PDA

View Full Version : Youtube video

gtwilkins
27th April 2011, 02:10 PM
G'Day,

Just saw this posted on another forum:

YouTube - Introduction to Woodturning Tools

Who is this person and where did he learn to turn?

Not a good video to promote tool use.

Trevor

bowl-basher
27th April 2011, 06:19 PM
:oo::oo::oo: yow :oo::oo::oo:

Jim Carroll
27th April 2011, 06:22 PM
Sad really when someone promotes themselves as a teacher of woodturning and uses a Spindle Roughing Gouge on a bowl blank.:oo:

Will someone tell him it is only for spindle work between centres not faceplate work

Sawdust Maker
27th April 2011, 07:44 PM
Sad really when someone promotes themselves as a teacher of woodturning and uses a Spindle Roughing Gouge on a bowl blank.:oo:

Will someone tell him it is only for spindle work between centres not faceplate work

I was going to nominate

stuffy
27th April 2011, 08:08 PM
:no:
He could hardly be any worse.
Dangerous advice for new turners, and a terrible waste of a nice piece of Huon.

wheelinround
27th April 2011, 08:24 PM
Nicely done Pop Shed :2tsup:

Having seen a turner turn a bowl from Go to Woe using only a roughing gouge this shows the basic kit most hobby turners start out with. Yes he uses a more pro-type fluted gouge also. still he is showing there is always more than one way to turn that bowl.:2tsup:

burl
28th April 2011, 12:24 AM
As the Video says guys no rules..............It is what works for the turner. There is more that one way to turn a bowl and what we need is more people participating and getting people involved.

Sad to see you want to bag the competition Jim. What we need is more people teaching not sitting on the sidelines and bagging those that are trying to build the industry.

Jim Carroll
28th April 2011, 10:02 AM
As the Video says guys no rules..............It is what works for the turner. There is more that one way to turn a bowl and what we need is more people participating and getting people involved.

Sad to see you want to bag the competition Jim. What we need is more people teaching not sitting on the sidelines and bagging those that are trying to build the industry.

I am not bagging the opposition I just hate people using the wrong tools teaching beginers.

As most of the other posters indicate they dont like this either.

Beginers should be shown how to use the correct tools for the correct job, when they go away they can then experiment with all other tools. As you say there is more than one way to turn a bowl but do it safely and the correct tools help to do this.

Luckily for me I have been helping to build the woodturning industry for the last 20 years and love the job we do and help promote woodturning all over Australia.

burl
28th April 2011, 10:44 AM
I have removed the video from the web as I dont want to get into a slanging match Jim. We will reserve our comments for our website. I look forward to seeing your video Jim

A Duke
28th April 2011, 10:58 AM
Well that answers the original poster's question.

Sawdust Maker
28th April 2011, 03:04 PM
I have removed the video from the web as I dont want to get into a slanging match Jim. We will reserve our comments for our website. I look forward to seeing your video Jim

Looks like you'd better do a video, Jim :D

stuffy
28th April 2011, 03:36 PM
To be fair I thought the presentation of the video was very good.
It's not easy speaking clearly and fluently while demonstrating either in public or on camera.
I also agree that more promotion of woodturning is a good thing, and I wish Pop's Shed every success in business.

I disagree with the idea of "no rules". Good technique does follow rules, some are important for safety, others help improve the quality of our turning.
Anyone with something to teach is giving their opinion or rules on how to do something. A good teacher will teach beginners the best practise as recognized by experienced and knowledgeable experts in their field.

There are numerous books and videos by expert turners that describe the best techniques for turning the outside of bowls. Using a spindle roughing gouge is not the best or safest way. Some experienced turners may be able to do so, but only with knowledge and experience of the capabilities and dangers of that tool. They have learned the rules before breaking them.

A very basic rule of turning is to cut with the grain where ever possible. In cross grain orientation on the outside of a bowl this is from the foot of the bowl towards the rim.

By all means demonstrate the use of all the tools in a common beginners set, but use them for the purpose and in the manner for which they were designed.

Steve.

thompy
28th April 2011, 05:10 PM
Sounds bit like, and not wishing to ruffle feathers here or upset, a case of overcritical and oversensitive. I'm no expert. I watched the vid not overly closely and didn't pick up the problem. It's been literally years since i ever put my nose into a text and perhaps i should.

