PDA

View Full Version : Results now available - Entries for the 2011 Pallet Challenge Mk II!

RufflyRustic
3rd April 2011, 09:12 PM
Here are the entries for the 2011 Pallet Challenge Mk II.

I hope you enjoy browsing the entries. Don't forget to vote for your Favourite. Voting will close on Sunday, 6pm (AEST) 17 April 2011. The winner will be announced soon after.

A big thank you to the Entrants for their fine work.:2tsup:

RufflyRustic
3rd April 2011, 09:13 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/video/Entry1.jpg

2nd Place - springwater

:thewave::thewave:

It's a painting of an Egyptian rioter with bread wrapped around his head in
what I assume was an attempt to protect himself from stones. I tried to make
him look like graffiti painted on an ancient wall.

Material used:
Crapiola Pine, PVA glue, various coloured tints of Earls Powder Putty,
various coloured Acrylic paint, coloured Textas, pencil and chalk. I'll
eventually seal it with spray-on varnish.

RufflyRustic
3rd April 2011, 09:14 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/video/Entry2.jpg

3rd Place - Ruddy
:wave:

It is a toy train and is 100% made from the pallet. There are no screws or nails and every
part is made from the pallet. The glue is Titebond 2 and the finish is Cabots Poly satin.
The rosewood stain is a Feast Watson product.

RufflyRustic
3rd April 2011, 09:14 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/video/Entry3.jpg

christos

A CD stand, holding 22 CDs. I cut the groves using a sled on the table saw.
Sanded to 320 grit and finished with Danish oil. The wood, I think, is pine.

RufflyRustic
3rd April 2011, 09:15 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/video/Entry4.jpg

kiwi007

A while ago a school custodian called me up to offer me some timber they had from some classrooms that they were renovating. So when I went to look at the wood they were throwing away, I noticed a few old classroom foot operated piano organs that were also heading for the tip. When I asked about them they said I could have them. Now, one is in my workshop in a state of ‘renovation’. When this competition came up and I decided to take part, I originally wanted to build a table – I need one for the ‘Tea House’ I am building. But when that wasn’t on I came up with the idea of making a piano set – a small piano stool, a small cupboard for my wife’s old school piano music and a hanging lamp. Well, I am submitting the first two. The lamp isn’t finished – came across a few technical hitches, and ran out of time. I have used only wood from the pallet. And what a mixed bag it ended up being. Some was as soft as Balsa, and other was as hard as ‘the hobs of hell’. So I tried to build using the different types of wood as features in themselves. The only other material I used was some white glue and spray can clear lacquer. The hinges of the cupboard were made with the nails from the pallet. As was the door catch. The hanging lamp was to have a chain made with the nails in the pallet. Maybe I will post a pic of it when I finish it later this week.

So my entry stands at a set of two things: a piano stool and a music book cupboard. Thank you.

RufflyRustic
3rd April 2011, 09:15 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/video/Entry5.jpg

:fireworks:1st Place - waveink :fireworks:

This little side table is mostly made from pine. It stands 500mm tall, and measures
500mm from corner to corner across the 'knees'. The curved aprons are from tapered
laminates cut out of the slats on the top of the pallet, the legs are cut from the
main pine cross braces, the inlay details and top are from some unidentified
hardwood fence palings that someone had used to replace a couple of the slats on the
bottom side.

The legs also needed a veneer on one side (cut from the top slats) -
the nail holes went so far into the legs that they shows on the outside. The mitre
joints are dominoed, and each join where the aprons meet has two dowels. The top is
not fixed in, due to possible expansion issues, so its just sitting in the opening
with a 1 mm gap all around - its sitting on three short pegs drilled into the inside
of the aprons. I finished it all with three coats of wiping varnish, then wax rubbed
it with 0000 steel wool.

RufflyRustic
3rd April 2011, 09:22 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/video/Entry6.jpg

jdreburn

I am building a new model of a a fresh air machine that was invented by NASA some
25 years ago. It consists of a plant growing in a thin bed of dirt over a layer of
activated charcoal. There is an air fan or blower that pushes air through the
charcoal where any dirt or toxic gases get absorbed into the charcoal. The roots of
the plant grow into the charcoal and eat the nasty stuff that is trapped there. The
charcoal cleans the air and the plants cleans the charcoal as well as producing
oxygen for people to breath.
The jpg "torn down pallet" shows the pallet after I took it apart. The jpg "box side shows the resawn pieces glued up and made into a side panel.The jpg "door' is the panel that will be the front to the box. The box is 16" on a side. That 405mm in real world numbers.

