PDA

View Full Version : Gluing Blackbutt - lamination

Astrodog
27th April 2011, 11:33 AM
Hi there...

I am building a bench at present, and have decided to use blackbutt as framing - to get legs to 90x90 I need to glue two pieces. Advice at timber merchant is a polyurethane glue (AV515 I think). I was sure PVA would be a better choice, I have Aquadhere and Titebond III in my workshop.
Legs will be made up of 2/90x45 pieces. At the end of the day the front rail will be bolted through the post, which will keep the boards clamped, but I'd like to know the glue would be OK. I don't relish the thought of cleanup with any PU glue.....
Should I just use PVA, or should I follow the advice and use a PU???

cheers
Lee

NCArcher
27th April 2011, 12:44 PM
Hi Lee,
I would have thought PVA, especially TB3 would be more than adequate. I'd be interested to know which merchant advised you to use PU.
The Hama uses a lot of Blackwood. Hey Claw, does blackwood have any special qualities that require the use of PU?

Claw Hama
27th April 2011, 01:00 PM
Sometimes it will get a green tinge to it depending on the timber but all my Blackwood furniture gets TB Original, II or III or equivelant. At the moment I have gone back to Selleys Aquadhere External. Those glue tests I did a year or so back and posted on the site were all blackwood and all the glues except Polyurethane took wood with them. Oh just noticed the top post says Blackbutt, I have never used anything but the above on Blackbutt. See my website for all the Blackbutt pieces I have made and sold.

NCArcher
27th April 2011, 01:07 PM
Oh just noticed the top post says Blackbutt, I have never used anything but the above on Blackbutt.

Oops, my bad. Gave you a bum steer there CH :B

Astrodog
27th April 2011, 01:14 PM
Excellent news! Thanks guys for the advice... :2tsup:

Claw Hama
27th April 2011, 01:48 PM
Our pleasure, only to pleased to be of assistance.:U