PDA

View Full Version : Website for Hamlet Chisels

smidsy
2nd December 2004, 08:21 PM
Anyone know of website that has the full range of hamlet chisels in some decent detail, doesn't have to be an Oz site since I will probably buy from Southside or Carbatec here in Perth.

Cheers
Paul

gatiep
2nd December 2004, 08:31 PM
http://www.hamlet-crafttools.com/

Paul,
The Hamlet home page link is about the best you'll get on their tools on the web.

:)

PS.
The pm data base seems to have a problem, I sent you a message, please advise if it does not show up.

smidsy
2nd December 2004, 09:42 PM
Hei Joe,
Thanks for that, got two notifications and one message.
Checked out the Hamlet website, the bowl gouge section is down and the PDF brochure they have has only slightly more info than the Carbatec catalogue.
I shall keep on the site for when they fix it - or maybe the site doesn't like Netscape.
Cheers
Paul

Cliff Rogers
2nd December 2004, 10:22 PM
...- or maybe the site doesn't like Netscape.

G'day.

Site works fine with IE6.

smidsy
2nd December 2004, 11:04 PM
Hei Cliff,
In both IE and Netscape I can get in to site, I can select woodturning from the left hand menu but I get a 404 error when I try to get the bowl gouges page from the menu that comes up in the main window.

Not that it really matters, I was trying to get info on which gouge is the half inch deep fluted bowl gouge (is a deep fluted bowl gouge any different to standard bowl gouge?) so I could get a price, but Carbatecs cat numbers don't have any correlation to the Hamlet numbers so I shall have to make a call in the morning.
Cheers
Paul

Cliff Rogers
3rd December 2004, 12:45 AM
...I get a 404 error when I try to get the bowl gouges page ...

Yeah, that's a coding problem.... with them, not you, they Fug'dup

I really like the Crown 12-13mm (1/2"?) bowl gouge.
It has a flute like the Henry Taylor Super flute.
It's a deep eliptical flute & works well with a long grind like the Elsworth.
The 2 that I got from a traveling salesman have extra long flutes & I mean, they go further towards the handle so you can keep grinding them & using them for longer before the flute runs out.

smidsy
3rd December 2004, 01:02 AM
There's a couple of guys at my club that have a half inch bowl gouge that is fairly long and has very deep side walls.
I'm hoping I can get a hamlet version of that chisel for a reasonable price because I have a half inch hamlet skew chisel that's a nice bit of gear.
Cheers
Paul

gatiep
3rd December 2004, 02:16 AM
Paul

The standard Hamlet 1/2" bowl gouge is the same depth as the super flutes around. It is IMHO the best balanced bowl gouge around and only $72-00 handled. That is one gouge I'll definately not buy unhandled, as it will not have the same fantastic grip as the factory handled version. I have been using one for a few years now and am consaidering getting a second one for a different grind and therefor know the price off hand.I think, without going to the shed to measure, the gouge + handle is 620 mm long and the flute run to almost the handle. Unless a weekend turner takes up permanent bowl gouge grinding, that gouge will last a lifetime. I have a 'long grind' on mine. The second one I want to grind with a convex bevel.

Ave a gud un!

reeves
3rd December 2004, 11:10 AM
Carbatec, MIK, Timbecom, Hare/forbes, Gary Pye and others all have em.

smidsy
7th December 2004, 08:05 PM
Hei Joe,
I ended up getting one of these beasts today from Southside, sure looks a nice chisel.

Just gotta get some grinding jigs set up so I can do some turning while Liddlelow is closed.

Cheers
Paul

gatiep
8th December 2004, 02:00 AM
Congratulations Paul, now you have a 'real' bowl gouge. Just be sure to knock the sharp corners of the factory grind off when you sharpen it.

smidsy
8th December 2004, 08:41 PM
Hei Joe,
I got Reg to give it a touch up for me last night but I've left the factory shape on it.
With Liddlelow closing for xmas I need to make my own grinding jigs, (planning on using the Liddlelow pattern because it's simple and it works) any idea where I can get the steel at a reasonable price in small quantities?

I need about 2 metres of 25mm square, and about a metre of something that the 25mm will fit snugly inside.

Cheers
Paul