PDA

View Full Version : What heavy stuff to get from the UK?

Stephen H
5th April 2011, 11:19 PM
Hi guys, as part of a reno I'm importing from the UK a container load of whitegoods and furniture etc (saving 50%+ even after freight and import costs!). I've only used about 2/3rds of the 20ft container and would love to fill it up with things that I want instead of stupid kitchen stuff, so that got me to thinking about my new and rather sparse workshop...

So, if freight and weight were no issue, are there any carpentry toys that are cheap in England/Europe but expensive in Australia (or perhaps just not available here at all)?

Any ideas welcome as this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me.

Jim Grant
6th April 2011, 06:01 PM
I scour tool shops all over the UK every time I visit to look for bargains. To be honest I've found nothing that isn't less expensive in Australia! It's a pity that you couldn't stock up on hardwood such as oak and the likes as that is certainly cheaper in the UK and much easier to find also. I doubt that AQIS would be happy with that.

Jim Carroll
6th April 2011, 06:08 PM
Hope you dont have any warranty issues.

Long way to send back.:oo:

Stephen H
6th April 2011, 07:04 PM
I scour tool shops all over the UK every time I visit to look for bargains. To be honest I've found nothing that isn't less expensive in Australia! It's a pity that you couldn't stock up on hardwood such as oak and the likes as that is certainly cheaper in the UK and much easier to find also. I doubt that AQIS would be happy with that.

Yeah, I've been looking at the UK websites and can't find anything that screams bargain. I had considered bringing in some timber, but the AQIS hurdles just warn me off.

Stephen H
6th April 2011, 07:10 PM
Hope you dont have any warranty issues.

Long way to send back.:oo:

Certainly is! My calculation is that because the overall savings are huge and because I'm buying excellent brands then it doesn't matter if one or two appliances are dodgy as I'm still way ahead. Way I see it I've got $15,000 worth of repair call outs!

Christos
7th April 2011, 03:52 PM
Way I see it I've got $15,000 worth of repair call outs!

One service call or two. :U

orraloon
8th April 2011, 03:43 PM
I would check out some of the uk tool places like Axminster who will deliver free in the uk. With the exchange rate as it is there is some saving to be made and you will get back the VAT so there is another 17%. Traul a few web sites first before you let that container space go to waste.
Regards
John

bsrlee
9th April 2011, 06:47 PM
You could fill it up with some Aga stoves, then E-bay them. A friend bought her double Aga stove in the UK, then had it shiped out here. Tasteful raspberry in a white/cream kitchen.

catsteve
10th April 2011, 09:05 PM
get yourself some big 'ol english made Vises. maybe a lathe

J Parkinson & Son Plain Machine Vice (1667) | eBay UK (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/J-Parkinson-Son-Plain-Machine-Vice-1667-/190275997293?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c4d554e6d#ht_500wt_922)

Record Vice 112 6" jaws Heavy Duty Quick release | eBay UK (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Record-Vice-112-6-jaws-Heavy-Duty-Quick-release-/220764054683?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item336690249b#ht_500wt_1156)