PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane www show. What's the mood?

Greg Ward
4th April 2011, 06:04 PM
I know it's been hard in Brisbane this year ...... but
Mal (Boutique Timbers) hasn't heard anything from anyone regarding the show and

Greg Ward
7th April 2011, 07:15 AM
It seems my last thread was cut short? Anyway, I was wondering about the forthcoming show.

Just wondering what the mood is like in Brisbane regarding the May show?
Is anyone planning to go?
Is it expected to be a success or will recent floods etc. keep everyone away and short of funds?

It has been unusually quiet from the Brisbane mob?
Mal would appreciate some feedback on what to expect. he is going in any event.
Thanks
Greg

damian
7th April 2011, 11:46 AM
What flood ? Oh that...that was MONTHS ago :)

Thing is there are 3 seperate groups in Brisbane. The very great majority were not affected at all. The second group like me had some issues (I was cut off from home for 4 days and there was no food in the shops), and the third group lost their homes and workplaces.

The chap at the next desk lost his home and is one of the many unhappy RACQ insurance customers. These people are usually displaced and having real problems. I expect they won't be going to too many shows. The rest of us are getting on with our lives.

I cannot speak for north queensland. My relatives are fine but I don't know about others.

So perhaps numbers wil be down but there will be people going. If I go it'll mainly be to get some woodsmith back numbers, but I have to weigh getting them posted against paying the entry fee.

(Brace yourselves) I don't need any tools or equipment....(Big statment that) :D

Charleville
7th April 2011, 05:53 PM
In reality, the floods in Brissy really only affect a relatively small percentage of the greater Brisbane area albeit everyone feels for the people who were affected.

Accordingly, I would not really think that the flood would make any impact on attendance numbers.

I will certainly be going.

fishflog
10th April 2011, 11:44 AM
I will be attending with the same group that go every year, fortunately none of were directly affected by the floods. Hope to see you all there.

Brian B

duncang
19th April 2011, 09:05 AM
I will be going along - it is only my second TWWW show. Last year I didn't really know what to expect, but I picked up half a dozen back copies of Woodsmith (excellent magazine) and had a good look around.

For me, the most useful thing is access to the timber merchants. I've found one of the most difficult things about getting into wood working is finding out where to buy specialty timbers. The timber sellers (at least in Qld) just don't seem to have a good web presence, and I'm too busy at work during the day to call during business hours. I'm not sure if buying timber at the show is really the way to get the best deal, but I'm happy to support the vendors who make the effort, so I will probably pick up a small bundle. The live demos and classes are also really excellent.

If the numbers at the Big B last weekend are anything to go by, people in general have plenty of money to spend. Like others have said, a relatively small number of people have been badly affected by the floods - I know about half a dozen people who couldn't live in their unit blocks for 2 months because the basements were flooded; and a few people whose houses were inundated; one person who completely lost their house. I really feel for the people who don't have the insurance coverage or other means to repair their houses :no:.

Penqueen
22nd April 2011, 08:17 PM
Greg, members of the Toowoomba District Woodclub will be there including myself. The Ipswich Wood Club will be exhibiting and demonstrating their skills. The Ipswich woodies clubhouse was completely flooded in January so they had a big cleanup. I imagine people from Bundaberg and Gympie clubs will be there too as they were last year.

mkypenturner
30th April 2011, 03:58 PM
im making the journey down from mackay i think our club will have a few members going as well