PDA

View Full Version : Freemulsion endgrain sealer

maņana
15th May 2011, 09:40 PM
I have an unused 20 litre container of Freemulsion endgrain sealer (also called cerawax or similar), which I purchased about 1994 and had not used.( I'll use it maņana)<!-- google_ad_section_end --> When I opened it recently, I found it had lost it's liquid consistency and was more like a bucket of copha or butter. Would any of you knowledgable Forumites be able to help me with what I need to thin it with to make it able to be brushed on. Water or turps maybe? Any suggestions.
Cheers
Mick (http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/34145-manana/) C.

Toymaker Len
16th May 2011, 12:38 AM
Is it like that all the way through ? It could be that it has just settled or changed because of temperature change. I'd give it a try with a paint mixer in a big drill and see if you can stir it up and re-liquify it. If it is anything like the stuff I use it is a wax and water emulsion so it might take more water but you would have to be able to blend it somehow.

joe greiner
16th May 2011, 06:21 AM
Emulsions are, by definition, mixtures of liquids that don't like each other very much. Vigorous shaking and/or stirring persuades them to temporarily cooperate. Mayonnaise and ketchup behave the same way.

Shake it for a while, and it will become liquid again. I do that with my AnchorSeal (a similar product).

I'd save dilution with water (not turps) as a last resort.

Google [thixotropic] for more info.

After you've made it liquid, decant some of it into smaller jugs. Shake them too, to bring them back to life when needed.

Cheers,
Joe

maņana
16th May 2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks for your replies fellers
Mick C.