PDA

View Full Version : My Shed

Pages : [1] 2

danny.s
17th May 2011, 01:33 AM
Hi Everyone

I thought I might start a thread for my new shed. I can't tell you how excited I am to get this started. I have spent the last 12 years working on the house and am finally in a position to get my shed. I grew up with a carpenter father and an awesome workshop where I learnt how to use tools and to hurt myself (terribly clumsy!!). I now have 2 boys of my own who are 12 and 13 and it's time to get myself a great place for me and them to play and learn the wonder of working with wood.

Here's the plan. A 7m x 9m colourbond shed with 2 roller doors. I built a carport a few years ago so there is no need for silly cars taking up any space. I am also building a 6 x 3 garden shed out the back so all the garden stuff and ride-on mower can go in there. I have a third and original shed way out the back where I put all my crap, so I'm thinking the new shed can stay fairly clutter free. My beautiful and understanding wife will be happy for me to get the table saw out of the rumpus room (I wish I was kidding).

My plan is to put a bench along one wall with a recess for the dropsaw. This will probably be a 3.6 by 0.9 bench. I will also have a 2.4 x 1.2 island bench with the Makita table saw built in to one end. If you are looking for a thread with beautiful solid timber 100mm thick benchtops like Groggy and Teakman you are in the wrong place. I will be using fancy stuff like pine and MDF for mine. One day when I feel I am ready and worthy I will build myself a real bench.

I have an old large gas tank which I plan to convert to a wood fire and an old PC which will become my media player and my link to this forum in the shed. Will run an ethernet cable to the shed. Nothing quite like building to the sweet sounds of Pink Floyd.

Most of the shed will be dedicated to a training area for the boys and I. We do Karate and having a big area with mats and kick bags will encourage us to train more often.

The wife is starting to get concerned that I may never again enter the house! I turned 40 recently so this is my midlife crisis - better then a convertible and a 22 year old I suppose!

Here is the before shot (hope this works)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150179312926906&set=a.173598491905.131215.657461905&type=1&theater

Step 1. Town Planning Permit. In my town you need a planning permit to put the bins out so this part is essential.

Anyway I hope you check in every now and then to see my progress. I would love to get some advice along the way. No doubt I will make some stupid mistake as always but will have a great journey with this project.

Thanks for reading
Danny

Pat
17th May 2011, 05:38 AM
Danny, dont worry about what your bench's are made from, as long as they are solid. I have 7 benches over 2 sheds. 1 is the traditional heavy weight, thick thumper. Made from 4x4 Tallowwood. 2 are pinus crapiarta, 2 are from whatever left over scraps. These are smaller benches for the DP, linisher etc. 2 are refugees from mates, who had to down size and the benches were under threat of being broken down for firewood.

I will mention that your proposed shed will be to small after a while . . .

banjoping
17th May 2011, 03:25 PM
Depending on where you are you may have issues with the Council.

If you are zoned R15, as most residential land is these days you have a combined outbuilding limit of 60m square under the Residential Design Codes. That is, they will add up all the sheds.

There is some leniency within the Code to vary this out to a max of 10% of the block (ie 803m square block = 80m square shed) , beyond that you may have problems.

Of course ignore this if you are zoned rural, special rural etc.

Waldo
17th May 2011, 03:39 PM
[QUOTE=danny.s;1318293Nothing quite like building to the sweet sounds of Pink Floyd.[/QUOTE]

:2tsup:

And depending what you are doing e.g hand tools or electron burning fire and brimstone noise you have a great choice of said music to play. :cool:

danny.s
17th May 2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks for your comments folks.

I don't anticipate council issues with the Shed size. I'm on 3700sqms which I think is semi-rural (Cockatoo, Vic) and this will go though before the smaller shed goes up. My main issue is that we are not supposed to build closer than 4m from our boundary and I want this about 2m from the fence. Neighbour is completely fine but we will see how we go. It's also outside the building envelope for the block so I'm going to call it a garden shed to see if that helps.

