PDA

View Full Version : Auger bits in a drill press

tonyjune
4th December 2004, 11:38 PM
Wondering whether this is possible. Just bought a 12 speed drill press.
Was wondering through an antique store today and found a collection of 17 different size wood bits, with a brace. Price $78. Questions??? Are they too expensive? If I was to grind down the square end of the bit to round, to fit in my chuck, would the drill press be slow enough to cut neat holes.
Yours in anticipation, Tony.

Sprog
4th December 2004, 11:54 PM
No, they are made for use in a hand drill.

Driver
5th December 2004, 05:12 PM
Are they too expensive?
With a caveat about the condition of the auger bits and the brace, I reckon they don't sound like they're too expensive.

If I was to grind down the square end of the bit to round, to fit in my chuck, would the drill press be slow enough to cut neat holes.

No it wouldn't. The bits would grab hard and you might wind up burning out your drill press.

On the other hand, if you buy the bits and the brace (and, again, assuming that they are in reasonably good nick), you could teach yourself how to use them to drill holes the old-fashioned, quiet way.

This weekend I've been using a brace and a couple of auger bits to make some odds and sods for the shed (a couple of jigs and some tool storage racks). With only moderate physical effort, a sharp auger bit will produce a fast and accurate result.

Just to prove that I'm not a complete neanderthal, this weekend I've also used electric hand drills - both corded and cordless - and a drill press with forstner bits. They all have their uses and they are all well suited to particular tasks. For example, the forstner bits work really well in a drill press. If you try using them in a hand brace, the job takes forever and frustration cuts in well before any tangible result is achieved. Equally, attempting to use an auger bit in a power tool leads rapidly to chewed up work pieces and potentially stuffed-up equipment.

My advice would be to spend the $78 and get yourself a bit of gear to supplement your drill press.

Col

Barry_White
5th December 2004, 05:55 PM
50 Years ago when I was an apprentice before forsner bits we used use the old style auger bits in a drill press but we ground the screw tip down so they would not drag them selves into the timber too fast, and then the operater could control the rate of feed.

Actually we did the same with an adjustable expansion bit.

But I would buy a set of forsner bits and you can get a set for about $40 - $50 from Garry Pye Woodturning http://shop.store.yahoo.com/gpwoodturning/16pceimset.html

and keep the Brace and the auger set for posterity.

The same would go with the auger set the same as the forsner set, steady as you go on the speed and don't feed too fast.

outback
5th December 2004, 09:57 PM
Bear with me on the jargon I use, maybe its wrong, but it was as I was taught.

The purpose of the worm,(tip) on a bit is to pull it into the timber being bored. A drill press controls the rate of feed, so only a little imagination is needed to see that the two are incongruous.

I have used a bit in the pulley of a tractor driven saw bench, blade removed, to drill literally thousands of holes in timber. The bit spins at the same speed as the blade would if fitted, so the speed in your scenario isn't the problem.

As to the brace and bit on offer, my guess is it depends. If it is old, and if the brace is in good order, then, check the bits. Mathieson made by far and away the bits. Stanley turned out the odd one, the rest were craapp.
A good bit will draw itself into the timber being bored, no pressure to drive it is needed. In fact any pressure will prove detrimental, causing blocks, crooked holes and much sweat.
If you want one, get one, personally I hate them. Bloody hard work if they work OK, worser if they don't. Cordless drills, forsteners, etc. have made them something to want, not need.

tonyjune
5th December 2004, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the replies. I did use brace and bits back in high school, some 55 years ago. Don't want to go there again, so Ithink its Mr. Forstner for me.

Tony.

outback
6th December 2004, 01:03 PM
IMHO...................... A wise choice

Termite
6th December 2004, 01:54 PM
I did use brace and bits back in high school, some 55 years ago. Tony.
Were you realy only 4 years old in high school, or are you telling porkies about your age. :confused: :D :D