PDA

View Full Version : black trustone cambridge

eisbaer
17th April 2011, 09:12 PM
Hi everyone!

First pen I've turned this year:oo:, owing to the fact that I've been building a coffee table for a friend who lost everything in the floods. Coffee tables take so much more time than I thought!

Anyway, this trustone was the hardest I've ever turned. I used 3 tools and sharpened a LOT just to get it done. Took 2 hours to turn down and polish, and because it was a last minute commission the pressure to get it done that day was enough to ensure I very nearly ruined it several times. I'm very glad it turned out ok, and especially because it is going to be used to sign the registry at a wedding next week.

Let me know what you think - and as ever, thanks for looking! :)

gawdelpus
17th April 2011, 09:32 PM
Stunning pen ,well executed ,I have nothing but respect for people who do these on a wood lathe :) . These particular blanks are not for the faint hearted at all . The thinking and motivation while executing this must have guided your hands to perform at their very best . Well done indeed !! cheers ~ John :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

mkypenturner
17th April 2011, 10:08 PM
nice pen eisbaer:2tsup::2tsup: hey is that the new look roman harvest kit from timberbits ????

eisbaer
17th April 2011, 10:11 PM
Thanks John. It is hard stuff to turn but I'm confident anyone can do it with the right tools. I normally pride myself on being skew exclusive on turning these things but I couldn't rough it down quickly enough with the skew, so I started out with a spindle gouge.

Because I had 3 hours TOTAL (drilling, gluing, turning, polishing) to complete it, I had to rush through the rounding and therefore had to abandon my trusty skew for a gouge. Then I moved onto the skew, and finally a woodcut pro for finishing cuts (first time I've used it. Very impressed). I think I sharpened the gouge and skew about 8 times each though, so it is a very abrasive material even for trustone.

For anyone who struggles to turn this stuff, believe me I get where you're coming from, but I just treat it like the most brittle acrylic and I usually do just fine. Also, when doing a cambridge I'd suggest a 13.3mm bit instead of the recommended 33/64" bit for the drilling. I found with the imperial sized one I had to ream the hole, and this caused a bit of a problem with heat and ultimately some failures with certain materials.

eisbaer
17th April 2011, 10:13 PM
Hi Troy,

This blank is black trustone with gold webbing provided by R and B crafts in the USA. I've never tried imperial stone.... yet. Sorry just realised you meant the kit not the blank. It is a cambridge kit, berea made I think.

mkypenturner
17th April 2011, 10:25 PM
Hi Troy,

This blank is black trustone with gold webbing provided by R and B crafts in the USA. I've never tried imperial stone.... yet. Sorry just realised you meant the kit not the blank. It is a cambridge kit, berea made I think.

did you get that kit from timberbits just recently ??? if so thats the new cambridge with a different name
he has gotten ridden of the nasty black parts

eisbaer
17th April 2011, 10:40 PM
I buy my cambridges from another supplier, and also bought them about 6 months ago. I like the idea of a metal coupler but I'd be concerned that the threads would be too slippery and the cap would come off all the time. Metal on metal can be finicky.

artme
17th April 2011, 11:29 PM
Superb pen mate!!!:clap::clap::clap:

Whaler1
18th April 2011, 12:47 AM
Beautifully done.
That is one of my favorite Tru-Stone blanks. I bought a Hunter carbide tool and that is the answer for turning the stone blanks.