PDA

View Full Version : 1930 Duesenberg, Prince of Limos

LiliB
7th May 2011, 03:35 PM
Hi everyone
Here are some photos of the latest addition to Dave's growing garage of model cars.

It is a 1930 Duesenberg, one of many body styles for this particular make. There were many many coach builders doing bodies for the maker. It is made from Tassie Oak and Red gum. He has been playing with inlays, instead of putting his side strip on top. I think it looks rather good.

The Tassie Oak came up beautifully after the finish, and although some of the photos look a bit yellow (photographed under artificial light) the contrast between the red and pale woods works well in real life.

He has also experimented with a new style of wheel. This is the basic 'wire wheel'. Next time he will have a crack at crossing the 'wires'.

The white wall, unfortunately, became more yellow due to the finish, but you can get the idea. If we can get something like Holly, then we may succeed better in giving the impression of white walls, rather than beige walls!!! Or I guess, it'll have to be white paint next time.

Cheers
LiliB
:U:U:U

wheelinround
7th May 2011, 05:32 PM
David/lillib that is a stunner.............I have an unfinished Dusi-J plastic kit model stored away.

artme
7th May 2011, 05:34 PM
:o:o What a stunner!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::):)

elderly
7th May 2011, 05:41 PM
That is one great looking car. Wonderful workmanship.
Cheers Elderly.

bobman 58
7th May 2011, 07:41 PM
hi great looking car did you have plans :2tsup:

crowie
7th May 2011, 08:52 PM
What a top toy car David & LiliB
or should I say model;
beautiful woodwork and craftsmanship.
Some of us can only how to aspire to this quality.
Well done.
Cheers, Crowie

WoodJunky
7th May 2011, 09:09 PM
That's a really great looking car!!

Well done

AUSSIE
7th May 2011, 09:26 PM
Hi Lilli & David
You have made a real Classic there that anyone would be very proud off.
Cant wait to see the next one.Great job:2tsup:

scotty60
8th May 2011, 09:23 PM
Great job Guys, keep them coming maybe a WIP would be great.

LiliB
9th May 2011, 05:17 PM
Hi everyone

Thanks for the lovely feedback. My email doesn't seem to be receiving forum messages, so I've only just come onto the web to see what's happening.

Kelrob, we had an obscure plan, plus pictures to finish this job. I have a bit of a database of photos of old motor cars to help with authenticity. This can be problematical because in the 20s and 30s there were so many coachbuilders, and you don't really know what's authentic at times.

The Duesi was lots of work, because of the many embellishments. Don't know what he would do these days without his little toymaker's lathe. He would have a hard time making lights, horns, and wheels without it.

I held that plan back until David's skills improved to the point where some of the challenges this vehicle presented could be solved. Those who've seen his early work like the Fire truck will agree he's come a long way in 2 1/2 years.

I don't really have a chance to do WIP photos because David takes himself quietly off to the workshop between other jobs, and I often don't get to see what he's done, until it's near finished.

David hasn't got much time for computers, so he wouldn't be inclined to put much on the forum, but I think his work is becoming so good, it's a shame not to share it, even if only in its completed form.

Cheers for now
LiliB
:U:U:U

munruben
9th May 2011, 08:17 PM
Excellent work, looks great.:2tsup::2tsup:

olbassy
9th May 2011, 09:27 PM
Lili and David....
Great to see an excellent team effort.....you are indeed a crafstman David!
(Hope your now not going to do a new Jaguar or Rolls Royce Limo scale model.....looks like they both have Volkswagen and BMW grills and headlights in the wedding last week......and I'd think that would be a waste of good wood)!.........

LiliB
12th May 2011, 04:02 PM
Ah Olbassy, it isn't surprising that the Jags and Daimlers look Germanic. After all Rolls Royce is owned by BMW whilst Daimler belongs to Volkswagen (along with most of the other car marques in the free world, it seems!!) Mind you, the latest BMW power plant in the Rolls is a mighty invention, smooth as silk and blindingly powerful. Carts the big monster from 0-100 in 5.3 seconds.

We're not into the newer stuff. You can't, conveniently, get plans, and I'm not clever enough to use computer technology to produce plans. David has some technical drawing experience, but not such that we could scale a real life vehicle.

I'd love to get my hands on plans of some classic English stuff - Austins, MGs, Sunbeam Alpine would be nice, etc.They just don't seem to exist. There's lots of American vintage stuff, but not much from elsewhere.

Ah well, we've got plenty of plans to keep him busy, and no doubt, they will be added to as time goes on.

Will try to do a WIP at some time in the future.

Yonnee
19th May 2011, 09:55 PM
Love David's work. A level of detail and craftmenship that some day I will aspire to achieve.