PDA

View Full Version : What size Air Compressor?

RobSys
6th May 2011, 04:07 PM
Guys,

I want to add an air compressor to my workshop and am wonderingwhat size to get. I really only want to use it for cleaning purposes (blow gun) and maybe spray painting, bradding and small vaccuum generators for veneering bags, etc. I will not be attaching any very high volume tools such as sanders, etc.

I'm tossing up between a 1hp unit up to about 2.5 hp.

Thoughts?

Rob

crowie
6th May 2011, 08:12 PM
G'Day Rob,
For my money I'd go for the 2.5hp as that'd give you a 10cfm compressor;
the 1hp will only give you 4cfm.
Even the 10cfm would be working hard with high volume use air tools;
but will do most of the other tools you mentioned.
Cheers, Crowie.

Huzza
7th May 2011, 05:21 PM
Hullo Rob
Buy a quality brand compressor. I bought a fairly cheap brand and the regulator is made of that diecast junk and get a lot of muck building up inside and as a result the valves and regulator screw sticks. Seem to spend more time pulling it apart and cleaning it than using it. It is a GMC.
Cheers Huzza

wixy
28th May 2011, 03:25 PM
Anyone have an opinion on the air compressors total tools sell? Both their own brand (TTI) and Iron Air? I was looking at these today and they looked decent.

Huzza
28th May 2011, 09:51 PM
Hullo Wixy,http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/icons/icon11.gif
I solved my problem; bought my uncles old twin cylinder job for $150. Is fairly slow revving electric drive and does anything I need . Handles a 3/4 drive rattle gun removing tractor wheel nuts with ease. Also has a big air tank.
My only advice is buy one with valvework and regulator made of good steel. Good luck.

Cheers Huzza