PDA

View Full Version : My attempts

Goonyella
5th December 2004, 08:55 PM
Have been impressed by the intarsia examples shown by our friends from Canada. So much in fact that I felt inspired to try and show my attempts at this form.
I have only been doing intarsia for about six months. Don't come out perfectly, but the wife, family and friends have been impressed by my efforts so far.
This is my first post on this forum, though I have been reading the links for some time. Fantastic.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=5292&stc=1
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=5293&stc=1

Tikki
5th December 2004, 10:27 PM
Hi Goonyella

Welcome to the forum. Absolutely brilliant work! What timbers did you use and how do you do your sanding/shaping? Look forward to seeing more. :)
Tikki

Bob H
5th December 2004, 10:49 PM
Very well done.
Happy to have you join us.
Hope to see more of your work.
As for "didn't come out perfectly" You will always be your own worst critic. Listen to wife,family,friends who say they like it. And the Forum Members as well.

Bob

jim p
5th December 2004, 11:09 PM
very well done I was allways wanted to do that cat but was afrade.nise job.

oges
6th December 2004, 08:18 PM
Sure looks fine to me, well done.
You can stop lurking in the background now :D

Goonyella
6th December 2004, 09:12 PM
Thank you all for your wonderfull comments.
Tikki the timbers used are camphor laurel, red cedar, silky oak and some other timber I had in the shed. The tiger is made up of Rosewood, American Walnut, Silver Qundong, Rose Mahongany (tongue) and Leichardt for the eyes.
I did the shaping/sanding using a belt/disc sander and small drum sanders and of course hand sanding.
Jim P have a go, the cat is worth it. If I can do it with a little patience and lots of breath holding and hope you can.
I have done a couple of more cats for Xmas presents which I will post soon.
Yep I love cats. The wife and I have two real cats and at the moment our daughters cat is visiting.
We like tigers too, but haven't got a real one.