PDA

View Full Version : ER Collets

Anorak Bob
26th April 2011, 11:19 AM
This is worth reading.

ER Collet Conundrum - Rem Sales (http://www.remsales.com/home/resources/er_collet_conundrum.html)

BT

Stustoys
26th April 2011, 11:36 AM
BT,
Interesting. I'll keep that in mind when I order my ER set. Sounds like metric cutters with metric collects or imp cutters with imp collets would be ok. Although I seem to remember some meter/imp ER collet sets are the same sizes with different numbers on them, but I can't remember what system they infact were.

Stuart

Greg Q
27th April 2011, 01:07 AM
That article makes some sense...shrink fit tool holders are said to be the most rigid, chatter-free system available. Squeezing down a nominal 10mm collet on a 3/8 shaft does have issues as discussed in the piece. Likewise a 1/2" in a 13mm-you get the idea. I do note however that they are talking about demanding applications. I don't think I'll be doing a lot of thread milling on my manual mill. (dammit)

Anorak Bob
27th April 2011, 09:10 AM
That article makes some sense...shrink fit tool holders are said to be the most rigid, chatter-free system available. Squeezing down a nominal 10mm collet on a 3/8 shaft does have issues as discussed in the piece. Likewise a 1/2" in a 13mm-you get the idea. I do note however that they are talking about demanding applications. I don't think I'll be doing a lot of thread milling on my manual mill. (dammit)

No. But there's every chance that you will use a dovetail or tee slot cutter.

eskimo
27th April 2011, 10:31 AM
I'm glad I got both Imp & Met sizes....cos I'm a perfectionist:D

but I dont think it will help me all that much..haha

Greg Q
27th April 2011, 11:24 AM
No. But there's every chance that you will use a dovetail or tee slot cutter.

100% chance, and I do take your point. Have you ever seen imperial ER32s that were what they claimed to be and not a re-labeled metric?

Greg

Anorak Bob
27th April 2011, 11:28 AM
Yep,

A few of my Regos are imperial.

BT

azzrock
29th April 2011, 09:14 PM
i think both would be great as well. and ive been considering the purchase of some collets for my lathe and some for a mill as well. know im wondering would er collets
be the choice of a perfectionist. what do you think Eskimo.

I'm glad I got both Imp & Met sizes....cos I'm a perfectionist:D

but I dont think it will help me all that much..haha

Dave J
29th April 2011, 09:41 PM
From what I have seen Eskimo is a perfectionist, he even made up 2 fly cutters so he could work in both directions of the spindle.

Dave

eskimo
30th April 2011, 10:20 AM
he even made up 2 fly cutters so he could work in both directions of the spindle.

Dave

BIG MOUTH:D

and don't forget to tell them all that I can measure the X&Y of the mill table for being level at the same time with-out having to move the machinist level...now that is perfection?......hahaha