PDA

View Full Version : Can't get much cheaper...

hardwoodjoint
24th April 2011, 03:22 PM
I found this old lathe sitting on the side of the road last week, 'free to a good home'.
So it did, I cleaned it up, de-rusted some bits and mounted it on a piece of pine.
It's got four speeds, a bit fiddly to change gear but what the hell. It'll do until I decide if turning's my 'thing'.
Now I have to go and buy some chisels, cheapos at the moment. But S.W.M.B.O says if I'm a good boy I may get something better next year....

Cheers
Tony in sunny Dapto

Peter36
24th April 2011, 04:26 PM
Looks pretty good for a freebie.:2tsup:

pommyphil
24th April 2011, 04:27 PM
Don't let it put you off turning.:) Apparently they make good sanders.

Cheers Phil.

Ross
24th April 2011, 04:40 PM
We all had to start some where.

Ross

Pat
24th April 2011, 05:25 PM
Started on one just like that. Do yourself a favour and do not get the elcheapo carbon chisels, that every time you look at turning, you have to sharpen.

EG, Gasweld have these High Speed Steel (https://www.gasweld.com.au/products/533017)chisels, which do an ok job and are good to learn to sharpen correctly, they also have these Carbon Steel (https://www.gasweld.com.au/products/533016), which are good for paperweights and a lot of sharpening practice.

Mentioning sharpening, have you got a grinder? I picked both of mine at garage sales.

cookie48
25th April 2011, 12:06 AM
That is what I started with. Now have an MC1100 and going to upgrade that allso. Once you start you are hooked. Come in spinner.

thompy
25th April 2011, 12:35 AM
Looks the same as the one i also just aquired.

If its a help to you, Roval WLE-000, as per the pic.

Identical in every way i can see that you've posted except for that missing sticker and what appears to be an earth screw on the front of mine(significance of it i dont know) and the baseplate, and perhaps you may not have the headstock faceplate attachment.

Without the faceplate you'll be stuck with spindle only work and kind of limited with what you can do. With that said you can get creative and unscrew the drive centre and go get a nut to match and make your own (you can also make your own wooden morse taper attachment for pens and the like). That will open up bowls / platters / goblets / etc. with sacrificial wooden chuckings, i probably wouldn't bother with more than the cheapy tools to begin with, it is very situationally dependant, the turning world at large has no bottom to the cash pit.

I've been told its a good start, if you've got any queries your in the right place, good luck.

Neal.

artme
25th April 2011, 07:26 AM
A free start on that is better than no start! Pity about the missing faceplate, but it would e possible to have one made and thereby continue the dip into the money pit.:D:p

hardwoodjoint
25th April 2011, 10:44 AM
Thanks all for the advice.
I'll investigate if a local engineer can turn a steel faceplate for me.
Seems like I shouldn't buy the cheapo chisels, I'll see what's on offer on the net.
Cheers
Tony

Ross
25th April 2011, 11:46 AM
Tony

Try these to start, they are HSS from Carbatec

Carba-TecŪ 3 Piece Miniature Turning Chisel Set : CARBA-TEC (http://www.carbatec.com.au/carba-tec-3-piece-miniature-turning-chisel-set_c14090)

Ross

tea lady
25th April 2011, 01:23 PM
The starter set chisels aren't bad. :shrug: And then for some reason they multiply like rabbits. :hmm: Try Jim Carrol's :cool:

sturina
25th April 2011, 01:48 PM
If you check the headstock width and tpi of the drive shaft Gasweld in Wollongong can get some spares in if it fits there model (which looks pretty similar) I think theres in 3/4" 10tpi.

Stuart in Rainy Horsley

hardwoodjoint
25th April 2011, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the help everyone.
I'll go and see if there's someone at Gasweld that can help with a faceplate.
Time for a trip to Carba Tec soon!

Cheers
Tony in wet Dapto

Sturdee
25th April 2011, 07:30 PM
I started of with one of those and now is used as a polishing / sanding machine.

Don't worry about a faceplate instead get a scroll chuck with an insert to fit your machine. The inserts for that thread are available with the chuck (got mine from Carrolls at the time) and when you upgrade just buy a new insert.

Peter.

Bushmiller
25th April 2011, 09:48 PM
Tony

Even modest quality lathes can be improved by making up a solid stand for them. I have used heavy channel and even heavy channel filled with concrete!

It dampens down all the vibrations of the less expensive lathes. I made a concrete base for a lathe similar in style to yours (two concrete triangular legs joining a concrete filled length of steel channel.) It is a bit of overkill.

A second lathe, a Tough, which I think is a copy of a Woodfast I also put on a lump of steel channel as pictured. It is in four pieces. Two cabinets, the steel channel and the lathe itself.

Regards
Paul