PDA

View Full Version : which lathe

Farm boy
14th April 2011, 08:18 PM
I need help and advice please :D
I found a nova tl1200 at belmont on ebay for $400 starting bid and
there is an old chap at the woodturners club i go to word of mouth says he has a Tough brand 1 1/2 hp lathe for the same price, i have not seen either but i am leaning towards the Tough as it is older but heaps of grunt I am unsure of the horsepower of the nova
any advice greatly recieved
Greg

orificiam
14th April 2011, 10:08 PM
I need help and advice please :D
I found a nova tl1200 at belmont on ebay for $400 starting bid and
there is an old chap at the woodturners club i go to word of mouth says he has a Tough brand 1 1/2 hp lathe for the same price, i have not seen either but i am leaning towards the Tough as it is older but heaps of grunt I am unsure of the horsepower of the nova
any advice greatly recieved
Greg

Hi Greg, I'd go for the Tough.
Cheers Tony.:)

INVENTOR
14th April 2011, 10:50 PM
I think the nova has a round bar bed (can be a pain) but swivel head where as the tough are very solid cast iron ( very good) but fixed head with relatively small swing.
combine the two designs and you have something. you would be lucky to get the tough for that price IMO.

Avery
14th April 2011, 11:23 PM
Consider any extras that might come with the lathes. Faceplates, chucks , etc.etc. some of the older lathes may have less common spindle threads that can make buying accessories a bit more expensive.

artme
15th April 2011, 10:55 AM
I have a Nova TL 1200.

Pluses: Good range of speeds, Quality headstock, quality tailstock

Minuses; two sections of pipe as bed, on/off switch difficult to reach in a hurry, Toolpost and tailstock do not have camlock - this is a PITA,

All the bad points are fixable, but why bother if you can ger a lathe without these shortcomings.

BTW - The Tough is a good lathe,.

tea lady
15th April 2011, 11:00 AM
Go the Tough! You can out board turn on them if you want. Some even have a left hand thread on the out board side! $400 is a great price. Less then half of what I paid last year.:C :) And I'm happy!

You might need a few mates to help pick it up. :rolleyes::U

issatree
15th April 2011, 11:07 AM
Hi Farm Boy,
Yes, the Tough. Had 1 since 1990, has not missed a beat. Travels on 3000 RPM.most times I use it. Molykote the Bearings when I think of it.
Most likely doesn't have the Cam Locks, but you can still buy them, or as I've seen the Banjo & Tail Stock rehashed with Cam Locks. Should be 1in.10 TPI. Spindle.
Go for it, & try to put it on Rails, rather than a bench, far better.

Farm boy
15th April 2011, 07:47 PM
thanks for the feedback
I have to wait for a member to come back from holidays and get the address for the tough, i will get a good look at it and hopfully pinch some money off my wife:D
thanks for the feeback about the weight i will grab a mate if i can snavle it

munruben
17th April 2011, 10:34 AM
Unanimous; the toughs have it.:) Let us know if you get it.:2tsup:

Wood Nut
19th April 2011, 09:21 AM
Hi Greg,
It sounds like the same wood turner's club I go to. I cannot comment on the other lathe but I do own a TOUGH. Great lathe, solid etc etc. I'm very happy with it - if only I could afford to put a vfd on.
Cheers, Paul