PDA

View Full Version : Does Machining Make You Tired?

Jarh73
10th April 2011, 07:13 PM
As the thread tittle says.

I really only get 5 or so hours working on my current project each Sunday.

Usually start around midday but by 4:30 I'm really stuffed!

I'm only 37 try to keep fit by running a couple of times a week and gym once a week.

I can't believe how much it takes out of me!
I'm not complaining mind you, as a do really enjoy it especially the satisfaction of getting something spot on.

Anyone else get tired?

Cheers

Justin

pipeclay
10th April 2011, 07:24 PM
Is that physically or mentally?

Dave J
10th April 2011, 07:35 PM
Sometimes it can get boring doing the same job or waiting for cuts while the power feed does the work which can become tiring. I have also been near a sleep on my feet after long hours in the shed, and it usually takes a mistake because I am tired to bring me to a stop and lock up for the night.

Maybe it's because your body relaxes a bit because your doing something you enjoy, with no time limit. It could also be, being in a quite environment on your own and winding down from a hectic week makes you tired..
Depending what your doing it can be a lot of mental energy is used up working things out, even though you have done very little manual work it can get tiring.

Dave

bollie7
10th April 2011, 07:54 PM
Could also be that your machines are not at the right height for you or that the lighting isn't good enough or its too bright.
What are you standing on when working the machine
bollie7

Jarh73
10th April 2011, 09:43 PM
It's probably 30/70 physically/mentally tired.

Lighting is good machine height is ok, it's on a stand.

Could do with a decent rubber mat under my feet.

Unwinding from the week in my own time makes sense as a reason. It is the end of the week after all.

I also think it's the learning. Each time I use the mill I either remember something I forgot or learn something new in terms of speed, feed, depth of cut etc etc.

Even making a mistake is a good learning experience.

Cheers

Justin

Stustoys
10th April 2011, 10:09 PM
I think learning also. Someone with experience would just do it, you think about things for longer and still miss things. I can visualise 3D from flat or flat from a 3D, easy, with my eyes closed, backwards if you like, inside out? no problem. Can I visualise that I need to pack the adaptor off the table to get the boring bar in... nope.
If you're having trouble now just wait until you get a shaper. Talk about putting you to sleep.

Stuart

Anorak Bob
10th April 2011, 10:15 PM
"If you're having trouble now just wait until you get a shaper. Talk about putting you to sleep."

..and when the job slips in the vise, you're suddenly awake :o

pipeclay
10th April 2011, 10:35 PM
If at all possable when you are machining a job that takes a while to finish a cut and it is makeing a repetive noise or tone,whether it be a lathe shaper mill etc you would be better off if you can walk away from it.

Repetive noise can be very hypnotic.

If on the other hand you are tending to get mentally tired I would suggest that you sit down and plan your jobs from start to finish,even to the extent of writeing down the processes step by step,at least this way most if not all the thinking is done before you start to machine.

Dave J
10th April 2011, 10:56 PM
"If you're having trouble now just wait until you get a shaper. Talk about putting you to sleep."

..and when the job slips in the vise, you're suddenly awake :o

LOL
That will get your attention quick

Dave

Stustoys
10th April 2011, 11:35 PM
I left a shaper alone at tech school, the teacher was less than happy :rolleyes:. Started foaming at the mouth about "You do that when you are working and you'll get the sack". My first boss disagreed.

So far I havent had anything shift in the shaper, I'm sure that will change.

I'd like an auto stop on the cross feed but the only way I can think of doing it is switching the VSD off, which I'm not sure I like.

Stuart

pipeclay
11th April 2011, 12:01 AM
The only time I have ever been questioned about leaveing machines running and unattended for periods is when I have had 3 going at once.

I only ever left them unattended when roughing.

Probably the wrong thing to do but it does break the monotomy of wait for a 6hr cut to finish.

azzrock
11th April 2011, 01:23 AM
i know after spending a few hours in front of a cylindrical grinder. i started to get the speed nods. after the the buz of using such a big quality machine wears off its fairly boaring.
except of course when its not going right.

QC Inspector
11th April 2011, 01:55 AM
I nod off now and then but I am not worried about "stuffing"a part.

Happens to me when I am driving. :oo: :oo: :oo:

Pete

eskimo
11th April 2011, 09:37 AM
Happens to me when I am driving. :oo: :oo: :oo:

now that is scary

eskimo
11th April 2011, 09:40 AM
ya working to hard...taking it too seriously or your missus is making you feel guilty

sit down have an ale or two

Lighting is a big factor as is good air circulation....coupled with a small break or two from your task

RayG
11th April 2011, 03:35 PM
Could do with a decent rubber mat under my feet.

Justin

I have some rubber floor matting I got from Clark Rubber, give it a try, it makes a world of difference compared to standing on concrete for long periods.

Regards
Ray

Anorak Bob
11th April 2011, 03:40 PM
Bunnies sell Indian rubber mats for a reasonable price. I have one in front of each of my machines. Compare prices with Clarks.

BT

Grahame Collins
13th April 2011, 08:05 PM
I left a shaper alone at tech school, the teacher was less than happy :rolleyes:. Started foaming at the mouth about "You do that when you are working and you'll get the sack". My first boss disagreed.

So far I havent had anything shift in the shaper, I'm sure that will change.

I'd like an auto stop on the cross feed but the only way I can think of doing it is switching the VSD off, which I'm not sure I like.

Stuart

When the single piece of equipment you have, that the whole class has yet to use to complete the last part of the long term project, gets damaged and needs repairs that consume a lot of your fixed budget,you tend to foam, a bit ,at the mouth.

Grahame

Stustoys
13th April 2011, 08:26 PM
I saw more machines damaged by deliberate acts than by accidents. Although my personal favorite act of stupidity goes to a guy that had a squeaking Vee belt on his lathe and tried to clean it by wrapping a piece of paper towel around his finger and poking it through a hole in the guard....... wait for it.. while the machine was running!

Stuart

Woodlee
13th April 2011, 09:40 PM
It's the bloody running that's killing you ,you are only allocated so many heart beats in a lifetime ,try not to use them all up too soon.
Seriously I do all my planning in my sleep ,I work out how to do the set up and all the foreseable problems and how I can do the job .
I guess that's why I'm tired all the time as well. But it's something I have always done ,and usually I can get through a project fairly quickly and with out drawings.
My Missus reckons there is some thing wrong with me. She's probably right .

But what really sends me to sleep is my day job , I drive a desk these days ,it has a computer sitting on top of it and after lunch is worst time of the day ,around 2pm is when I start to nod off ,I can be running a program on the computer and the next thing my chin is on my chest.

Kev.