PDA

View Full Version : French Influence

Fredo
24th April 2011, 12:34 PM
Morning gents,

Here's something different, for me (wasn't sure if I should post this, but here goes anyway)

I made this for my wife in September 2010 after a demo organised by Richard Raffan at my local wood guild featuring French turner Benoit Averly. I was influenced by a slideshow of his and many other French turner/wood artists work (a real eye-opener, those guys do some wonderful things that are really off the scale).

I call it a trinket box. It's turned on three centres, firstly between centres as an end-grain lidded box and then with the lid removed to allow clearance for it to be turned on two centres as cross grain hollowings (I had to make a faceplate chuck to mount and hold it to be able to hollow the two pockets and also had to use weights to counterbalance during hollowing). The pockets are internal spheres with 65mm openings for access. It was a fairly long process (about 8 hours) to make as a first time attempt because I had to work out how to do it as I went.

Size is 500mm high X 150mm X 130mm. Front face was left as was (with chainsaw marks), other sides were sanded and some pyrography added, which was another first for me. Also some small routed flutes were added around the lid.

I think it's okay for a first try, my wife likes it, and that's what's important, right? (If you guys don't like it, I can always blame the French :roll:)

Fredo :U

dr4g0nfly
28th April 2011, 07:08 AM
Now this I like, turned but not completely and the thought that has gone into seeing the wood differently.

We have Benoit Averly visiting us in the UK soon - so hopefully I'll pick up some similar inspiration.

mkypenturner
28th April 2011, 07:29 AM
very nice fredo:2tsup: whats the timber ??

Sawdust Maker
28th April 2011, 10:26 PM
Nice work :2tsup:

powderpost
28th April 2011, 11:30 PM
Excellent piece.
Jim

cookie48
29th April 2011, 01:52 AM
I like it. Looks great.

Fredo
29th April 2011, 09:21 AM
Dr4gOnfly - Thanks for the interest. If you get the opportunity to attend one of Benoits demos don't miss it, he is a very talented and entertaining young turner/wood artist.

mkypenturner - Thanks for the interest. The wood is Claret Ash, as this piece was just an experiment no care was taken in selecting the wood, it was the first piece off the pile and used as was with all faults.

Sawdust Maker, powderpost and cookie48 - I know it's a bit quirky and unusual. Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

Fredo :U

Michael Spain
1st May 2011, 08:00 AM
Hi Fredo,it is a very original and very well realized work, really I believe you that you should have had to be employed very much at it, but the result is a surprising piece:2tsup:, the French woodturners are very good, I have learned much of them, although sometimes I try to imitate them but remain to half of way. Greetings from Canary Islands, to another side of the world.:;

Randir
2nd May 2011, 01:18 PM
Every time I look on this forum I get more and more new ideas to try. Did it have the lathe bouncing around a bit turning unbalanced like that? Fantastic piece

patrick m stein
3rd May 2011, 10:56 AM
hi fredo,

very nice piece

patrick:2tsup:

orraloon
3rd May 2011, 03:01 PM
That is nice. Different to most turners offerings but has its own appeal.
Plased on display with a bunch of bowls, S&P shakers, candle holders and the like it would be the thing the croud looks at first.
Regards
John