PDA

View Full Version : Open Office not saving documents/files Help please.

munruben
16th April 2011, 06:14 PM
I am teaching a friend how to use a computer and all is going well but she has a problem with Open Office. when she tries to save the document she is working on. The file doesn't save, but her email program opens up with her file attached to a new email, ready to send.

Anyone had this problem and know of a remedy? It is driving her up the wall. I have installed Open Office on one of my computers to try and create the same problem but it works just fine, saves the document every time.

Master Splinter
16th April 2011, 10:02 PM
It sounds like the file associations are stuffed up. What format are you (trying to) save in?

Cliff Rogers
16th April 2011, 11:39 PM
I am thinking along the same lines as Mister Splinter.... what is the e-mail program & what editor does it use?

andrewr79
17th April 2011, 07:09 AM
I assume she's starting a new doc from writer and not an email client linked to writer?. I've seen that before! :D

munruben
17th April 2011, 08:50 AM
Saving the file as ODT which I think is the default extension for Writer documents. However I can get to the "Save as" window by pressing Ctrl+Shift + "S" but when trying to save through the file menu in Writer, it opens up the Incredimail email window with the rile attached to it ready to be sent.
Its strange because I told her to change the extension to something else in the "Save as " window and she changed it to "Open Office text Document" with an "SSW" file extension and it works fine but when she changes it back to the ODT extension, same thing happens, it goes straight to the incredimail email window.

munruben
17th April 2011, 09:06 AM
I assume she's starting a new doc from writer and not an email client linked to writer?. I've seen that before! :DYes, she is saving from Writer.:)

munruben
17th April 2011, 09:10 AM
It sounds like the file associations are stuffed up. What format are you (trying to) save in?I think you may be right, it seems like something has changed the files association to open with incredimail. I will check that out next time I go and see her.

I am thinking along the same lines as Mister Splinter.... what is the e-mail program & what editor does it use?Incredimail Cliff, not sure which editor it uses.

Master Splinter
17th April 2011, 09:41 AM
Ahhhhh, there's your problem, then. The best thing you can do for her is uninstall incredimail...it has to be possibly the world's most useless mail package, adding all sorts of trivial bloat to email messages. Not to mention being full of spyware...errr...advertising extras.

Incredimail or incredicrap? - software | Ask MetaFilter (http://ask.metafilter.com/40266/Incredimail-or-incredicrap)

...it could take you a looooong while to remove, though.

Tell her that Gmail is her friend.

Cliff Rogers
17th April 2011, 11:49 AM
Ahhhhh, there's your problem, then. The best thing you can do for her is uninstall incredimail...it has to be possibly the world's most useless mail package, adding all sorts of trivial bloat to email messages. Not to mention being full of spyware...errr...advertising extras......
Agreed. :2tsup:

munruben
18th April 2011, 06:22 PM
I agree too but try and persuade a woman to give up all those fancy bobs and sods. This lady loves those very things about incredimail. :(