PDA

View Full Version : cigar with opal

seriola
8th April 2011, 07:06 PM
Having recently turned a sedona that had a piece of abalone shell within the wood I thought I would have a go at inserting some opal into a blank. The photography skills are not too flash but was trying to show some colour from the opal. The blank is local red mallee burl, a large chunk of the bottom blank blew out just as I got it within a ghnats kneecap of size, fortunately it was in one piece and I found it amongst the shavings.

minus459
9th April 2011, 02:02 AM
seriolo, I've been planning something similar for a while. Now I'll just have to steal your idea :U
Beautiful pen, blank and idea.

undies

artme
9th April 2011, 09:22 AM
I like that - a lot!!:):):) Very well done!!!:2tsup:

BettyBoop
9th April 2011, 10:01 AM
that does look very nice is it difficult to turn opal

seriola
10th April 2011, 10:51 AM
that does look very nice is it difficult to turn opal

HI, I did'nt turn the opal, just used a dremel to enlarge holes in the blank. Used CA to secure it and build up to blank size with more CA, cheers seriola

seriola
10th April 2011, 10:59 AM
seriolo, I've been planning something similar for a while. Now I'll just have to steal your idea :U
Beautiful pen, blank and idea.

undies

Thanks for the comments, I'm sure it would have all been done before. Opal was a substituted for my original plan as I could'nt find what I needed on the day. Hopefully I will get the original concept done this week, cheers, seriola