RufflyRustic
3rd April 2011, 09:22 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/video/Entry7.jpg

spencer 411

Woven seat Bench
The finish is wipe on poly, 2 coats sanded back to 240 in between coats, then rubbed over with some cabinet makers wax with some 0000 steel wool.

I recently bought Sam Maloofs Woodworker and found a picture of him working on a
nice weaved bench and thought I'd give it a go. I've learnt heaps from doing this
project, which I'm really greatful for. There was a hell of a lot of sanding,
filing, sanding and a whole lot more filing. As for the finish on this little
doozie, I used wipe on poly, 2 coats sanded back to 240 in between coats, then I
gave it a rub over with some cabinet makers wax with some 0000 steel wool. It's the
first time I've used either of these finishes and I'm really pleased with the
outcome, it's still got a really nice natural feel to it. It was also the first time
I've ever attempted to weave and it was wicked. I'm pretty chuffed with the pattern
and am trying to think up how I'm going to use the rest of the thonging.

All in all I'm really stoked with the little seat and had a great time building it.

RufflyRustic
3rd April 2011, 09:23 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/video/Entry8.jpg

Claw Hama

It's in there somewhere!! :rolleyes::?:cool:

A Duke
12th April 2011, 12:18 PM
Impressive
Good luck to all.

coffenup
12th April 2011, 10:11 PM
great projects good luck to all:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Regards Michael

woodie2
13th April 2011, 08:40 PM
Great work to all that entered, even #8 (not sure how much work was done). Well done to all and good luck.

cookie48
14th April 2011, 08:48 PM
Congrats to all. All are very good, so must look at what can be used best. Sorry fellows but I go for 5.

Carvin' Mark
14th April 2011, 09:32 PM
Great stuff people! Wish I could vote a runner up too. Gotta agree on no5 but love no1 also. Good Luck all:2tsup:

chambezio
15th April 2011, 12:09 PM
Number 5 for me please
The gracefull lines and the two tone laminated grain effects :2tsup:
But not to take anything away from the other entrants.
To be able to see one article and let the grey cells imagine and then execute it into some thing completely different never fails to amaze me.
Good luck to all

Wongo
15th April 2011, 04:36 PM
#1 and #5 should be in a woodwork gallery somewhere. #1 deserves a lot more votes.

springwater
16th April 2011, 06:04 PM
I'm pretty sure I've got withdrawal symptoms now :rolleyes: So I went for a walk :) It's amazing who you meet but that's another story :cool:

RufflyRustic
17th April 2011, 07:32 PM
The results are released. Congratulations to the prize winners!! I will be in contact about your prizes over the next couple of days.

:2tsup::):2tsup::U:2tsup:

Blue-deviled
17th April 2011, 07:37 PM
The results are released. Congratulations to the prize winners!! I will be in contact about your prizes over the next couple of days.

:2tsup::):2tsup::U:2tsup:

Did I miss who they are?

watson
17th April 2011, 09:57 PM
Up the top of the thread mate.

Sir Stinkalot
17th April 2011, 10:06 PM
Well done all ..... good to have to try and make something with such limitations. Hopefully next time the hidden poll results function could be used to make the result unknown until the end. :2tsup:

Blue-deviled
17th April 2011, 10:20 PM
Up the top of the thread mate.

Oh, I thought htat was just a readers' poll. Weren't there other 'expert' judges?

springwater
17th April 2011, 10:34 PM
A hearty well done and congratulations to one and all for giving it a go :2tsup: Waveink what can I say :oo: :U if you can make that from a pallet I shudder to think what more your capable of, absolutely brilliant and a deserved winner by a hundred country miles :2tsup: Thanks very much to the person who donated the 500 cabinets book, it'll be very much appreciated :)

Claw Hama
17th April 2011, 10:57 PM
Well done to all, I'm a bit dirty my trailer didn't even one vote. Congrats to Waveink on 1st possie beautiful table and to Springy that is an amazing and powerful piece.
I just got snowed under at the last minute and got tied up putting in a submission to Sculputures by the Sea. Just have to wait and see if I make the cut now.
Well done to all and to the generous prize donators.

springwater
17th April 2011, 11:40 PM
Well done to all, I'm a bit dirty my trailer didn't even one vote. Congrats to Waveink on 1st possie beautiful table and to Springy that is an amazing and powerful piece.
I just got snowed under at the last minute and got tied up putting in a submission to Sculputures by the Sea. Just have to wait and see if I make the cut now.
Well done to all and to the generous prize donators.

