PDA

View Full Version : Huon Pine, love that smell

sturina
4th April 2011, 08:29 PM
Hi All. As the pen turners know I recently got a new lathe so it was time to test it out on something bigger than a pen. I had a peice of Huon pine waiting to go, so I turned this small bowl up, finished with ultrashine and shellawax. I was happy with this one and the shed smells so much better for my efforts. Which other woods smell this good?

mattocks
4th April 2011, 08:41 PM
Beautiful bowl, nice clean lines. What are it's dimensions?. I don't think anything smells as good as huon.

Cheers

Frank

mkypenturner
4th April 2011, 08:42 PM
nice work :2tsup: camphor laurel is another one to use

benupton
4th April 2011, 08:46 PM
Nice bowl!! Huon is a very nice smell and so if dry camphor, green is a little over powering. :2tsup::2tsup:

Avery
4th April 2011, 09:48 PM
Lovely shape. That thin edge is really nice, it looks almost translucent around the edge.

thompy
4th April 2011, 10:11 PM
Really nice sturina :2tsup: could the old one have done it? and well yeh kinda stalking you on this lol:U

sturina
5th April 2011, 01:03 PM
Thompy I turned a few on the old one with out issues (except my own learning). I found it easier on this probably as i changed speeds a bit more as it was always a pain in the old one. You can keep stalking, though suck up to SWMBO and take the plunge. I will admit I am enjoying my turning a lot more since I made the change.

TTIT
5th April 2011, 10:32 PM
..... Which other woods smell this good?As a lover of smelly woods myself, you can't go past Sandalwood, False Sandalwood or Rose Mahogany . . . . . . but then I like the smell of Budgeroo and Gidgee too so maybe you shouldn't listen to me :shrug:

powderpost
5th April 2011, 10:39 PM
Red cedar doesn't smell too bad either..
Jim

artme
5th April 2011, 11:07 PM
Love the bowl!!! Love the smell!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Boree smells like violets.

robyn2839
15th April 2011, 04:53 PM
coachwood is the best ,and raspberry jam from wa..........bob