PDA

View Full Version : location of Lee Valley

John Saxton
12th April 2011, 06:23 PM
I have had a look at the locations of Lee Valley in both Vancouver and Victoria BC.
Our time in Victoria will be limited.
I was wondering if the Vancouver outlet is readily accessed by Public Transport or if a taxicab would be the go.

If anyone has visited the Vancouver shop can it be accessed by bus/train?
I can imagine myself spending some time in there like a kid in a lolly shop:D:D:D

Cheers:)

Jim Carroll
12th April 2011, 06:26 PM
John leave the plasic back in the hotel or it could be damaged beyond repair :D

John Saxton
12th April 2011, 09:09 PM
John leave the plasic back in the hotel or it could be damaged beyond repair :D

No chance I'm leaving it with SWMBO :oo: :rolleyes:

groeneaj
12th April 2011, 09:16 PM
Hey John,
I remember Rob Lee saying that if you were ever to visit the Vancouver shop and your after something in paticular, email ahead and they'll make sure they have it in for you. Apparently they don't always stock all their products and have to order it in. Just a heads up mate.

Andy

RETIRED
12th April 2011, 10:14 PM
Don't you ever stay home??:D

ian
13th April 2011, 12:31 AM
I have had a look at the locations of Lee Valley in both Vancouver and Victoria BC.
Our time in Victoria will be limited.
I was wondering if the Vancouver outlet is readily accessed by Public Transport or if a taxicab would be the go.

If anyone has visited the Vancouver shop can it be accessed by bus/train?
I can imagine myself spending some time in there like a kid in a lolly shop:D:D:D

Cheers:)hi John, the boring way is for me to tell you to use this link TransLink - Trip Planning (http://tripplanning.translink.ca/)
the address is 1180 S.E. Marine Drive

However, it's more fun if I let my wife show off, her instructions are:
1) jump the Canada Line skytrain -- the one that goes to the airport
2) get off at Marine Drive
3) take the No 100 bus (bound for 22nd Street Station) from Bay 1 to the store. The bus stop (number 52138) is almost out the front of Lee Valley -- but the entry door is round the back. (when you get on the bus check with the driver to make sure you're heading the right way -- Meg struck one who knew where the store is)

If you've had a really good time -- i.e. bought something really heavy or bulky -- ask the staff to call a cab so you don't have to carry all the bags to the bus stop.
Also, the staff will let you try most tools before you buy.
Lastly, check out which in-store demonstrations will be on when you are there.

almost forgot, the guys who make Lee router jigs are also accessible by public transport

ian
13th April 2011, 12:34 AM
Almost forgot
If you're really short on time, you can place an internet order for express collection from the store. :U
If you time it right you could do your shopping on the way to the airport :;

John Saxton
13th April 2011, 10:58 AM
hi John, the boring way is for me to tell you to use this link TransLink - Trip Planning (http://tripplanning.translink.ca/)
the address is 1180 S.E. Marine Drive

However, it's more fun if I let my wife show off, her instructions are:
1) jump the Canada Line skytrain -- the one that goes to the airport
2) get off at Marine Drive
3) take the No 100 bus (bound for 22nd Street Station) from Bay 1 to the store. The bus stop (number 52138) is almost out the front of Lee Valley -- but the entry door is round the back. (when you get on the bus check with the driver to make sure you're heading the right way -- Meg struck one who knew where the store is)

almost forgot, the guys who make Lee router jigs are also accessible by public transport

Thank you Ian, this is very much appreciated having a heads up beforehand we do have 4 free days in Vancouver and I have allocated a day for myself, as my wife also wants a day to check out the fashion stores.
I have heard of members doing a trek in Vancouver to Lee Valley so I was kind of hoping that someone would have retention of their visit there.

May also visit Leigh Jigs as well although i have most of their templates etc but foremost will be Lee Valley of course.

Have made a note in my diary of your helpful instructions,a greenie for you.

John Saxton
13th April 2011, 11:03 AM
Don't you ever stay home??:D

Not now that I'm retired I like to get out and about before I'm costrained to a motorised hell on wheels.:rolleyes:

John Saxton
13th April 2011, 11:07 AM
Hey John,
I remember Rob Lee saying that if you were ever to visit the Vancouver shop and your after something in paticular, email ahead and they'll make sure they have it in for you. Apparently they don't always stock all their products and have to order it in. Just a heads up mate.

