PDA

View Full Version : jasper leige

azzrock
22nd April 2011, 04:21 PM
hi all
i was looking at a old horizontal mill today. looks like a great shape and size for my shed.
i think its a jasper liege.i wonder if this machine is from belguim .
i couldnt find much on goggle. does any one here know any thing about these machines.

Greg Q
22nd April 2011, 06:56 PM
How sure are you about the name? Nothing on lathes.co.uk. Any photos?

Greg

Anorak Bob
22nd April 2011, 08:22 PM
I had a skim earlier. Nothing. If info is scarce or non existant, the search for parts and accessories could well be a hopeless venture. Also, a horizontal mill on it's own can be a bit limiting although better than nothing.

BT

azzrock
22nd April 2011, 08:57 PM
ya your right about the horizontal mill. and the being no info.
and greq i am fairly shore the name is right.
the name is cast under the main spindle.
its going for the scrap price what ever that is these days

Greg Q
23rd April 2011, 12:19 AM
Since Jasper is an English and French name I think you are on the right track. Most probably the mill was made by a company named "Jasper" in Liege. I can't find any online reference, and I don't fancy my chances asking the Liege library on Easter for a search.

Being a horizontal its probably WWII +/- 20 years. I see that there's a Taiwanese CNC mill manufacturer in Taiwan going by the Liege name.

Sorry that I can't be any real help.

Greg Q
23rd April 2011, 12:22 AM
ya your right about the horizontal mill. and the being no info.
and greq i am fairly shore the name is right.
the name is cast under the main spindle.
its going for the scrap price what ever that is these days

You'd think it would be somewhere around $0.50/kilo. Maybe $500/tonne is too high, but there are no easily discovered Australian price guides online.

azzrock
23rd April 2011, 12:36 AM
it is hard to find i think ill have to make a phone call.
and i think you were of some help. greg.
thanks every one

Greg Q
23rd April 2011, 12:42 AM
Sometimes it helps to search in other languages: Apparently it's spelled "Jaspar"

eBay.be: SUPERBE CATALOGUE ANCIEN-FRAISEUSES-JASPAR-LIEGE-RARETE (objet 160534662196 Fin: 26-janv.-11 14:22:30 CET) (http://cgi.befr.ebay.be/SUPERBE-CATALOGUE-ANCIEN-FRAISEUSES-JASPAR-LIEGE-RARETE-/160534662196)

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:2eyOhkZrHd8J:www.usinages.com/fraiseuse-jaspar-t8164-15.html+jaspar+liege+fraiseuse&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=safari&source=www.google.com

I'm getting lots of hits searching "jaspar liege fraiseuse" which is the french word for milling machine.

Bon Chance

Oh...download Google translate to your toolbar...easy cut n paste translations. Not 100%, but enough to get the general idea.

azzrock
30th April 2011, 03:30 AM
here is a few pics of a milling machine i have been considering buying

pipeclay
30th April 2011, 08:25 AM
Looks like it still has the wrapping on,couldnt of seen much use.

Anorak Bob
30th April 2011, 09:08 AM
Azz,

If it's cheap and it works, buy it. But before you do, make certain the horizontal arbor overarm and end support are there.

I was sucked in badly once when I paid way too much for an English back geared drill press that I was besotted with. To me it was a thing of beauty. To any normal, clear thinking person it was scrap metal. The reality was that it was plain worn out and I came to that realization after squandering a lot of time and money on it. It's gone. It was the perfect example of trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Remove romance and look at the thing objectively.

Bob.

azzrock
30th April 2011, 02:23 PM
i wanted to take the plastic off but am trying not to be to much of a pain to the guy who owns the place. it was on old school tool making shop that has evolved into a general engineering workshop.
the owner has told me it works fine. he just needed to make some room. i think its complete. all the major parts are there.
there asking the scrap value for it. witch i think is higher than i thought. maybe over 1000 bucks.the son i did mention the tooling but im not shore if its included.

Greg Q
1st May 2011, 12:42 AM
That's a joke, as if scrap iron goes for $1000/tonne. He'd almost have to pay to have it carted away.

azzrock
1st May 2011, 01:23 AM
greg i like you style. first day i meet him i offered 200 bucks but that was to low

antoni
1st May 2011, 01:46 AM
Hi
would it be a ton in it.
a mates got one like it, may be 450kgs could be smaller.
Tony

azzrock
1st May 2011, 03:59 AM
ya probably not a ton. i keep thinking 8 ton to the cubic m. i think. but most of it is hollow.
i do have a few other options

azzrock
1st May 2011, 04:10 AM
ya probably not a ton. i keep thinking 8 ton to the cubic m. i think. but most of it is hollow.
i do have a few other options

i was thinking of using this drill as a mill. it doesn't have the right table.
but it looks like other mills Ive seen on this forum

Greg Q
2nd May 2011, 05:43 AM
You won't be able to unless it has some provision for locking a tool in the quill bore. Without that the side loads from even light milling will cause the tool to release.

azzrock
2nd May 2011, 06:35 AM
ya i think ill pull the top of and have a look. hopefully a draw bar can be fitted

Dave J
2nd May 2011, 01:30 PM
Just remember there are other designs to hold the taper in that don't use a draw bar, like the nut on Arboga mills.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/arboga-em825-mill-drill-arbor-removal-130673/index2.html#post1271373

Weekend Tool Gloat: Arboga gearhead drill - The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop Magazine's BBS (http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=46212)

Dave

Greg Q
2nd May 2011, 01:43 PM
Yeah, but the drills aren't threaded at the spindle nose to accept a locking ring. There will be a lower bearing cap on the lower end of the spindle. Perhaps that could be removed and 10mm of thread cut into the quill to accept a locking ring.

Dave J
2nd May 2011, 02:01 PM
Hi Greg,
Thats what I was thinking if there is no provision for a draw bar. It would be an easy mod if there is enough room for the thread.

Dave

azzrock
2nd May 2011, 09:50 PM
the motor is mounted towards the back of the drill. i might be dreaming but i hoped i could drill the top of the spindle. to excert a draw bar. its a fairly solid looking drill the table and head move up and down. is that the z axis?
i still will have to find a table. and fit a single phase motor.
ill put some up right photos on here. i think its a herles 35768
im not shore witch way to go yet

Greg Q
2nd May 2011, 10:11 PM
It might be possible to do as you say. That is an Asian copy of the typical Swedish drills: Arboga, Rosenfors, Strands etc. I think you'll find that the motor is a two-speed three phase. If you are able to find a single phase to fit you'll lose half of your speeds.

WRT to the drawbar: It just might be possible. The upper bearing lives at the top of the quill, and there is often a cut-out in the casting in which a sheet metal disc in installed. You'd have access through there.

Here's a link to a machine dealer's site which has PDFs of the diagrams for similar drills. This particular file looks like it would be pretty close to that Herless thing.

http://www.hhrobertsmachinery.com/Support/Manual_machine_Parts_Lists/Strands/S25-120Volt.pdf

RayG
2nd May 2011, 10:28 PM
Hi Azzrock,

Don't want to throw cold water on the idea of converting a drill press into a mill, but I don't think you'll be very happy with the results, the bearings are usually not suitable for side loads and a drill press is nowhere near the rigidity required for most milling operations.

If you want a mill, keep looking, there are plenty of good second hand machines out there for reasonable money.

Regards
Ray

PS, Keep an eye on Grays Auctions, you'll probably do better there than on ebay http://www.graysonline.com/search.aspx?q=milling+machine

azzrock
2nd May 2011, 10:52 PM
ok ray as i was typing the last post i was thinking about the spindle bearings . good comment

Anorak Bob
2nd May 2011, 11:09 PM
Azz,

I'm getting a bit lost here. In the CTC boring head post you show photos of a tapered milling arbor you are machining and also the boring / facing head you have. Sort of suggests that you already own a mill. If you do, why would you want to fool around with the drill and it's non milling table?

I can understand the Belgian mill but I'm puzzled by the drill.

Bob.

azzrock
3rd May 2011, 01:54 AM
i hi bob. i dont own one. there is one at work. its never used. don't tell any one but sometimes i have time to have a play with it. there is no tooling. except a vice and a 50mm face cutter with no inserts. ive bought a few things but don't want to spend more than i have to. that's why ive been making arbors ect. so know i have a boring head and 100 mm seco face mill and a few other things. i like using the mill at work but do want one for my self.
here is a photo of it

RayG
3rd May 2011, 02:16 AM
Hi Azzrock,

Why don't you make an offer on that Kondia at work, sounds like they don't have any need for it.

Regards
Ray