PDA

View Full Version : casting help needed

bowl-basher
26th April 2011, 02:46 PM
Hi all
I want to make a couple of sierra pens for one of my family who works with special needs kids teaching car body work and mechanics, he gave up working with the super v8's to work with the kids and I would like to say a special thanks
I have (with the help of his wife) pinched some of the carbon fiber composite material that he used on the V8's and now need the help of one of you super "casters" to make it in to a couple of sierra pens
There is a fair bit of the material (300mm x 100 mm) and I would only like 3 barrels so there would be a few pens there for any one that is prepared to give me a hand in this project
If you are in Sydney I wold be able to bring it to you and have a peek at how you work your magic
Look forward to your replys
Thanks
Bowl-Basher

wheelinround
26th April 2011, 03:24 PM
BB the carbon fibre used for pens is much finer (thickness of material) I think not saying it can not be done but it could make the barrel fatter than normal. Good luck look forward to seeing the result.

minus459
26th April 2011, 11:31 PM
Bowl I'd love to help, but I'm not in Sydney, I'm also a newbie to all of this, but I am doing castings and if you luck out with the real casters, give me a yell, a challenge I'd enjoy.:;

undies

gawdelpus
27th April 2011, 04:55 AM
It depends on the thickness of the material as to what you may be able to achieve with it , that will give you an indication of whether you can wrap it around a sierra kit and still have a coating enough to turn down ,sierras are quite thin walled, the sierra vista is a slightly thicker walled kit ,that's the one they use for the circuit board kits. the elegant beauty is another with good wall thickness, and also the cigar pen. I suspect that it will fray close to edges when cut ,making it tricky to wrap around and glue to a tube neatly ,you might try, layering it in strips with glue in between till you have built up enough to be able to make a blank by the normal methods, a bit wasteful of material though ,good luck with it though :) cheers ~ John

bowl-basher
27th April 2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the comments
John I am prepared to use whatever kit needed for this I only mentioned Sierra because that seems to be what the casters do most of
Bowl Basher

bowl-basher
27th April 2011, 06:11 PM
Bowl I'd love to help, but I'm not in Sydney, I'm also a newbie to all of this, but I am doing castings and if you luck out with the real casters, give me a yell, a challenge I'd enjoy.:;

undies
Thanks for the offer.... What would you like me to send down ??? I am not sure of the tube length for the others that John mentioned but I have plenty of standard Sierra tubes and I am sure that I will find you some interesting timber Blanks for your trouble
Regards
Graham

SawDustSniffer
3rd May 2011, 09:24 PM
had a bit of experience with Carbon fibre my self , the Carbon / kevlar mix that you show is quite thin , compressed in a board would make up about 0.3mm ( 3k twill fabric )

the hardest part would be the fraying of the cut side , i would resin the fabric 5mm wide , rap around a tube with plastic sheet in-between , once its dry cut the resin area straight , apply resin with a brush and glue to tube with the straight unfreyed cut on top , brush on layers until the the fabric is full then cast , a lot of work , and you will still see the join

most carbon fibre pen kits use " sleeve " carbon , where the strands are braided around , and fitted to a tube , twisting the braide will reduce its size (no join )

i have braided the copper tubes with good results with 3k twill , thats using the strands of carbon fibre and weaving around the tubes that are painted black ( photo ) even more work :C

bowl-basher
14th July 2011, 11:58 AM
Hi All I am happy to report that this project will come to a successful end today when I put these two pens in the mail.
This is all due to the help and perseverance of on of our Melbourne members
Undies all I can say is thanks mate and a job well done!!!!!!!!:2tsup::2tsup:
They are finished with MicroMesh,burnishing cream and Plastix.
The kits are Siera Vista from Addictive
Thanks again Undies

minus459
14th July 2011, 04:04 PM
Wow Graham they look great mate, glad I could help.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

undies