PDA

View Full Version : Computer geek getting the urge

ole1
16th May 2011, 08:54 PM
Evening all,

Nice looking site! Stumbled across it during a random Google search.

I'm a long-time computer geek who has recently developed the itch to get back into woodworking. Not that I was ever an expert at it ;)

I'm spending too much of my life in front of a computer - having worked with and administered high-end servers and secure networks, to my current day job as a Technical Writer, computers are consuming too much time with which I could be a lot more creative.

Due to this, and growing up around my carpenter Grandfather, high-school woodwork, and the occasional building project with my brother, I have gotten the itch to get cutting again which feels like a real calling to me.

With a basic garage workshop, I have started to make simple furniture for the missus and toys for the nephews/nieces who are suddenly turning up everywhere..

A bigger project on the cards is an old-school arcade machine cabinet (with MAME emulation).

Anyway, I look forward to learning a lot along the way and keeping all of my appendages.. Greetings to all. :2tsup:

q9
16th May 2011, 09:30 PM
Howdy!

It is hard to get excited about working with computers and stuff, I know only too well. At least it affords me the luxury of a workshop!

Heaps on here to get you started. Enjoy!

q9
16th May 2011, 09:31 PM
PS the Woodworking Show is on this week...

RufflyRustic
16th May 2011, 09:44 PM
From one computer geek to another, Welcome!:D There is not much that beats building something that will last when your work 'disappears' when the computer is turned off.

cheers
Wendy

andrewr79
16th May 2011, 10:04 PM
A bigger project on the cards is an old-school arcade machine cabinet (with MAME emulation).

Welcome. Your story sounds a lot like mine, I'm a former sysadmin turned codemonkey!

It's a great bunch here. I for one look forward to seeing the arcade machine built - should be cool :)

Christos
16th May 2011, 10:14 PM
I am not sure why I looked at this thread but could have been drawn to it.

Welcome to the forum.

Yes I work in the computer field.

Christos
16th May 2011, 10:15 PM
I know why,

It was the heading. :hpydans2:

RufflyRustic
16th May 2011, 10:40 PM
:rotfl: Me too, Christos :D

BamBam53
17th May 2011, 11:48 AM
Welcome,

You are not the only geek that has stumbled across this site. Doing things with wood gives me a sanity break after working with computers and the users on the end of them all day.

Enjoy your time here.

Christos
17th May 2011, 12:01 PM
This is getting scary, so far only computer persons welcoming.

tea lady
17th May 2011, 12:28 PM
I'm not! :D

pellcorp
17th May 2011, 01:52 PM
Welcome from a coder too :-) my avatar is a clue to what field! ;-)

pellcorp
17th May 2011, 01:55 PM
Howdy!

It is hard to get excited about working with computers and stuff, I know only too well. At least it affords me the luxury of a workshop!

Heaps on here to get you started. Enjoy!

You are not a real geek if you don't get excited about computers as well as tools! Both are awesome fun !

Grommett
17th May 2011, 01:57 PM
Perhaps there is a sub forum here ge.geks and wood.com:D

Any way welcome to the forum and enjoy. Perhaps you could have a virtual shed? :rolleyes:

opelblues
17th May 2011, 02:37 PM
Im Not, im a Ex Boilermaker - turned truck driver - installer servicing, woodworker with any time left and father of one Young Red Hair Lady. and i build systems units not so much software these days !!!!!:no: