PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to The Phillapines lately?

munruben
29th April 2011, 06:15 PM
Has any guys or gals been to the Phillipines recently for a holiday, if so, what is it like? We. (wife and I ) are thinking of taking a break later on but not decided where to go. Things seem pretty cheap in the Phillipines and it looks okay on the travel brochures.
Can someone tell me a bit about it first hand. Is Manilla a good location for a couple of weeks or would it be too long in one spot.
what is a good location in Manilla for accommodation? I believe the city is very diverse and some areas are not safe. Same as any big city I guess.

We were originally opting for a trip to Europe and especially to spend some time in Rome but due to family problems that has drained the purse quite a bit, we are looking at somewhere closer and not too expensive but don't want to go somewhere that is unfriendly or has other problems. That's why I am asking around.

Have been to Bali and Thailand plus New Zealand a couple of times so wanted to go somewhere that we haven't been before.

Ironwood
29th April 2011, 06:39 PM
I havent been there for about 25 years, so my advise will be somewhat outdated.

But, I think to stay in Manilla for the whole time would be too much, look at side trips to places like Baggio (not sure of the spelling), Borocay, Peurto Galera, Illocos Norte, (check spelling on all).
I'm sure there would be many other superb locations on some of the outer Islands, I think from memory the Phillipines has over 7000 islands.
When I was there, there were parts you needed to avoid, some of the southern most Islands were not safe, and definitely parts of Manila you would want to avoid.
Make sure you are not there while an election is on , I was there when a election was in full swing ( I think Ninoy was one of the guys running), Manilla was risky to be on the streets for almost a week.

There were quite a few historical sites that were worth a visit, I think the Spanish were the first Europeans to (looking for the right word ) populate PI. there were a few monuments and such to look at.

I'm sure someone else has been there more recently than me, and can give some better advise though.

munruben
29th April 2011, 10:39 PM
Thanks for that. I was hoping someone may have been there recently. Might have changed a bit. :)