PDA

View Full Version : The written wish list

Cliff Rogers
3rd December 2004, 12:12 AM
G'day.

Here's a tip that's not only related to woodwork, it's just that in my case, 4 of the 5 things I put on the list were woodwork related.

Make a wish list. :rolleyes:

Make it realistic, putting a mute blonde with big assets whose father owns a pub on the list is not realistic. :D
Don't bother putting things on it that you know you can buy tomorrow if you really need it.
Don't bother putting stuff on it like 'win lotto'. :cool:

Write it down & put a date on it & put it in a safe place.

4 years ago I made a list of 5 items that I wanted to get in the next 5 years.... I just crossed the last one off, I've got the lot now. :)

The last item was my new DC1200 & pleated filter & it was the cheapest item on the list. ;)

It works, it gives you something to focus on, you can pull it out & cross stuff off as you get it or if you change your mind & you can add stuff to it.

Try it, you've got nothing to loose.
Just make it realistic, set a time frame, put it in writing, & you'll do it.

silentC
3rd December 2004, 08:40 AM
You missed the most important step, Cliff: then give it to your wife and tell her "this is what I want for Christmas" ;)

Wongo
3rd December 2004, 08:57 AM
Don't bother putting stuff on it like 'win lotto'. :cool:

Oh damn!

Cliff you had the patience to wait 4 years for a DC!!! Well done.

Iain
3rd December 2004, 12:30 PM
Could have been that he had nogthing to connect a DC to :D or a shed (been there done that).
Win Lotto, after 2 big wins I don't bother anymore, $16.00 & $25.00.

outback
3rd December 2004, 12:32 PM
Would it be realistic enough if I wish the blonde's father leased a pub?

Corunetes
12th December 2004, 10:02 AM
[QUOTE=Cliff Rogers]
The last item was my new DC1200 & pleated filter & it was the cheapest item on the list. ;)

What's a DC1200?

Cliff Rogers
13th December 2004, 05:02 PM
What's a DC1200?

http://store.yahoo.com/gpwoodturning/2hpduscol.html

Corunetes
13th December 2004, 05:17 PM
http://store.yahoo.com/gpwoodturning/2hpduscol.html

Gotcha........ Thanx Cliff!

Bruce Micheal
7th February 2005, 08:44 PM
Cliff
I know what you ment?
It's sometimes great to philosophical, particullarly about the acheivements one makes.
I agree with you, several years ago I gave up the grog , wild women etc, etc and am now the proud owner of three (3) blocks of land in down town Condamine (2500m3 each). By the end of this year I will have my "dream shed" plonked on one of these blocks.

By the way, how big is a dream shed?

Rocker
7th February 2005, 08:51 PM
Well, you learn something new every day on this forum; I never realised that Condamine had a downtown :)

Rocker

Bruce Micheal
7th February 2005, 09:07 PM
Well, you learn something new every day on this forum; I never realised that Condamine had a downtown :)

Rocker
Obviously Rocker you where Condamine is! The center of the universe!!!!!!!
I used to live at Woodford and did all of my high schooling at Caboolture.
Yes I must admit, Elimbah has a "down town",but is at at the Beerburrum end or Caboolture end?
Condamine's got a pub!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (it's own)

Corunetes
7th February 2005, 09:56 PM
I know a bit about Condamine.............. I was on my way to visit relatives in Biloela and decided to stop there and have a picnic lunch............ The flies and the BIG, BIG ants weren't real bad but as we sat down to eat, a truck drove past very slowly allowing the Elephants (Yes, Elephants!)on the back to tear branches off the tree we were sitting under........ Tends to make one remember Condamine..........

Iain
8th February 2005, 08:11 AM
Cliff

By the way, how big is a dream shed?
About 50% bigger than what you thought when you started building it :D

Cliff Rogers
8th February 2005, 11:17 AM
By the way, how big is a dream shed?Mine's 6m x 9m & 4m high at the peak with 3 rollers doors & 3m verandahs on the long sides.

I think I'm going to have to get a couple of shipping containers to store my timber in. :)

silentC
8th February 2005, 12:18 PM
I think I'm going to have to get a couple of shipping containers to store my timber in
I'm trying to track some of them down. There was a guy advertising in the local paper last year but he has disappeared. Any ideas on where to get one (or three)? I initially want one so I can store all my tools and stuff in while the new shed is getting built. I thought it would then make a good storage/wood shed down the track.

craigb
8th February 2005, 12:52 PM
I'm trying to track some of them down. There was a guy advertising in the local paper last year but he has disappeared. Any ideas on where to get one (or three)? I initially want one so I can store all my tools and stuff in while the new shed is getting built. I thought it would then make a good storage/wood shed down the track.

Have a look in the Yellow Pages under:

Home > WHERE: New South Wales > WHAT: Cargo & Freight Containers &/or Services >

Turned up several companies that sell containers. Most have web sites too.

silentC
8th February 2005, 01:31 PM
Turns out there's only one mob from Sydney that come down here (according to Yellow Pages postcode search). They want $2600 for a reconditioned 20 footer plus $770 for delivery. There is one in Canberra, which is a bit closer, so I might try them.

Cliff Rogers
8th February 2005, 02:34 PM
Yellow pages under Cargo & Freight Containers for Sale or Hire.

Rocker
8th February 2005, 03:53 PM
Yes I must admit, Elimbah has a "down town",but is at at the Beerburrum end or Caboolture end?
Condamine's got a pub!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (it's own)

Bruce,

Elimbah's downtown has a newsagent, fast-food joint with petrol bowsers, a bakery and a computer store, but no pub; downtown is at the Beerburrum end. In recent years, virtually all the country between the railway and the Bruce Highway has been carpeted with MacMansions, and Elimbah is now on the northern edge of the urban footprint of Brisbane, according to the latest planning report.

Rocker

echnidna
8th February 2005, 07:19 PM

Reckon if you painted one black and used exhust fans in the right places you would get a neat solar kiln cheap.

Rocker
9th February 2005, 09:01 PM

SilentC,

Wouldn't it be more economical and safer to store your tools in a storage facility like National Storage? I put my valuables in one of their storage lockers whenever I travel.

Rocker

silentC
10th February 2005, 07:59 AM
We do have one of those storage mobs here. I don't know how much they charge but we will probably find out when we move unless we can rent a big house.

I'm thinking more about the stuff I will need while building the shed so that I don't have to cart it all out there every weekend. Looking at the prices I've found so far, I think I will just buy a garden shed, put a padlock on it, and hope 'the family' don't get to know about it.

craigb
10th February 2005, 09:24 AM
Jeez mate, you country people are a trusting lot.

Lets see, a garden shed on a (presumably) isolated bush block, only protected by a padlock. :eek:

May as well paint a sign on it saying "Goodies inside, please steal". :D

Or would that only happen in Sydney? :D

silentC
10th February 2005, 09:33 AM
Did I mention the rabid Rottweiler chained outside the door and the man trap and spike pit just inside?

But seriously, it's not a huge problem around here. I have mentioned 'the family' in another thread. Apart from them, it's mostly vandalism. The druggies aren't such a problem down here because they just go out in the bush and grow their own ;) I admit I'd feel better about it if the stuff was in a nice solid shipping container than if it was in a sheetmetal shed though.

If anyone knicked anything, they'd have to take it out of the area to sell it otherwise word would get around and heads would get kicked.