Danny

BobL
17th May 2011, 04:43 PM
Sounds like a decent sort of a plan. Good Luck - I hope it goes well.

Grommett
17th May 2011, 07:27 PM
Sounds like a great project. I am envious already of your large (shortly to be too small "wish I'd made it bigger") shed. Good luck with Council. Look forward to following the WIP.:2tsup:

banjoping
18th May 2011, 12:14 PM
Thanks for your comments folks.

I don't anticipate council issues with the Shed size. I'm on 3700sqms which I think is semi-rural (Cockatoo, Vic) and this will go though before the smaller shed goes up. My main issue is that we are not supposed to build closer than 4m from our boundary and I want this about 2m from the fence. Neighbour is completely fine but we will see how we go. It's also outside the building envelope for the block so I'm going to call it a garden shed to see if that helps.

Danny

Within the Residential Design Codes (RDC) there is delegation to allow people to be in conflict with the codes if they go through an Application called a "Codes Variation", which is basically a process through which your neighbours consent to you doing whatever is outside the codes (over height, over size, in breach of normal set backs.) Basically just the Shire covering its a- r s -e over a decision.

However, the RDC does not apply to you as you are not zoned residential. You will have to talk to the Planning Department at your shire and see what lenience they may apply to the Town Planning Scheme in regards to your set back. Set backs can be one of the areas that they are pretty strict on in non residential settings.

danny.s
29th May 2011, 12:05 AM
Hi All

Sending Town Planning application in this week. Main concern for me is the fact that this is being built outside the building envelope. The building envelope takes up the back 30 meters of my 85m long block and 4 meters in from the sides. This shed will be in front of the house, outside this envelope.

I have to assume that the council will have record of this envelope and consider it a restrictive covenant. I spoke with a surprisingly helpful Town Planning officer during the week but didn't mention the envelope issue. She suggested that calling it a "Storage Shed" and getting a written OK from my neighbour would be very helpful to my case.

Anyone had similar issues with sheds outside nominated building envelopes? For what it's worth neither of my neighbours have similar setbacks. One side the house is only set back 15 meters and the other has a shed that existed before the subdivision that is at a similar setback to my proposal.

Danny.S.

BobR
29th May 2011, 10:27 AM
Hi Danny, look forward to following the progress of your shed. However, it is not too late to reconsider the convertable and 22 year old.

Boringgeoff
29th May 2011, 10:46 AM
HI Danny, when I first moved into my new shed 4 years ago, along with 2 steel

benches I brought with me, I made a temporary bench from a door sitting on two 44

gallon drums. I am "gunna" make a solid timber bench one of these days, in the

mean time.... hmmmm

wun4us
29th May 2011, 11:12 AM
Hi Danny. Sounds good, particularly getting your boys in with you. I only managed to get one (the other joined RAN as apprentice like I did) to remain with me as an apprentice jack of all trades and master of none.:)

Doen't matter how big the shed is/isn't it will never be big enough. SWAMBO has already earmarked "stuff" from the house that (in her words) " aren't mine, they must be yours" so will be transported to MY shed (one mighty big garage sale coming up I think:D). My (and hers) office is in the process of being packed in to boxes etc to be transported ASP to the new location.:((

She doesn't know it yet:rolleyes:but I have commandeered a part of the car garage (its a double with one side extended in length) for the ofice, otherwise the computers will get ruined:C

Gotta watch these women mate!

Will keep watching your progress.:D

BTW the link http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150179312926906&set=a.173598491905.131215.657461905&type=1&theater) still doen't work. Try uploading from your computer through the facility at the bottom of the page.

Cheers

wun4us
29th May 2011, 11:27 AM
Hi Danny, look forward to following the progress of your shed. However, it is not too late to reconsider the convertable and 22 year old.

