PDA

View Full Version : Insulation

mrsxtro
3rd December 2004, 11:49 PM
Evening all.
Now that my kitchen reno is almost complete my roving eyes have latched on to the study area as the next thing on the to-do list. The 'study' is essentially just an enclosed verandah (approx. 6 m x 2.5m). The roof is plain old painted corrugated iron with no lining/ceiling what so ever. Consequently it gets very hot in here in summer and freezing cold in winter. So we are looking to line and insulate the roof. We have had a couple of suggestions thrown at us:
1. Make frame, line with plaster board, insulation material between iron roof and new ceiling.
2. Line with colourbond (to keep the authentic enclosed verandah look), insulation material between colourbond and iron.

Any thoughts on these 2 options? And any other terrific ideas?

Thanks in advance.
-mrsxtro.

barnsey
4th December 2004, 01:09 PM
Hi mrsxtro

Welcome to the board :)

If your room isn't going to have a rather low ceiling because of the roof profile I would suggest that a plasterboard ceiling with space between it and the roof will give you better insulating properties particularly if you have roof space ventilation. ;)

Well I guess that is based from a northern perspective (Gold Coast) and if you are in southern climes some may contend that this changes the requirement because of the winter you experience. :confused:

I'm sure there will be others to pass on to you their experience.

Jamie

wombat47
5th December 2004, 08:03 AM
We have what used to be a return verandah which was closed in in 1927 (the builder kindly wrote his name and the date on one of the wall frames) and divided up into a front verandah room, a side entry and a long, narrow room which we use as an almost spare bedroom.

The sloped ceilings were old tongue and groove attached directly to the rafters. The boards had shrunk and left huge gaps between them.

We left the ceiling boards in place, whacked up some 2x1 pine battens, stapled thin bats to the ceiling in between the battens, and then put up Gyprock ceiling. Added cornice (a real bugger to get those corners right but eventually discovered that by tilting the cornice on a lightly different angle for each wall, we could make it fit).

The side entry and bedroom have windows all the way along outside walls which face north. These are curtained with 100% block out and are now the coolest rooms in the house in summer. Easy to heat in winter and warmth is retained.

seriph1
5th December 2004, 08:35 AM
hey MRSX

Shoot some pics over and let's see what the roofiing conditions, walling and windows are .... also what direction does the study face?

MarkV
5th December 2004, 06:11 PM
2. Line with colourbond (to keep the authentic enclosed verandah look) EEK:eek: personally I hate the fact that previous owners of my Old Queeenslander closed in the verandahs. It's just cheap IMHO. But if you want to keep the look I would suggest putting up a bit of a frame for the insulation to lie between and fitting Pine lining boards.