PDA

View Full Version : Taking the Sieg C6 lathe apart

snowyskiesau
25th April 2011, 06:08 PM
I have to crate up the lathe but the removalist have a weight limit on a single crate (they can take a heavier item but it costs lots more)

The Sieg C6 lathe weighs 145kgs unpacked so I've removed:

motor 10kgs
carriage 25kgs
tailstock 8kgs
chuck 6kgs
gears 6kgs

Total 55kgs

90kgs should be light enough for them. Interestingly, no similar problems taking the fridge which must weigh well over 100kgs?

I only hope I don't lose any bits :no:

I'll do anything to avoid packing boxes :B

Dave J
25th April 2011, 06:28 PM
Hope the move goes well, will you be getting more room?

Dave

snowyskiesau
25th April 2011, 06:36 PM
Hope the move goes well, will you be getting more room?

Dave

I don't know, I haven't got anything lined up as yet :doh: Given my current workshop space is only 2.4 x 4 metres, anything will be an improvement!

I'll look for a place to rent once I get there. Everything will stay in storage until I find something

Dave J
25th April 2011, 06:46 PM
Where are you off to?

Dave

snowyskiesau
25th April 2011, 06:53 PM
Where are you off to?

Dave

Sunny Hobart or somewhere nearby.
Not looking for anything too flash, it just has to have a LARGE garage/workshop and room for the Van (http://cnc.turkeys.net.au/sprinter/van.jpg). :)

Dave J
25th April 2011, 07:06 PM
My wife wants to go on holidays over their soon. One of our members here lives over there as well.

Dave

snowyskiesau
25th April 2011, 07:08 PM
I think we have quite a few Tassie members here.

Dave J
25th April 2011, 07:31 PM
I would hate to move, the mate always jokes I would have 3-4 semi loads here, and then the house contents on top, lol
Let us know how you go, at least you have the van to stay in if need be, it's big enough.

Dave

ian
26th April 2011, 12:01 PM
I have to crate up the lathe but the removalist have a weight limit on a single crate (they can take a heavier item but it costs lots more)

The Sieg C6 lathe weighs 145kgs unpacked so I've removed:

motor 10kgs
carriage 25kgs
tailstock 8kgs
chuck 6kgs
gears 6kgs

Total 55kgs

90kgs should be light enough for them. Interestingly, no similar problems waking the fridge which must weigh well over 100kgs?

I only hope I don't lose any bits :no:

I'll do anything to avoid packing boxes :B90kgs is a minimum TWO person lift, generally OH&S wants individual loads to be less than 25kg
the difference with a fridge is that they can generally put it on a hand trolley
do you mind if the lathe is moved standing on one end?

I thought the idea was for you to move the big heavy bulky stuff -- hence the van

snowyskiesau
26th April 2011, 12:19 PM
90kgs is a minimum TWO person lift, generally OH&S wants individual loads to be less than 25kg
the difference with a fridge is that they can generally put it on a hand trolley
do you mind if the lathe is moved standing on one end?

No problem with this, it's how it was moved in. The lathe will be bolted to the base of the crate (12mm ply) so shouldn't move about.

I thought the idea was for you to move the big heavy bulky stuff -- hence the vanThat was the plan originally. Once I started actually weighing stuff, I had to make 'adjustments' to the plan, it's surprising how much the small stuff adds up :~

The eBay scales have certainly paid their way.

Driftabout
26th April 2011, 12:38 PM
When I was a removalist, things like fridges & washing machines could be handled by 2 guys or one guy and a hand trolley. Chest freezers which were much more common where likely to be the heaviest items but could be easily managed once you got a piano trolley under them. In fact it is amazing just what you can manouver using a piano trolley. The real wieght problems are things like wardrobes which people jammed full of clothes and then proceeded to break apart when you tried to lift them. I soon learnt to chech the contents of furniture before attempting the lift. Books, mags, shoes when crammed into soon add up in wieght and if the onject being moved was only ever designed to sit taking a static load, tears soon followed.

By the way welcome to Tassie, shame it's down south but I'm sure you'll be welcome.

snowyskiesau
26th April 2011, 01:13 PM
The removalist I got the quote from (Island Removals in Tassie) mentioned the use of a piano trolley when I gave them details of the size/weight of the lathe. It increased the quote price by $100.

ian
26th April 2011, 01:57 PM
Geoff

out of interest have you investigated the cost of shipping the stuff that doesn't fit in the van as "freight" loaded onto one (or more) shipping pallets?
when a friend returned to the US 12 months ago, the cost of moving palletised "freight" was surprisingly low -- like around the same cost as taking your van on the ferry to Tassie

snowyskiesau
26th April 2011, 02:26 PM
Geoff

out of interest have you investigated the cost of shipping the stuff that doesn't fit in the van as "freight" loaded onto one (or more) shipping pallets?
when a friend returned to the US 12 months ago, the cost of moving palletised "freight" was surprisingly low -- like around the same cost as taking your van on the ferry to Tassie

Ian,
This was mentioned as a cheap option on another forum and I did look into this but the problem is access to load a pallet to a truck. There's no driveway access for a truck or even a pallet jack. If I packed a pallet on my front verandah, the only place I could do it, it wont fit out the front gate to the street and there's no access between the driveway and the front gate. I did ask about a truck with a hiab to lift it over the fairly low front wall but this option wasn't available - at least at the company I spoke with. Also would a refridgerator qualify as a pallet load?

Forward planning? In hindsight a good idea:U

ian
26th April 2011, 02:52 PM
you could always pack the pallets inside the van -- for the freight company to unload at their yard using their forklift

but I see that the removal might only cost ~$600 so maybe not worth the effort

snowyskiesau
26th April 2011, 02:54 PM
you could always pack the pallets inside the van -- for the freight company to unload at their yard using their forklift

Now that would have been a good idea! The sprinter will take 2 full sized pallets wither through the back or side doors.
Next time ...

wheelinround
26th April 2011, 03:32 PM
Greenie for Geoff :2tsup:

wheelinround
27th April 2011, 09:55 PM
Geoff thanks for the visit today and the bench :2tsup:

Nice to hear your story on moving to Tassie and that Van :o