PDA

View Full Version : Thicknessers - Big+Solid vs Dewalt

NZStu
8th April 2011, 09:33 PM
Evening all. Just after a few quick opinions here:

My father is looking at buying a thicknesser, and has come across this one on Trademe:

Thicknesser - Tanner GB165 serial #002 | Trade Me (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Building-renovation/Tools/Power-tools/Planers/auction-366227052.htm)

Looks very solid and well built, and being a Tanner it will last forever. However, he doesn't have a vast amount of workshop space, so it needs to be weighed up against a portable option, namely something like this Dewalt 735: DeWALT THICKNESER | Trade Me (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Building-renovation/Tools/Power-tools/Planers/auction-366525349.htm)

On paper (power, capacity etc) there isn't much between them. Question is, how much better is a big, heavy standalone machine than a decent portable?

Any thoughts and opinions gratefully received!

cookie48
9th April 2011, 12:22 AM
I have only used a portable one. But one big problem with it. It weighs a bloody ton, and is a pain in the butt to move every time.

orraloon
9th April 2011, 06:45 AM
I have only used a portable also and as said even that is heavy. The answer is to mount it on wheels, whatever way you go.
Regards
John

fletty
9th April 2011, 08:02 AM
Hi Stu,
For many years I used bench mounted thicknessers (although not as good as the DeWalt) and accepted the sore back, screaming motor and burning one out each year as part of doing woodwork in a home workshop. I eventually bit the bullet and bought a floor mounted induction motor thicknesser (mine is a Carbatec) and have stopped annoying both my back AND the neighbours. Yes, it is bigger but I have it on wheels and push it out of the way when I don't need it. The quality of work is far superior even without spiral heads BUT you will need a dust collector as it's removal rate is much higher.
fletty

artme
9th April 2011, 09:30 AM
Have you thought of one of the "open side"type thicknessers? they weigh a bit less and you can always turn wider boards around and run them through to do the other side.