PDA

View Full Version : Big lathe faceplate made.

aametalmaster
16th May 2011, 02:19 PM
I hope i am not boring you guys with my lathe projects LOL. Here is a big lathe faceplate i made from a giant chunk of cast iron. I drilled a 5/8" hole thru the center in my drill press to use it on a special made arbor for my lathe. Then i turned it round and turned a nose to grab it in my chuck. Then bored and threaded it to fit my spindle. Then turned to suit and then drilled some holes with my cross slide hole driller. Then some sun baked on enamel paint...Bob

Stustoys
16th May 2011, 02:40 PM
Not boring me Bob
Few questions (as almost always it seems)
Whats the final Dia?
Any thought about max rpm?(although I doubt this would be a problem often on faceplate work)
Does your lathe need the cut out in the back of the plate for clearance of the bolt heads? or did you do that to make it a little lighter?
Did you consider tapping the faceplate?
On top of that, great work,
Stuart

aametalmaster
16th May 2011, 02:53 PM
Not boring me Bob
Few questions (as almost always it seems)
Whats the final Dia?
Any thought about max rpm?(although I doubt this would be a problem often on faceplate work)
Does your lathe need the cut out in the back of the plate for clearance of the bolt heads? or did you do that to make it a little lighter?
Did you consider tapping the faceplate?
On top of that, great work,
Stuart
Its just over 9 inches in dia.
Don't really know about the speed since most of what i do with it my lathe runs in backgear.
I just wanted to make it thinner don't think there was a clearance problem that i can remember.
Yes i did consider tapping but i didn't. Figured i would just use bolts...Bob

Anorak Bob
16th May 2011, 02:56 PM
My worrying about the correct chuck size just evaporated!:o

Dave J
16th May 2011, 03:29 PM
LOL, thats what I was saying in the other thread about jobs being that heavy.

Bob, your not boring me either, and it's good to see we are getting US guys on here posting with their ideas.
That face plate came out great :2tsup: When starting from something solid like that it gives you a lot of pride in the end result.

Dave

Stustoys
16th May 2011, 03:50 PM
Thanks AABob,
I might have to have a look through the off cuts down the road.
I just noticed you went with a multiple of three and four for the two outside hole patterns :) another good reason to make your own.

Stuart