PDA

View Full Version : Oturigger Canoe Plans

Kjones
3rd May 2011, 12:25 AM
Hi All

I'm looking for some outrigger canoe plans in the capacity of something that can be sailed in open water and easily paddled by one person. Is capable of doing extened journeys and can be car-topped and is easily disassembled and re-assembled again by a single person.

Something along the lines of an expedtion sea kayak in storage capacity but with an open cockpit and outrigger(s)

If anyone has seen anything like this out there please send me a link.

Cheers,

Kal :2tsup:

peterAustralia
3rd May 2011, 01:41 PM
here is my website
tacking-outrigger.com (http://www.tacking-outrigger.com)

other sites, I think Selway Fisher has plans for one,
Gary Deirking and his Wapa designs seem most popular theseadays

yahoo group proa_file is very polpular

by the way, where in Victoria are you, I am in Sunshine Melbourne

peterAustralia
3rd May 2011, 01:48 PM
here in one more

wikiproa / Peter Haydon's Anima (http://wikiproa.pbworks.com/w/page/14592502/Peter-Haydon%27s-Anima)

Peter recounted that he had problems with his voyage off Bells Beach. Water ingress etc. No lasting harm done. One problem was that he was using a large paddling kayak as in essence a trimaran. Because of this freeboard is low.

If purpose designed, freeboard would be higher

Jim Mikalak Trilars might be worth a shot. Or a 16ft Wapa with dual outriggers. There is a book, building outrigger sailing canoes, pretty good. Gary (the author) is in the yahoo group proa_file. Also there are a couple of links to his page from my website. Look for Ulua and Tamanau

Oh yeah, Ulua looks pretty nice too.

Kjones
3rd May 2011, 11:56 PM
Thanks heaps Peter,

I like the look of the Ulua in particular reminds me of the boats used by the Kuna Yula Indians of Panama thats what made me want to build one...Not out of a hollowed out log though.

I'm based between Melbourne (Bentleigh) and Gippsland (Wonthaggi) at the moment in the tranission phase. Hopefully once I'm settle this will be my project over the winter.

Appears you have quiet the facination if you interested in catching up for a chat I would like to pick your brain a bit as I haven't done something like this before and appears we have a mutual fascincation.

All the best and thanks again.

Kallum

peterAustralia
4th May 2011, 02:07 PM
Hi

Yeah, for me travelling over to the more refined eastern suburbs to have a chat over coffee is fine. I do get a little tired of living in these questionable western suburbs. Lots of the people are nice, but there are a lot of anti social types about too.

As to boats, what most people seem to do, is buy Gary Deirking's book on Amazon.com, and build one of the models therein. Ulua is strip planked, whereas Wapa is plywood. Ulua would take more time to build but be a better boat, whereas Wapa is probably a bit easier to make.

Once we popped into the wooden boat center at docklands, and had a quick look around and a short chat. People can build there boats there. You use their equipment etc. I think you pay a bit more that you would to do it yourself. The upside is that you get their expertise and use their equipemnt. What the cost is I do not know. Probably a bit beyond my budget.

A good outrigger canoe is a very seaworthy craft. I was looking at a BBC documentary on the weekend. One outrigger canoe from a Pacific Island was in continuous use for 130 years. In my reading, one canoe in 1941 got lost, and cruised the Pacific for 9 months until they reached land. With modern materials you can do more.

Me, I am just starting on my second boat. My first boat was an excercise in what not to do. At least I got out on the water and did some things.

I had a bandsaw and drill press arrive on Monday to assist with new boat building. In addition I have been getting some wood recently, mostly for strongback and crossbeams, I am yet to buy the light strong rot resistant wood needed for main hull stringers and chine logs.

I am happy to pass on the modest amount of information that I have. Please understand I do not condiser myself an expert, just a plodding amatuer that happens to be well read.

Unfortunately I have already passed on my copy of building outrigger sailnig canoes to Mike Hadfield in NSW. He built his boat without the advice of books or the internet.

For a first boat, something simple, that is car toppable would probably suffice.
16ft Wapa would be ok, Ulua is a very nice boat too if you are confident in strip planking ( I have never tried, but would like to give it a go some time)

Flaquita is a nice boat too. But probably more optimised to sailing than to paddling.

Looking through the links in my little website should end up with you getting a good handle on what people are up to. There are some more links at WikiProa (traditional pacific outrigger canoes etc). Another site TdeM something something has a lot of links.

As to proas, shunting craft. Go to Pacific Proa (google this) . This is the definitive website in regards to proas. Again more sailing and shunting, whereas I am less refined and keep to my little niche of solely tacking outrigger sailing canoes.

my mobile
0403 992 106

work
03 9313 4695

email
peterevans_33 at yahoo dot com dot au

HELLICONIA54
7th July 2011, 08:37 PM
I'm living in Melton sth.The "outer"western suburb.I built a self designed "pirogue" !7' long by 42" wide and 15" deep.I built mine to last and weighs 50Kg's.I carry it on my car .I am fitting twin outriggers etc,and have just been given an old windsurfer.So I'm trying the carbonfibre mast and sails soon.I also have built a motor bracket for my little 2horse motor.Its all compromise tho. I use it alot just as a canoe.(huge carrying capacity,4 adults plus) I wanted a boat i could use everywhere.

b.o.a.t.
8th July 2011, 12:56 AM
These popped up on Duckworks a few days after your initial posting.
Duckworks - Drifter Trimarans (http://duckworksmagazine.com/11/designs/drifter/index.htm)
No reason why they couldn't be decked in to keep water out.
You might want to consider something a bit more sophisticated than
the as-shown rig... very inefficient.
Doubt that they'd be much good as a straight canoe though.

Another alternative might be MIK's Eureka with outriggers & drop-in rig.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f169/eureka-canoe-outrigger-128887/
Again, you'd probably want to deck it if used in open waters, but it's a proven
canoe design, easily paddled.