PDA

View Full Version : Waldown tool post grinder

Stustoys
16th May 2011, 07:20 PM
Maybe BT doesnt have one of these?
Its a little on the big side for my lathe, but I think I can make it work.
I've never seen one like it and can't find any info on them. Has anyone seen a tool post grinder with a slide on it? Best estimate of the angle is 12 degree off vertical.
Thanks to Ray for the tip :2tsup:
Stuart

RayG
16th May 2011, 09:03 PM
Hi Stuart,

Nice pick up, I think Bob has a Dumore, a bit smaller maybe. But Alan (C-47) has a Waldown.

So this is what it should look like when cleaned up..:rolleyes:

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k139/Alan_045/TP%20Grinder/TPgrinder1.jpg
That's a picture of C-47's Waldown.

Not being familiar with TPG's Is it normal, to NOT have guarding on the wheel?

I notice yours has a guard.

Regards
Ray

aametalmaster
16th May 2011, 09:16 PM
I have the South Bend version tool post grinder. It looks similar to yours. From what i have read the only difference in the models is the thickness of the spacer under the grinder to get the correct lathe centerline...Bob

C-47
16th May 2011, 09:59 PM
Stuart,
According to the Waldown Product Manual that came with my unit yours is listed as a C-3 model for lathes with 600mm + swing. If you need a scan of the parts listing I can try, however the quality is not great. Alan.

Stustoys
16th May 2011, 10:22 PM
AABob,
Mine has a vertical slide, so center height should be easy fixed. Does yours have a slide?

Stuart,
According to the Waldown Product Manual that came with my unit yours is listed as a C-3 model for lathes with 600mm + swing. If you need a scan of the parts listing I can try, however the quality is not great. Alan.
Alan,
So it is a "little" on the large side then lol Anything aboout what the vertical slide is needed for?(I'm guessing it could be used for very fine feeds)
Yes please, as far as quality goes I have nothing ATM, so anything will be an improvement. I did find one page online that said Brobo own Waldown now and had sent a manual when asked. I'm going to try them if I can get their webpage to load properly.

Thanks guys

Stuart

aametalmaster
16th May 2011, 10:27 PM
AABob,
Mine has a vertical slide, so center height should be easy fixed. Does yours have a slide?

Thanks guys

Stuart
I missed that part when i first replied. No mine uses thick spacers. The slide is great for lining it up perfect...Bob

Anorak Bob
16th May 2011, 10:56 PM
Stuart,

Mine is a Dumore 44. Smaller than Alan's Waldown and would be dwarfed by your machine. I saw one like your's at Bill's Machinery over here. From memory, it had a one horse 3 phase motor. Looked like something you'd use to drive a cement mixer !

I haven't yet got the hang of mine. I might have to lean on Alan for a few lessons.

I'd been told by a bloke at Hughan's Saw Service, WA agents for Brobo, that production of TPGs had ceased a few years ago. I might be able to find a brochure showing their range of grinders including the TPGs.

BT

Dave J
16th May 2011, 10:58 PM
I didn't realise it was on a angle in the email photo.
I hope someone sheds some light on this as I would be interested in knowing what the slide is for.
John Stevenson or Forrest Addy have been in the game a long time, it might be worth asking either one of them?

Dave

Dave J
16th May 2011, 11:01 PM
If the slide was for height adjustment, you would think it would be vertical not angled.

Dave

Anorak Bob
16th May 2011, 11:29 PM
A few photos.

Stustoys
16th May 2011, 11:38 PM
If the slide was for height adjustment, you would think it would be vertical not angled.

Dave
Thats why I was thinking feed. But the amount of feed would vari with height above/below center, wheel Dia and work Dia. So it would be more "guess work" than "feed".

Stuart

Stustoys
16th May 2011, 11:50 PM
Well there it is. hieght it is
AAbob has sent me some scans that show a flat belt, mine has a Vee belt.

Thanks for the Scans BT.

I'm having a little trouble keeping up tonight.

Now I just have to pick up an internal spindle kit lol

Stuart

Stustoys
17th May 2011, 11:11 AM
After taking some measuremetns this morning it looks like my grinder is the C2. It has a 0.75hp motor and a single vee belt, so its a little different from BT's scans.

Thanks guys

Stuart

azzrock
18th May 2011, 01:16 AM
im not shore if grinders and lathes should go together.
i thought they would be handy and ive been thinking about
one but that first photo reminds me i don't think they should
even be in the same room together.all that abrasive dust covering the lathe and the
lathe vibration effecting the grinder.
on the other hand i suppose a tool post grinder wouldn't throw out that much sparks ect.

A few photos.

Anorak Bob
18th May 2011, 01:24 AM
Aaron,

The wheel dust goes everywhere. Dressing the wheel creates the most dust. Every thing needs to be covered. I have found a $1.50 plastic drop sheet works well.

BT

Stustoys
18th May 2011, 01:43 AM
I must say it doesn't fill me with joy either, but I don't have a cylindrical grinder. I'm trying to decide if coolant would make things better or worse? I do have a pretty good vac with cyclone separator.

It may get used on the shaper or the mill.

Now I need to pick a lub for the slide...... ideas? It seems to have been greased.
Guess I should wait and see what brobo come up with.

The spindle feels good. I wonder if making an internal one if beyond me?

Stuart

Dave J
18th May 2011, 01:48 AM
I must say it doesn't fill me with joy either, but I don't have a cylindrical grinder. I'm trying to decide if coolant would make things better or worse? I do have a pretty good vac with cyclone separator.

It may get used on the shaper or the mill.

Now I need to pick a lub for the slide...... ideas? It seems to have been greased.
Guess I should wait and see what brobo come up with.

The spindle feels good. I wonder if making an internal one if beyond me?

Stuart

You will need to start with a couple of good angular contact bearings.

Dave

azzrock
18th May 2011, 01:52 AM
a simple solution hay. sounds good

Anorak Bob
18th May 2011, 09:14 AM
Stuart,

In the case of the smaller Dumores, internal grinding is acheived by means of a simple screw on spindle attachment. The larger models have more substantial arrangements. The quills are removable. They offer dedicated interal grinding quills along with ones that are socket type. The latter accepting a range of screw-in spindle inserts.

I can snap a few photos of the fittings I have for my grinder if you are interested.

Bob.

Anorak Bob
18th May 2011, 12:36 PM
Stuart,

I scanned a few pages from an old catalogue for you to illustrate what I was talking about.

BT

Stustoys
18th May 2011, 12:48 PM
Sorry Bob,
I was planning on getting back to you once I had be able to get out into the shen and have a look at the spindle nose. I'm not sure it would lend itself to having a shaft added, but its 11:45 and I havent made it to the shed yet! lol
Stuart

Stustoys
19th May 2011, 05:52 PM
Sorry to take to long Bob,
I'd been thinking there was no way to repeatably(?) mount a spindle to my grinder, but I don't need repeatability. Within reason, dressing will fix that problem, I'd have to keep the spindles pretty short. The longer internal spindles in your scans seem to go back through the first bearing. I'll happily look at anything else you have.
Thank you.

The guard on my grinder isn't reversible :(

Stuart

Stustoys
19th May 2011, 05:54 PM
Dave,
Wouldn't deep grooves do? There won't be much thrust(or will there?). Having said that I have no idea if there is any difference in price anyway. I guess angular contact would make preload adjustment less touchy. I'll have a look in my book :)

Stuart

Dave J
19th May 2011, 11:45 PM
Because the internal spindle spins so fast you want precision bearings. If you look on ebay there are always some old stock US made ones for good prices.
I have read of a few guys using the VXB ones and having good results.

Dave

4-6-4
20th May 2011, 01:16 AM
I agree with the thought that lathes ans grinders don't mix. Having said that I have just bought a Waldown. I will photo it on Sat and post. Mine is still in its box. A handy beast if you don't have access to a real Grinder. but all the slides would have to be protected. Dressing the wheel would be the dirtiest bit. do they do internal as well as external. I have been in the trade for 45 years and have never seen one at work. I have seen a belt linisher at work on long hydrolic piston rods. seemed to work OK But but then at this place I worked a Hone that had to take mills out of hydrolic cylinders 12 inches in Dia upwards of 5 meters long on a machine with only 3 1/2 stroke. Work that one out. 4-6-4

Dave J
20th May 2011, 01:50 AM
They will do external and internal, all the ones I have seen usually have a separate spindle cartridge that you change over for internal grinding. Bob posted about his having an attachment that goes on the end of the external one.

Dave