PDA

View Full Version : Rotary table tips

neksmerj
20th April 2011, 08:02 PM
Here's another article I spotted on the web.

Well at least I found it interesting, and from a bloke you doesn't own one yet.

Will have to send Santa a note. " Where's my f....n turntable, you promised me you would?"

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCRotabToys.html

Ken

Woodlee
20th April 2011, 09:58 PM
I picked up my new rotary table yesterday from Darwin ,I'm very happy with it so far not that I've had a chance to use it yet.I've had a few projects on hold waiting for it.
I bought it at thier three day sale through thier distributor in Darwin .
It's a Vertex HV-8 .

Kev.

neksmerj
20th April 2011, 10:44 PM
For a beginner, and someone who has never sighted a rotary table before, what's a good size to go for.

I'd really love a Hercus unit, but finding one is nigh impossible, unless you have a spare.

Can anyone recall the name of a Japanese chap that has a terrific web site. He's had a go at just about everything, including a home made turntable. My memory is shot.

Ken

neksmerj
20th April 2011, 11:04 PM
Stop looking, I found it.

Mini Lathe Workshop (http://homepage3.nifty.com/amigos/index-e.html)

Half way down the page is his index table. He went right down the burrow, and machined his own gears.
Very clever those Japs.

Ken

Woodlee
21st April 2011, 12:41 AM
It depends on the size of your machine table for a small x3 or similar a 6" table is probably a tad too big , but could be manageable .
My table is 8'" wide at its widest dimension , and the centers of the outer slots is 5" .
I went for the HV-8 which is and 8" diameter table ,the holes in the vertical mounting foot need to be extended in toward the center of the table as the table slots are a bit too close , but I can clamp it down with finger clamps anyway.

Kev

Sterob
21st April 2011, 12:50 AM
Anyone using a 8" vertex ( or similar) on a HM-45 mill? I bought a 6" vertex and am a little annoyed at how small it seems. The job I bought the rotary table for in the first place, won't really fit on a 6" table....put it down to inexperience....

Sterob

pipeclay
21st April 2011, 06:49 AM
Yes.

Gavin Newman
21st April 2011, 08:04 AM
Anyone using a 8" vertex ( or similar) on a HM-45 mill? I bought a 6" vertex and am a little annoyed at how small it seems. The job I bought the rotary table for in the first place, won't really fit on a 6" table....put it down to inexperience....

Sterob

Not an HM-45 but I'm using an 8" Vertex on a similar size mill and it works fine.

Stustoys
21st April 2011, 09:54 AM
Ken
After 10" you need a crane. A 12" table is about 80kgs.
I think 10" would be to big for your machine. Whats the max Z opening?

Stuart

Gavin Newman
21st April 2011, 10:01 AM
Ken
After 10" you need a crane. A 12" table is about 80kgs.
I think 10" would be to big for your machine. Whats the max Z opening?

Stuart

Stuart has a valid point, also you need to take into account that you may well have a chuck mounted on your RT from time to time, a 8" RT with the 3 jaw chuck attached is quite heavy and awkward to carry to the mill and load onto the table.

pipeclay
21st April 2011, 02:53 PM
If weight is the concern of rotary and chuck mount them seperately.

Dave J
21st April 2011, 05:34 PM
I bought a 12 inch rotary table with tail stock and dividing plates, also bought a 250mm 4 jaw chuck to go onto it. I returned the table in about a month because it took me and a mate to lift it onto the mill (It was massive) and the bolt slots where too wide for my mill without modifying it, also it would have needed 16mm T nuts when the mill used 14mm (not a huge concern but another set of T nuts needed).
I exchanged it for a 10 inch but kept the tail stock and plates because they still fitted the 10 inch one. Some times I wish I had more room but you cant have it both ways.
I lift the table with my crane so it doesn't matter if the a chuck is mounted on it. It would be a struggle to lift it by hand. Being able to leave a chuck on the table saves time having to mount it every time I use it.

I have been going to buy one of those small tilting rotary tables for general work when they are on the 3 day special for around $320.
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=R003
It comes with a chuck fitted and would be light and handy to use at only 9kg.

I wouldn't recommend anything under a 8 inch because like Sterob found out they are to small to mount things on other than a chuck. A mild steel plate can always be bolted onto the table to make it bigger, you just have to watch out if your using the dividing plates because they hit if you go to big.
From 6 inch up the centre height in the vertical position jumps around 30mm each one with the 6 inch starting at 100mm (H1 in link) 8 inch at 135mm and the 10 inch at 165mm. So check the space between the collet chuck and the table to see what will fit and remember to take into account the diameter of the job that will take up more room as well.
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=R008

Dave