PDA

View Full Version : Form over function

bellyup
15th May 2011, 01:33 PM
G'day all,
I thought I would share some of my experiments where form takes precedent over function - nothing too serious - just trying new shapes and different timbers. Excuse the dodgey photos.

I was going to re-lop the peppergrinder (Osama bin Laden Ltd. Edition Redgum grinder) off at the cove but after I made the mark it seemed to balace it out more. Shellawaxed 300mmh x 70mmw.

The Cooba bowl was cut green and dried in the microwave oven for 2 minutes at a time until it didn't feel damp, left for 2 hours and finished to 800grit and Shellawaxed. No warping or cracking .90mm h x130cm w.

I wanted an excuse to use some Purple Wood Wattle - Acacia carneii I have stashed, also to try a hollow form vase (my first vase). Don't know if it's cheating but I turned the bottom off and went up that way then re-attached base. Loved the colour contrast between the Jacaranda and the P.W.W until I put a finish on the timber (Trad. wax) and it started turning black. It did so with all the finishes I tried, don't know why? Finished in Trad wax, PWW lip in Shellawax. 190mm h x 130mm w

The last is a Cindy Droza inspired dust collector from some Euc. burl I found (amazing what you can find when you have a chainsaw ) on the Snowwy river last trout trip with the finial and stem from local Black Oak. Shellawax 160mm h x 130mm w.

Please feel free to critique and comment.
Bruce

Rhys_holland
15th May 2011, 01:43 PM
amazing work there love the bowl

Ed Reiss
15th May 2011, 06:57 PM
Bruce, there's always more than one way to skin a cat, so it's perfectly OK to hollow out the piece from the bottom...I do believe that Peter Oliver is a proponent of that method.

As for the bit of tear out on the bottom end grain, that can be easily cleaned up by applying some oil to the area (mineral, veggie, whatever - doesn't matter), then take light, light cuts with a freshly applied burr to your round nose scraper. Hold the scraper at a 30 - 45% angle (shear scrapping).

Good work on all the pieces :2tsup:

...think a more blunt tip on the OBL grinder might have hurt the bastard more upon insertion :o:U (thank God he's gone!!!)

artme
15th May 2011, 07:56 PM
I really like what I see!! Great turning and great finishing!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Scott
15th May 2011, 09:32 PM
I've been trawling the net for images on 'form' and different design today and these examples are up there with the best, in my opinion. Love the pepper grinder, very simple and effective.

Michael Spain
16th May 2011, 07:44 AM
Hi Bruce, a few excellent works, very good election of the wood and very harmonious forms, finished very good, real work of an artist of the wood:o, greetings from Tenerife.:2tsup:

TTIT
16th May 2011, 10:21 AM
Ah the joys of having great (desert) timbers to work with :U - very nice work Bruce :2tsup:

Paul39
19th May 2011, 02:22 AM
Nice shapes and finish. I really like them.

I have read that sanding to finish, applying a cellulose sanding sealer, lightly sanding and apply finish of your choice; prevents the end grain from absorbing and darkening.

I recently had a piece of walnut stump / root go very dark because I didn't do that.

See below for the piece, lightened by the computer so you can see the figure.

bellyup
19th May 2011, 11:53 AM
Thanks for all your kind words.
Paul - I did put a sanding sealer on first- don't think it was cellulose sealer though - the blackness appeared between the growth rings and cracks. It is the first piece of Jacaranda I have used so no real experience with the stuff.
Regards,
Bruce.