For clarity, the problem is he used a "spindle gouge" (ive always called it a roughing gouge) on a "bowl blank" (an as far as i see it untill something is off the lathe an finished its just hopeful wood) to work the outside edge of the bowl? So his apparent crime is not having a tailstock in place while he demonstrated/used that particular chisel without mentioning it or explaining it in more detail?

I'm not pops defender, nor associated, nor really interested, or malice intended, but i think the vid was made in the spirit of "Here's what ya can do if your looking to get into woodworking with a lathe, dont be scared of it" and it was critiqued by "Experts with many years experience in a textbook manner". Unless i'm totaly off an this pair have a not so nice history or something else i'm missing.

I saw the vid and like anyone else i took in what i needed to as it pertains directly to me, another bowl turned by a guy with a commercial woodshop, nice wood, i like how that huon shaves, what speeds he using, switch off time, aimed at less confident audience than me. I like the rules i was taught i like my fingers and bodily parts pretty much exactly where they are. I've got enough lathe experience and smarts and (somehow) remember most of my basic stuff from school and tend to use it, if i see anything contrary i'll usually ask.

So he missused a tool or took for granted his ability and didn't mention it. I liked the vid.

Neal.

PS- Forgive me if i'm totally wrong (on either side), only saw the vid once, not an expert on anything.

cookie48
29th April 2011, 02:07 AM
I did not get to see the Video before it was removed, but I get the gist of what is going on I think. Everyone has the right to do what they want to do the way they want to do it. Bloody hell yes SAFETY is important, but allso if you learn to do something different than the way a book tells you to, do it. As long as it is safe.

wheelinround
29th April 2011, 08:58 AM

Glad you read all the posts burl. :~

Sawdust Maker
29th April 2011, 09:04 AM
We had the discussion on not using a Spindle Roughing Gouge on anything but spindle work a few months back
here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/roughing-gouge-128578/index4.html)

I've no interest in having a go at Pop's Shed and I thought it was a very well made video. And I hope another is made in similar vein. ie done naturally.

My real shock came from the presentation showing techniques which you wouldn't teach a beginner.

thompy
29th April 2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks SM and everyone else, y'all can can rubber stamp "HELPED" on my forehead, for whatever the thread or source of discussions i've learnt something (or refreshed) today, going to go down and reassess my newbie chisel set, and once i've got my lathe going again my methods as well. I've also got a lot more reading and research and link following to do.

Neal.

Sawdust Maker
29th April 2011, 02:24 PM
Neal

Get lessons - 'tis the best way IMHO

I'm going to sign up for some remedial when I get my act together

wheelinround
29th April 2011, 06:10 PM
Neal

Get lessons - 'tis the best way IMHO

I'm going to sign up for some remedial when I get my act together

Try acupuncture Nick if the massage doesn't work :? not sure how it going help your turning :q

jefferson
2nd May 2011, 10:04 PM
I missed the clip before it was removed, so can only think / accept that a spindle roughing gouge was used on bowl work ie cross-grain.

It's funny how this "argument" appears from time to time ie "do whatever works".

I accept none of it. Accidents happen for a reason.

In the case of a SPINDLE ROUGHING GOUGE, you can almost shove the tool into a spindle revolving at high revs and not catch, even on the corner of the tool.

Not so with the same corner presented to a bowl ie cross-grain.

It's damn dangerous!

Funny thing is the local club had Ken Wraight up doing a demonstration some time back. Someone was told / warned / advised not to use said roughing gouge on a bowl......

End result was the gouge went flying out the door of the workshop. "Point taken" was the only response from a suitably chastised pupil.

So there are at least two rules for beginners turning bowls: don't use a skew (other than as a scraper) or a spindle roughing gouge for this kind of turning.

Seems simple to me.

And why not just use a bowl gouge anyway? Made for the task.

RETIRED
2nd May 2011, 11:31 PM
I was not going to answer this as most know my thoughts on this subject.

I refer you to this thread here: http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/youtube-woodturning-89491/ as Nick has put up the other one.

As a woodturning teacher and tutor it is of paramount importance that techniques be taught that ensure the utmost safety to pupil, teacher and equipment.

Surprisingly, this means using the right tool for the job.

Experimentation comes AFTER you have mastered the basics.