PDA

View Full Version : How to sand

aussiecolector
4th December 2004, 03:57 PM
How do you round over the corners so neatly and sand in all the tite corners like Alf's box "wild fire". I have tried a couple of boxes but have no idear how to finish like that other than a lot of hard work by hand.

ribot
5th December 2004, 03:36 PM
Belt sanders work a treat.

I used to determine the minimum radious I could sand in and cut my boxes no less than that radious. Glue abrasive to dowel and sand on the lathe.

ribot
5th December 2004, 03:40 PM
Almost forgot. Rounding over bit in the old router.Hope that helps?

sailingamerican
17th January 2005, 02:19 PM
I reckon ya put the sand paper in the corner of the room and run the piece back and forth. Practice, router, hand plane, or a sandpaper block.

I love deadlines. I love the sound of them going by.

echnidna
17th January 2005, 10:41 PM
Its smart to sand the bits before you put it together with glue. Then youshould only have to cleanup sand a little bit.

sailingamerican
20th January 2005, 12:27 PM
Sand to a point. If you are making face frames you do not want to round the corners. You do not want to round the ednges of shelves if you are going to apply a wood or plastic strip to the edge. I use Forest blades at $120 USD. They leave no saw marks The blades cost a lot but you more than make up for it in saved time. It does not leave it to slick which makes it hard to glue up. You can mix the saw dust with carpenters glue and make a good filler to match if you need it. They make a foam rubber pad to hold your work so it does not go flying while sanding or routing. I have used rubber carpet pad for 30 years for this purpose. Richard

Bubinga
22nd January 2005, 05:58 PM
I've been using the Fein for edges.