PDA

View Full Version : Split System - Ideal wiring setup ?

tcns
3rd December 2004, 12:32 AM
Further to my previous thread,

Having a closer look at 1.0HP unit here now, from what I can gather the indoor unit has a 10A plug on the end of it and there is a connecting loom that runs down to the outdoor unit.... So as far as I can tell the outdoor unit grabs power via a set of terminals from the indoor unit. Am I on the right track ?

As previously mentioned I got my sparkie to put an isolator switch and a 15A circuit in which is setup where the outdoor unit goes - so I guess the thing to do is to cut the 10A plug off, join it with some insulated wire and then run it down the outside of the house with the piping and wire it into the isolator (of course I will get my sparkie mate to do this but does that sound right.)

I would be happier with that setup I think rather than just plugging the inside unit into 10A plug on a regular circuit - even though the house has been re-wired and the thing only draws 4A continual - what do you all reckon ?

Tom

arms
3rd December 2004, 07:03 AM
you are spot on,i did the same thing and hard wired a circuit to where the pump was only to find that the power came from the other unit inside the house,if you are going to join the cable use a junction box and the proper joiners that will come with it NOT INSULATION TAPE AS THIS CAN CAUSE SPARKS WHICH HAVE A HABIT OF TURNING INTO FIRE ,

kind regards
tom armstrong
www.armstrongcabinets.com.au (http://www.armstrongcabinets.com.au)

tcns
3rd December 2004, 09:30 AM
No worries,

I am more a "propper joiner" than lekky tape kinda guy :)
so I will get that done, do they do a jbox small enough to sit inside the head
unit that way it won't be ugly(ier) than it has to be ?

Thanks for the info
Tom

arms
4th December 2004, 08:29 AM
the j boxes you can buy are small but not small enough to fit into the head you will have to join the cable with the box then place it inside the wall behind the head so as you cant see it from the outside then run the cable back to the motor behind the pipes

kind regards
tom armstrong
www.armstrongcabinets.com.au (http://www.armstrongcabinets.com.au)

No worries,

I am more a "propper joiner" than lekky tape kinda guy :)
so I will get that done, do they do a jbox small enough to sit inside the head
unit that way it won't be ugly(ier) than it has to be ?

Thanks for the info
Tom

marineman
5th December 2004, 09:03 AM
Tom

Another suggestion rather than join the wire is to have your leckky wire up to the head and replace the wire with the plug end. It should be a pretty easy matter to thread the new wire along the route of the old wire in to the terminal box on th einside unit.

cheers

John

tcns
5th December 2004, 12:07 PM
Tom

Another suggestion rather than join the wire is to have your leckky wire up to the head and replace the wire with the plug end. It should be a pretty easy matter to thread the new wire along the route of the old wire in to the terminal box on th einside unit.

cheers

John
Nice one John that would be a bit of a better option,

Cheers

Tom