PDA

View Full Version : Instant pole lathe.

RETIRED
6th April 2011, 06:37 PM
Presentation (http://argenteriedesbauges.free.fr/technique1.htm)

The whole site is worth a look.

tea lady
6th April 2011, 07:24 PM
I love it! I'm going out to plant my trees now! :D

texx
6th April 2011, 07:29 PM
the way electricity prices are going we may be going full circle back to foot powered lathes .
may have to hook one up to an exercise bike , and the grinder to a treadmill .
gee the wife will get fit while i turn ( although she is skinny enough now )
the way people pay for the use of a gym these days could we charge them for the privilege of powering our workshops.

John Saxton
6th April 2011, 08:27 PM
with my crook knee I better stick to the power version:D

Cheer:)

More_Firewood
6th April 2011, 08:46 PM
Hi

I built one recently from one of Roy Underhill's book. As you can see from the clamps it still needs some refinement.

Andrew

cookie48
6th April 2011, 08:52 PM
Does it come in right leg version? My left leg no good for that.

More_Firewood
6th April 2011, 08:57 PM
Right leg models come with the pedal on the other side :U

RETIRED
6th April 2011, 09:57 PM
Hi

I built one recently from one of Roy Underhill's book. As you can see from the clamps it still needs some refinement.

AndrewLooks like you have enough trees to build a few.:D

Fuzzie
7th April 2011, 07:33 AM
Andrew,

I like the position of the springy pole on your model. I've occasionally thought about building one but always thought positioning an overhead whippy pole would be a problem.
:2tsup:

John Lucas
7th April 2011, 08:04 AM
I love to play on the spring pole lathe. I do demo's about once a year on mine. Here's a video some of the students did of me. they had a project to do for class and I told them I would be glad to do it.
YouTube - Appalachian Woodturning

joevan
7th April 2011, 10:54 AM
This would be a nice project for Ken W to start to turn his intricate finials for his new "box series" and do a demo at next years turn fest. The lathe would have be constructed as used by the american turner to turn his chair legs and not the constuction used by the french turner.

Joevan

sparkie54
7th April 2011, 12:45 PM
If you want to save electricity. I found this lathe last year in Skipton England but you need a partner to turn the large wheel