Andy

Andy I am not really fussed about what might be in stock but I will spend some time seeing what is in store.

ian
14th April 2011, 01:09 AM
Andy I am not really fussed about what might be in stock but I will spend some time seeing what is in store.If it's your first trip that might be some hours, the store is like an Adladan's cave.

Seriously, if there's an item yoiu particularly want, it pays to check a week or so in advance taht there will be one set aside for you

John Saxton
25th June 2011, 05:49 PM
If it's your first trip that might be some hours, the store is like an Adladan's cave.

Seriously, if there's an item yoiu particularly want, it pays to check a week or so in advance taht there will be one set aside for you

An observation on my part, it truly was an Aladdin's cave I drooled incessantly over numerous items.

The issue I had was that our luggage was at maximum carrying capacity being overseas for a couple of months mean't just looking & taking some notes and leaving any considerations until next year when we are over in Ottawa.

They will not ship from Vancouver informed me that I would have to go thought their Ottawa branch to ship...did'nt bother!

I will draw up a list for next year with the view of a lighter luggage weight.

ian
25th June 2011, 11:06 PM
An observation on my part, it truly was an Aladdin's cave I drooled incessantly over numerous items.

The issue I had was that our luggage was at maximum carrying capacity being overseas for a couple of months mean't just looking & taking some notes and leaving any considerations until next year when we are over in Ottawa.

They will not ship from Vancouver informed me that I would have to go thought their Ottawa branch to ship...did'nt bother!

I will draw up a list for next year with the view of a lighter luggage weight.

Cheers:)John, John, you'll have to learn to leave quite a lot of stuff at home when next you go travelling
Vancouver is North America which means each traveller is allowed TWO bags at 23kg each, and THREE at 32kg each in Business

Many's the time I've gone into Robinson Street and bought an extra bag or two to get the goodies home. It's either that or toss the older clothes.

BobL
25th June 2011, 11:53 PM
John, John, you'll have to learn to leave quite a lot of stuff at home when next you go travelling
Vancouver is North America which means each traveller is allowed TWO bags at 23kg each, and THREE at 32kg each in Business.

Or 3 of 23 if you are silver Q :D

I'll be making the pilgrimage again this year to the Calgary store in about 2 weeks time. I'm taking 2 suitcases of Aussie timber to my BC milling buddy in Vancouver and bringing you knwo what home :2tsup:

BobL
25th June 2011, 11:57 PM
They will not ship from Vancouver informed me that I would have to go thought their Ottawa branch to ship...did'nt bother! )

In Vancouver I was given a heap of interesting craft wood bits and pieces and had zero room in suitcase so and I just the post office and posted some stuff back to ourselves - not cheap - bit cheaper than excess baggage.

John Saxton
26th June 2011, 11:41 PM
John, John, you'll have to learn to leave quite a lot of stuff at home when next you go travelling
Vancouver is North America which means each traveller is allowed TWO bags at 23kg each, and THREE at 32kg each in Business

Many's the time I've gone into Robinson Street and bought an extra bag or two to get the goodies home. It's either that or toss the older clothes.

Unfortunately sailing up through Asia and then across to Alaska mean't packing for different environments & I was'nt into buying more clothes.

We mailed excess packages from Seward in Alaska and from Vancouver where not only was it expensive but the posties were about to take industrial action.

As much as I admired a lot of the woodworking gear in the store there was nothing that i need that cannot wait until next year,but I will definately be travelling lighter then.

ian
27th June 2011, 12:15 AM
But John, there were two of you
you flew into Asia = 1 bag each
you flew home from Vancouver = 2 bags each -- I'm counting 46kg of tools if the missus will let you get away with it !
(on one of our trips I put a LV flattening plate in the bag, on another a LA Jointer)

John Saxton
27th June 2011, 12:36 AM
But John, there were two of you
you flew into Asia = 1 bag each
you flew home from Vancouver = 2 bags each -- I'm counting 46kg of tools if the missus will let you get away with it !
(on one of our trips I put a LV flattening plate in the bag, on another a LA Jointer)

Ian, we had two bags each as well as backpacks(I was lugging my camera gear as well) my wife's bags had as much stuffed into them as did mine.

As said I looked & liked but did'nt see the urgency or need to add to a already weighty issue.

What I intend to do is window shop with the benefit of the internet and decide if when in Ottawa/Toronto next year I then need to further enhance my already expansive collection of tooling.

Thank you for the heads up on the directions it was easy to find, the skytrain is a remarkable piece of engineering something some of our communities could possibly look at.