Yeah bumma Craw, if it's any consulation the trailer got a chuckle. I was a bit concerned you went missing for a few shakes, hoping your sub makes the cut :2tsup: Thanks for the comment on my piece but really it was Breadman that did it, I don't even know his name, I tried to find out and couldn't even find the photo credit, hope he didn't mind :-

Harry72
18th April 2011, 03:21 AM
Well done guys, every entry is a winner in my books.

Claw Hama
18th April 2011, 07:51 AM
Its all about the fun after all. A huge thanks to Rufly for trying to keep everything going, great job Wendy:2tsup::U

RufflyRustic
18th April 2011, 09:48 AM
Well done all ..... good to have to try and make something with such limitations. Hopefully next time the hidden poll results function could be used to make the result unknown until the end. :2tsup:

Oh, I thought htat was just a readers' poll. Weren't there other 'expert' judges?

thank you all.

I have to bolt to 3 days training. But I will be back tonight to reply properly and also comment on the entries - been waiting to do that and and.... all the other stuff I need to do to finish the Challenge off neatly.

see you all tonight:)

Christos
18th April 2011, 08:34 PM
Some amazing wood working as I could not even vote for myself. :rotfl:

I'm a bit dirty my trailer didn't even one vote. .

I see you did the same thing Claw Hama. I was showing this site to people at work and one who is also a member. I did not tell him which one was mine until after the voting. :U

An I wish to say thank you Wendy for putting this together.

RufflyRustic
18th April 2011, 10:11 PM
The hidden poll - well.:( I was all set to use it and thought I had had it selected, but unfortunately, I had major internet problems on Sunday and so what should have taken 20 minutes in releasing the Entries thread ended up taking over 3 hours...... so end result is I stuffed up.:doh: Once I twigged what had happened, it was way too late to change it.

I decided it wouldn't change too much because the end result also included input from three Fellow Forumites in the role of judges, carefully selected for their woodworking knowledge and ability, their branch of wood working and that they have always kept their integrity and honour here as well as being respected by a very wide number of forumites, both lurkers and the more active amongst us. I will be keeping their identities anonymous and their judging results private for a few reasons, one being that I hope the opportunity arises to call upon them as judges again.

And so I would like to sincerely thank those three for their input as it wouldn't have been the easiest task, but was certainly an interesting one, Thank you! :2tsup:

Sir Stinkalot
18th April 2011, 10:44 PM
...... so end result is I stuffed up.:doh: Once I twigged what had happened, it was way too late to change it.

Hi Wendy .... I am not having a go at anybody just a suggestion for next time. I have no idea how to do the hidden poll, I just saw the big boss testing it out a few weeks ago.

The good thing about the hidden poll is that you need to vote for what you like and you do not get influenced by others. All in all all entries were very good. With any luck I will have the garage set up in time for the next one! :U

Woodwould
19th April 2011, 01:04 AM
Congratulations to waveink and to all the other entrants... including Claw! :q

waveink
19th April 2011, 01:30 AM
A very big thank you to Ruffly for keeping this whole thing running on track - and a special thank you to the very generous challenge sponsors for donating the prizes - what a treat. I must say I had a great time making the table, and already have orders for some 'proper' ones (as my wife says) made of hardwood. I also have a series of WIP photos of the process if anyone would be interested.

Thanks again Wendy, and to all those who voted - I'm very excited to win my first ever challenge. More to come (challenges I mean) in the future I hope. :2tsup:

cheers

pete
WaveInk

flynnsart
20th April 2011, 06:24 PM
Congratulations to all the entries:2tsup: A good effort by all.

It takes a bit to dream up and make something in a short timespan with a set amount of materials (and then offering it in public!) Participating in these challenges is awesome, and more people should have a go.

Winning the prizes is not the best part (although great :p), it is having the prompt to make something different and original that you normally wouldnt make. A real opportunity to stretch your creative self. Thanks Ruffly for your efforts. :2tsup:

Donna

RufflyRustic
21st April 2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks Guys and Gal!! I've enjoyed it, always fun to see what brilliant ideas people come up with. :)

no worries Sir Stinkalot :) no digs inferred at all. I'm sure I've kicked myself enough for my stuff up.:doh:

One last Annoucement too :) (and I didn't pick this, one of the judges did)

Most Creative Use of a Pallet Award - 2 vintage (1881) JB Addis carving gouges

Has been Awarded to

springwater
:2tsup::clap::clap::clap::clap::2tsup: