View Full Version : conquering the skew

Farm boy
21st April 2011, 08:13 PM
hi all
I bought some turning tools on ebay a month or so ago
the roughing gouge is great (sorby hss)
the spindle gouge (aj addiss) fantastic
now i come to the skew (sorby hss) the most terifing weapon in my arsenol :D
i have developed a healthy respect for this beast, when you just about to finish a project (turning a chisel handle ) and apply to much pressure bang it takes a chunck out of the wood and i then yell at it and start over again
how long does it take to conquer this piece of steel
should you say a prayer everytime you use it or just practice,practice and more practice
greg

RETIRED
21st April 2011, 08:19 PM
practice,practice and more practicead infinitum.:D

RETIRED
21st April 2011, 08:20 PM
PS. If you know someone that knows how to use it get them to show you.

leisureologist
21st April 2011, 08:23 PM
All I can say is "gently, gently". Put the bevel on the work and "gently" turn the edge on. Move it "gently". Still get some bites. One of those "things" that takes time especially for me.

Avery
21st April 2011, 10:17 PM
conquering the skew Ha!

It can't be done.

I reckon the pros. like , Vic Wood, Richard Raffan, Rolly Munro and all the others get together a couple of times a year to work out ways to convince us newbies that the skew is a good thing and it is just our own incompetence and complete lack of talent that keeps us down. It's a guild that they have to keep us out of the system - they probably have secret handshakes and wear especially coloured and embroidered turning jackets with little emblems of crossed Sorby 1" oval skews machined in HSS pinned to the sleeves.

When you watch a Mike Darlow video and see him doing everything from roughing down an ironbark tree to turning fine finials in ebony using nothing but a 1 1/2 skew chisel one handed, it's all fake - digitally enhanced computer graphics and the like - not to mention witchcraft.

None of them ever actually use a skew - never, never, never.

Of course there are many others involved in this conspiracy. For example Tea Lady, Sawdust Maker, Ozkaban, Dai Sensai, Wheelinround, they will probably all tell you that they are reasonably competent with the skew - DON"T BELIEVE THEM! It is just not possible!

Did I mention witchcraft? oh sorry, I shouldn't mention that.

Of course, I could be wrong...

_fly_
21st April 2011, 10:26 PM
I've worked out its like capacitors in electronics, A strange device that either shouldn't or can't be used. I did hear once that your meant to sacrifice your best friend during a full moon in the dark forest at midnight to get a 10% increase in competency. If I had a friend I'd try it, Ah well. Maybe we can learn together..

RETIRED
22nd April 2011, 12:33 AM
conquering the skew Ha!

It can't be done.

I reckon the pros. like , Vic Wood, Richard Raffan, Rolly Munro and all the others get together a couple of times a year to work out ways to convince us newbies that the skew is a good thing and it is just our own incompetence and complete lack of talent that keeps us down. It's a guild that they have to keep us out of the system - they probably have secret handshakes and wear especially coloured and embroidered turning jackets with little emblems of crossed Sorby 1" oval skews machined in HSS pinned to the sleeves.

When you watch a Mike Darlow video and see him doing everything from roughing down an ironbark tree to turning fine finials in ebony using nothing but a 1 1/2 skew chisel one handed, it's all fake - digitally enhanced computer graphics and the like - not to mention witchcraft.

Of course there are many others involved in this conspiracy. For example Tea Lady, Sawdust Maker, Ozkaban, Dai Sensai, Wheelinround, they will probably all tell you that they are reasonably competent with the skew - DON"T BELIEVE THEM! It is just not possible!

:cool::D

HazzaB
22nd April 2011, 12:35 AM
Hey Farmboy,

I used to be like you, couldn't go anywhere near a skew, without bits of timber being 'Chunked' or design features such as 'big spiral Ahhhhhhhs'being added, I read an article in a woodworking Magazine while sitting in hospital waiting for my wife to have some tests and scans last year, I went home and grabbed the skew by the throat, and told it i wasn't scared of it anymore, Mike Darlow was the author, I have one of his books now and I think that he explains things in a way that normal type blokes can understand ( I've been discribed as a fellow who is strong like Ox but dumb like Tractor), the basics (as I have been told by a production Turner) are A, B, C, Anchor, (on the Tool Rest) Bevel (Rub the Bevel) and Cut (rotate until the edge starts to Cut) I now do pens from Square to Finished with a skew, and start sanding at 320 grit, I used to use a gouge and start sanding at 100 grit. I'm not saying that I'm a fast learner, cause there has been lots and lots of practice, so just keep practicing, it'll be worth it. The most important thing is keep it Sharp, and keep the speed up.

Just my 2 cents worth.

HazzaB

artme
22nd April 2011, 09:04 AM
Couple of things Farmboy to help the learning learning:

Get Mike Darlow's video "Taming the Skew" and watch it at least twice. Then when you summon the courage, practice on some crapiata pine or other useless scrap. As you work say - out loud if need be - what you are to do. Don't laugh, this is a well founded method of problem solving and learning, You externalise the problem and this helps you to visualise what is going on, ( There is a term for this but it escapes me at the moment.)

After a couple of efforts, go back and watch the video.

I found that this helped me tremendously.

Also, it is better to have a skew with rounded corners. Much easier to handle.

jchappo
22nd April 2011, 09:19 AM
One of the highlights of the recent Blue Mountains Challenge day was for eight turners to simultaneously cut the same piece, on the same lathe, with skew chisels :oo::oo:

wheelinround
22nd April 2011, 09:45 AM
one of the highlights of the recent blue mountains challenge day was for eight turners to simultaneously cut the same piece, on the same lathe, with skew chisels :oo::oo:

video proof :u other wise never happened.

wheelinround
22nd April 2011, 09:48 AM
conquering the skew Ha!

It can't be done.

Avery thanks for the vote of confidence, BUT :roll: after this weeks effort I'm still :~ have to cut 2 new spindle blanks for present job.:doh: That was with 1/2 Skew.

tea lady
22nd April 2011, 11:07 AM

:?:C Me? I did have a few minutes last week when I thought I might have got it, then I thought I'd take one more cut and ........... :gaah:

When it does work it is magic.... that bit is true! :D

Paul39
22nd April 2011, 11:17 AM
My addiction is bowls, so I only make spindles for tool handles.

The first time I put a skew near a piece of rotating wood it bent the skew about 25 degrees where it enters the handle.

About 2 years later I was making a tool handle with a bowl gouge and scraper and was curious about the skew. I straightened the skew and had a go. I got about 15 seconds of shaving before I hooked the toe.

Recently, because the skew does make such a lovely surface, (apart from the spirals, and chunks removed) I did some reading and practiced, I made a couple tool handles.

I have learned to keep the toe out of the wood, what causes the spirals, and the reason why we do not cut uphill. The last handle made from a red oak stick split out of firewood did not have a spiral and only a bit of tear out.

After knocking off the high spots with my roughing gouge (made from a scrap 30 inch lawnmower blade) I carefully used the skew making an interrupted cut, watching the phantom outer limit and keeping the toe above that.

It worked quickly and made a nice finish. I even managed to round down the back of the handle and round down and make the thinner part for the ferrule with just the skew.

So the secret is practice, practice, practice, with reading of books or watching videos between.

I find I must keep a tighter grip on the skew than with the bowl gouge or scraper. I have had to consciously relax the death grip on the skew.

Limit the sessions to an hour or less to start. If you get tired, cramping, or distracted, things do not go well.

I have gone a long time without a catch making bowls. Then the other day I cut several bowl blanks with a chain saw, roughed two on the Woodfast, cut spigots on them and put the smaller one on the Hegner using #3 jaws on a Oneway chuck. In rapid succession I had the bowl come out of the chuck three times.

When I hollow a bowl I use the tailstock and leave a post up the middle of the bowl so I can dig hard with my hollowing tools ( 1/2 in. high X 3/8 in wide bar, and 5/8 in square bar on big long handles).

When I turned it around to cut the spigot for the chuck, I offset the bowl to cut off a flat spot. When I mounted it on the chuck the center post in the bowl was going around like a cam. When the big tool came down from the rim and hit that, bang out of the chuck. After the third time I stopped and thought, realized what was happening, and cut the post down carefully from the top.

I was not hurt, and neither was the bowl. I suspect I was more tired than I realized.

Farm boy
22nd April 2011, 04:04 PM
Thankyou very,very much:2tsup:
i have had a feel better day reading about the skew and your exploits in conquering the skew:D
i am going to hunt the darlow dvd down and see how i go
greg

Pac man
22nd April 2011, 04:20 PM
Hi Farm boy,

I had just come from a turning lesson on beads when i read your first post so i appreciate where you are at. 2nd lesson - frustrating but then i am new to it.

The cheapest i found the Darlow video for 45 bucks from skills publishing (http://www.skillspublish.com.au/BK12-101.htm). Timbecon is 50 bucks Suprised Jim Carroll or carbatec sydney didnt have it on the website.

chrisb691
22nd April 2011, 04:33 PM
One thing I have found, is that the rest must be absolutely smooth. I rub mine down with 150 grit, and then rub in some Lanotec. It's made a huge difference for me. Also, I found and iron grip on the tool also helps a lot. You cannot afford to lose control of the edge.

I'm no expert, but have improved quite a lot since I first tried the skew. Depending on the speed I had the lathe going, I could get up to 3000 CPM (catches per minute). :-

Old Croc
22nd April 2011, 07:50 PM
Thankyou very,very much:2tsup:
i have had a feel better day reading about the skew and your exploits in conquering the skew:Dgreg

Greg, all this sounds so familiar. Last year I put out a request for some hands on tuition, and Ian "", answered first, so at the Prossie Turnout, he gave me a few short lessons and then left me to practice. :2tsup:The best bit was he did not just teach me how to use the skew, but how to recognise what was going wrong and correct it. Also, I really liked his style of toolrests compared with what I had, so when I got back, I made all new ones, and have not looked back. So Greg, my advice, is track down , for some hands on tuition, he goes everywhere, maybee go and visit him,
regards,
Crocy.
P.S. did I say Prossie Turnout, only 6 and a bit months to go, woohoo.

tea lady
23rd April 2011, 10:42 AM
So Greg, my advice, is track down , for some hands on tuition, he goes everywhere, maybee go and visit him,
regards,
Crocy.
's going to Brissy wood working show in a couple of weeks so maybe he could stop by. :D Nothing like volunteering his services. :whistling: Maybe I should get a booking fee.:think:

Farm boy
23rd April 2011, 04:04 PM
we have already been in contact i just have to work out my days i am working
i should throw a bottle of home made red in to sweeten the visit
greg

orificiam
23rd April 2011, 05:04 PM
greg

Yes do that but not before the Lesson :no::no: Wouldn't Want to be Drunk with the Skew.:(

Cheers Tony.:)

tea lady
24th April 2011, 12:02 AM
greg:secret: Small hint! doesn't drink. Likes Chocolate royals and custard tarts though! :cool: Julie doesn't mind some bubbly I think! :D

artme
24th April 2011, 12:16 PM
One thing I have found, is that the rest must be absolutely smooth. I rub mine down with 150 grit, and then rub in some Lanotec. It's made a huge difference for me. Also, I found and iron grip on the tool also helps a lot. You cannot afford to lose control of the edge.

Absolutely agree Chris!! Stuphphed a beautiful piece of Cocobolo once due to a dent im the rest>:C:C

Mr Brush
24th April 2011, 12:21 PM
Does anyone have a copy of Mike Darlow's "Taming The Skew" DVD that is surplus to requirements? Thought I'd look for a pre-loved one before buying new.....:rolleyes:

Happy to pay a reasonable price + postage.

Ozkaban
24th April 2011, 02:33 PM
Dunno how I got mentioned, but I'm ok with planing with the skew (using it as a negative rake scraper can make a nice finish too!). I still don't use it much for beads though. I use my 3/8 Thompson detail gouge for that :D A skew in the right hands is pretty awesome to watch though.

The only bits of Advice I can give are to practice, seek tuition, then practice some more...

Cheers,
Dave

Cub
26th April 2011, 10:58 PM
Hi Farmboy
All I can say from experience is 'practice makes perfect' I'm no pro and nowhere near close, it used to happen to me everytime I used it but when you keep practcing it will start working for you, now it happens less often for me.
Good luck and let us know how it goes :2tsup:
David

fozz
18th May 2011, 12:49 AM
Gday folks,

Was lucky enough to spend a day down at 's awhile back, complete newbie at that stage, hadn't even bought a lathe or tools. Had read every post on the forum and had come to the conclusion that the skew was a dreaded weapon only to be used by fools and those with a death wish, kept coming across skew and catch in nearly every sentence.

Then was good enough to explain a few things and let me have a go on one of the lathes and yes the damn thing caught and made a mess of things and yes I wondered if i'd even get the hang of it.

Now 12 months later, with a new lathe and tools, and many pieces of timber turned to shavings I've learnt a couple of things about the skew, no longer dreaded but respected, the more I thought it would catch it would, keep it sharp and most important, practice practice and more practice.

I got about 50 metres of pine framing offcuts from a building site down the road, got it home, ripped it down the guts then docked it to foot long lengths then every time I got close to the lathe I'd practice roughing, smoothing with the skew then turning the timber into beads. While I still get the odd catch its usually due to lack on concentration.

Hope my experience helps.

Ross.

chuck1
20th May 2011, 09:27 PM
hi there
there was some good articles in the wood worker about turning with a skew! i turned thousands of beads before i mastered it! ive had 1 private lesson 3yrs at T.A.F.E ,4 yrs in the trade and didnt turn for 10 yrs then 2 yrs ago bought a lathe and spent days turning beads! and hollows! now im working for a staircase company woodturning again! its not witch craft :U promise ; its a time and paitence thing . pratice with knot free straight grain timber! about 50mm in diametre and try not to wipeout!!

chuck1
28th May 2011, 05:37 PM
also "tune" your tool rest you want it nice and smooth i do mine with a file i also did a couple with a flap sander on the angle grinder but it was not as smooth a finish!. It lets the tool move smoothley on the tool rest

deepriver
29th May 2011, 01:03 PM
All hail the most powerful 'Skew'! You guys (and gals) seem to assume that you HAVE to be able to use a skew to turn wood - not true. I had a few disasters and vowed never to use one again and have happily turned away ever since. Actually hardly ever use a gouge either for similar reasons. I made and use an oland tool for most roughing and have a variety of scrapers and other things such as various electrical sanders for the rest. I think I'm fairly fast and can guarantee never a dig in or disaster. Life is too short to have to conquer everything!

artme
29th May 2011, 01:30 PM
Yes, what you say is true Deepriver, however, there is a challenge and a great deal of satisfaction to be had from mastering anything.

One thing I find with the skew is the satisfaction I get from a finiish you do not need to sand.

I have a Sorenson spindle tool. It does an excellent job on spindle turnings , giving a finish that I feel is the equivalent of the skew. Like the skew it takes a little time to master but I do not get the same level of satisfaction from using it.

Just one of those quirks in my make-up I suppose, and I suppose the same can be said for the desire of others to master the, skew and your stated aversion to thid grandaddy of turning tools.:)

deepriver
30th May 2011, 07:55 AM
Yes, what you say is true Deepriver, however, there is a challenge and a great deal of satisfaction to be had from mastering anything.
)

I used to think I had to master everything but when I was offered a free bungy jump a few years ago, I realised that I actually don't have to prove myself any more, so didn't jump! Being retired I just enjoy every moment no matter how long a job takes and I get satisfaction from a job well done no matter the method used. In that I have never met, or talked to another woodturner and am totally self-taught I don't do too bad. (Hmm, I guess that was me facing a challenge and mastering it.)
By the way, a rather nice skew has just come my way and I did give it a go yesterday! :)