PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane Computer Shops?

smidsy
5th April 2011, 09:08 PM
Hei Guys,
Moving over soon and will need to build a pc, can anyone recommend a few computer shops, ideally around the Caboolture area but Sunshine Coast or closer to Brisbane is ok.

What I want is somewhere that sells components at a reasonable prices, keeps decent stock and has everything listed on a website so I can work out what I need.
I know I could just google, but I figure that people here will also tell me who to avoid.
Cheers
Paul

q9
5th April 2011, 09:11 PM
Umart - umart.com.au - I think they even have a sunshine coast shop now too. But I just get stuff delivered - cheaper than brisbane parking!

Cliff Rogers
5th April 2011, 09:43 PM
MSY.

MSY Online (http://www.msy.com.au)

play with the store selector on the web site to find one near you.

The Slacks Creek store is the biggest but I have bought stuff from Brendale out on the north side too.

nick_b00
5th April 2011, 09:55 PM
No need to find a store - Apple (http://www.apple.com/au) delivers......

Don't want to start a debate though, so:
I'll second Umart - I have used the Milton store for years for myself (until I got an iMac :2tsup:) and still do for friends / family.

Nick

andrewr79
10th April 2011, 02:22 PM
MSY as mentioned is generally good on prices. GameDude goes up and down but seems quite reasonable, I've bought from there before.

I know they are Melbourne based but pccasegear is my go to online shop - even with the very reasonable shipping charges they generally beat the range and prices for anything I can get in Sydney. The good thing about a online only retailer is they don't have a bunch of floor stock that they try to push on you, they often get from a wholesaler when needed so the prices stay down. I've bought about three pc's worth of parts from them, and packaging, delivery costs and times and customer service has been fantastic each time.

witch1
10th April 2011, 06:01 PM
I dealt with msy in sydney and always got good results, since moving to brissy I have used u-mart and have no complaints with them either, especially good delivery service.
Witch1

damian
11th April 2011, 10:41 AM
I'd just like to NOT recommend a computer store. ACE computer world at Ipswich and Sumner Park.

I bought a case off them years ago only to discover the power supply didn't work. When I went for a return they refused and I discovered to my horror how weak our consumer laws really are. Just a heads up for anyone considering doing business with them.

munruben
11th April 2011, 11:33 AM
Computer market on this Sunday at Pine Rivers Showground. This is a regular event and many regular traders attend. New and used components are on offer and usually much cheaper than most stores. The traders are pretty honest and try to satisfy their customers and are very approachable and helpful.
Take a look at the website. (http://www.sundaycomputermarket.com.au/)

Oops, I see the market at Pine Rivers was Sunday just gone. but it is on every month and you will find out the next date on the website.

Good luck.:2tsup:

andrewr79
11th April 2011, 08:40 PM
You'll find the fairs move around, there's two lots in NSW - the computer fairs and computer markets. Good old google will give you their sites.

The only issue with fairs is often the vendor support on the odd chance a part fails, which isn't any more often than if you'd bought at a retail shop. I had a mobo that failed, trying to get it to a vendor 100km away that wouldn't accept it posted was a little difficult!. I have however had plenty of parts that have worked for years without issue, and if you only have to go back to the manufacturer it's no issue anyway.

and still, pccasegear generally beats them all for prices :)

q9
11th April 2011, 08:59 PM
Just another caution at buying at non retail sites (fairs etc)...some suppliers have been ditching flood damaged, but still sealed, gear en masse. Most of it should be ok, but would you want to pay full retail for it?

munruben
12th April 2011, 05:20 PM
Good idea is to try and establish how long a particular trader has been operating at a particular market, This information is available for the market I mentioned in my earlier post. on the link I posted to the website. Some of the traders there have been attending for several years.

smidsy
10th July 2011, 07:34 AM
Hei Guys,
I ended getting all the gear (a full system but in parts) from MSY.
Price and service were good and the system has been running like clock 24/7 for the last 12 weeks.
Cheers