PDA

View Full Version : Wooden (cedar) sheds in Perth?

woodentop
11th May 2011, 07:05 PM
Hi Folks,

I've been looking around the web trying to source a supplier for wooden sheds in Perth (WA) but haven't really found anything. Have located suppliers over east but hate to spend money elsewhere plus shipping if I can get away with it.

On a different line is there a reason for the (apparent) lack of suppliers? Are our termites tougher over here or somesuch?

Additionally any pointers towards shed plans and or suppliers of cedar near Perth welcome please.

One of the reasons I want a wooden shed is aesthetics, the other is land availability in my backyard; looking for something in approx 6 x 3m size.

Thanks in advance,

woodentop

BobL
11th May 2011, 07:32 PM
Welcome to WWF wooden top.

Yeah our termites are pretty bad. Where are you in WA? Some places are notorious for termites. Even in inner city Perth they play havoc with wooden structures. Most of the wooden buildings still standing in the metro area are only doing so because have toxic levels of pesticide in them or are made from treated timbers of some kind. I didn't even consider wood for my new shed where we live south of the river. The other reason I went for all steel in my new shed is that I want to do metal work so one half is even lined on the inside with metal. My plan is to partially hide the old and new sheds with vegetation which SWMBO is happy enough with the idea of.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f245/161257d1297592450-shed-builders-recommendation-perth-whoshedcomplete2.jpg

If you are determined to have a wooden shed, if you ask any decent shed manufacturer I'm sure they will do it for you in whatever you ask them but you may not get a warranty on the wooden bits unless they are treated.

One alternative is a steel frame with wooden cladding. Bare weather boards are not very weather proof in the long run as they warp with age so you should consider insulating/sealing and then lining.

woodentop
11th May 2011, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the reply Bob,

I'm in Safety Bay about 300m back from the beach. Some locals say that you won't get termites here but I've had them chewing on chipboard in my existing colourbond shed.

I understood that cedar (and maybe oregon) were naturally repellent to termites?

Having said all that I'm quite happy to have something treated given the number of other things that I've been exposed to!

It was my intention also to mount on brick piers / steel posts and apprpriately treat/guard and install a wooden subfloor as I believe it would be significantly cheaper than a similar sized concrete slab.soldering

Just had a thought, maybe Hardiplank over a steel frame could achieve the same (similar) effect.

Anyhow thanks for your reply,

woodentop

Anyhow thanks for the feedback.

Heggs
12th May 2011, 11:15 AM
I had one built out of treated pine from smart timbers, i live in the hills and have problems with termites in the area but with the modern sprays done on a regular basis you should have no problems. my house is cedar built in mid 80's only had issues once just after we bought the house several years back ( the previous owners didnt do maintenance) all checked yearly now never had a problem since.

here is a pic of my shed under construction

Sawdust Maker
12th May 2011, 01:15 PM
Oregon is not termite resistant

I'd go steel then you don't have to worry about it

beer is good
12th May 2011, 02:33 PM
Hi Woodentop,
There is a product which I thought was made by CSR. It's called Weathertex and is made from wood. It is like a waterproof and termite proof MDF and it comes in a few different weather board profiles. I used it about 20 years ago on the back of the house and there have been no problems. Easy to work with.

Weathertex Products - Timber made perfect (http://www.weathertex.com.au/products.php)

It is not a timber look like cedar but can be painted easily.