PDA

View Full Version : Switch Panel Graphics for Dummies

Bryan
19th April 2011, 07:10 PM
I'm working on a design for a switch box for my VFD lathe conversion. This is not about the circuitry, you'll be relieved to know, but how to make a DIY panel look, well, not too DIY.

My idea so far is to knock something up on the 'puter, print, laminate and stick it to the lid of a diecast box from Jaycar. I don't have a laminator yet - or any experience with them - but I believe they're cheap these days and I could use it for other stuff too. Will this look crappy? Someone must have been down this path before. Is there a better way? Once specific concern I have is that white backgrounds look wrong, but coloured backgrounds on inkjets seem to wrinkle. Is there a way around that? Maybe better paper?

I know about Graziano's Metal Labels (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/more-homemade-metal-labels-123727/), and I may make enquiries, but I'm also interested in DIY options.

Thank you.

Sterob
19th April 2011, 07:15 PM
You can buy sticky backed printer paper from the newsagents and then use contact over it to protect it. Thats what I did when I had to make a panel for a power supply recently.
Sterob

Gavin Newman
19th April 2011, 08:18 PM
Go to your local engravers and get them to make up your labels on coloured plastic sheet which can either be glued or screwed to your unit.

I use red plastic with a white substrate so the resultant text is white against a red background - looks very spiffy.

Most of them have computer controlled engraving machines which make a very professional looking plaque and they work out quite cheap.

Bryan
19th April 2011, 08:19 PM
Thanks Sterob, I will look into that. No comment on the result so presumably you were happy.

Edit: Thanks Gavin, I think I know the sort you mean. They do look good. Not sure if I have a local engraver but will find out.

malb
19th April 2011, 08:32 PM
Another option is to print them onto decal (transfer) sheet, hit them with a couple of coats of clear acrylic, trim them to size and waterslide them into place and hit them with another couple of coats of acrylic to seal the edges etc when in position.

Laminating them will make the very bulky and to do it well you would need to go to somewhere with a continuous laminator rather than use an el cheapo pouch number. You will not be able to seal the cut edges, and the film will tend to peel over a couple of years.

RayG
19th April 2011, 08:36 PM
Hi Bryan,

For one-off panels, I use the overhead transparency film you can buy at office supply places for a laser printer, before you print, reverse the image, and then when you print you flip it over and the toner layer is protected on the underneath side of the film.

You can do colours and whatever layout you like on a PC, do a sample print or two to get the scaling right. If you want a solid background colour, then it works best if you spray paint the background colour (to match the machine color, a soft pastel green seems all the rage nowadays... :) ) and then apply the film over the top of that.

To apply the film, I use 3M 468MP double sided adhesive film, you can get it in rolls of various widths.
This stuff...3M (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Graphics/Scotchprint/Prod-Info/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S7M3_nid=Q4GTFW2R1Sbe2X45PZSQV2gl)

When you apply the film, spray a light film of detergent, which allows you to slide the label into precise alignment, then use a roller working from the center to remove bubbles.

Regards
Ray

jack620
19th April 2011, 08:37 PM
Hi Gavin,
I want to replace the old, peeling decal on my woodworking machine with an engraved laminate panel as you suggest. Do you know what type of file formats these CNC engraving machines use? I don't have anything fancy like Corel or Photoshop. Can they use a vector file made by an online file conversion service like this http://vectormagic.com/home

Bryan
19th April 2011, 10:28 PM
Some great leads to follow there. Thanks guys.

Chas
19th April 2011, 11:01 PM
Hello Bryan,

Couple of years ago I made a switch panel decal and a drill-speed reference chart for a drill press by printing on a PC laser printer and using a product called "Mod Podge matte" as an adhesive and surface sealer. After considerable use, the panel still looks as good as new. Mod Podge is a white water based glue/sealer (acrylic I think) which dries clear, and resembles Aquadhere wood glue. It was recommended by my daughter who uses it for scrapbooking, and is available from scrapbooking and craft shops.

Chas.