Convertible, yes:D:2tsup:

22 year old? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:doh::oo::oo::youcrazy::youcrazy:

BobR
29th May 2011, 01:02 PM
wun4us, at times one get ambitions and capabilities mixed up :rolleyes:

wun4us
29th May 2011, 03:22 PM
wun4us, at times one get ambitions and capabilities mixed up :rolleyes:

Keep the ambitions and the capabilities will come to you....no hurry LIFE'S AHEAD OF YOU MATE.:U

"Do not fear mistakes. You will know failure. Continue to reach out. "

Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

BobR
29th May 2011, 04:55 PM
wun4us - It's all about time. I am nearly as old as you.

wun4us
29th May 2011, 07:39 PM
You are only as old as ou feel Bob.

Yesterday I felt like I was 30 or 40 again, got out the crowbar, mattock and shovel (long handled for ease of course), and thought that I would do a bit on the small retaining wall at the back of MY shed (as distinct from HERS:().

Three hours later, 14 wheelbarrows of good old Oz topsoil, 4 inches thick, and beautiful clay for the next foot or so. I must add that in this time I did sit down for a couple of minutes after each barrow load (out of view of SWAMBO:cool:).

After the 3 hours I decided to call it a day and sat down on my little stool in the small space I have in the garage to do some drawings on some toys for the small grandkids for Christmas. I had 20 minutes in peace, then "can you come and cut these rose bushes for me?. Your wish is my command says I, tried to stand up, but the back suddenly informed me that I wasn't 30 or 40.

Nonetheless, despite my protestations, the rose bushes got pruned as ordered.

Today, I have been allowed to rest. At least until mid afternoon when I usually make my weekend pallet run (I do at least another during the week also:B). Some quite good wood comes out of them, very useful for many things. Apart from some meranti, mountain ash, a little cedar and select DAR pine from the local timber merchant, my entire stock of wood is of the genus palliatis variata.:D:D

danny.s
29th May 2011, 09:15 PM
R: the 22 Year old.

I have always told my wife there is simply no chance of me hooking up with another woman. One is hard enough to manage - why on earth would I sign up for two??

Danny

danny.s
29th May 2011, 09:27 PM
OK, finally worked out how to attach photos (I think)

Here is the before shot. Shed will be going to the left of this picture along the boundary.

Danny

wun4us
30th May 2011, 12:01 AM
A great aspect Danny. Any likelihood of some timber ready for you in the background?:rolleyes:

Grommett
31st May 2011, 07:57 PM
Terrific outlook, you should end up with a great place to work (or play :D)

Sawdust Maker
1st June 2011, 09:36 AM
Nice spot you've got there

good luck with council

danny.s
1st June 2011, 10:27 AM
Photo is a little old so the Willow and the Chestnut trees are now gone. I feel bad that I never appreciated the trees that have come down on my property. I (or nature) have dropped Blackwoods, Gums, Willows, Chestnuts and BIG wattles and have cut and split the whole lot for firewood. The good burning stuff I have kept and the crap I have put out for anyone who want's it. I now have about 10 years worth of split firewood.

Then I start reading this forum and realise what I have wasted. I remember splitting the wattle in particular and noting the lovely colours through the wood but just kept on splitting.

Don't be too hard on me! I was young and I didn't know any better.:C

I think I will pull some out and see if I can make a small box or something out of it and see what happens. Would be great to have something nice in the house that actually came from the property.

Danny

Grommett
1st June 2011, 07:56 PM
Believe me the wood heap is a great resource for turners. You pull out a bit for the fire, think, and put at aside:D

wun4us
11th June 2011, 10:57 PM
So how's the new facility progressing Danny? No probs with the council?:(

danny.s
17th June 2011, 04:29 PM
Hi wun4us

Still nothing happening. Ended up getting distracted with work and only put in town planning application last week sometime. Probably 8 weeks before I get word from the Council. I discussed the "outside the building envelope" issue and the town planning officer didn't seem to think it would be an issue if the neighbours agreed - which they should.

Of course this is the same town planning officer who looked up my address and told me I didn't need a permit - until I showed her that she was looking at a block in Bulleen, not Cockatoo! Bulleen is about 60kms and a million dollars from here.

I have been spending my time thinking about lighting and power and insulation and benches and storage and roller doors and lan connection and alarm systems and concrete and plumbing and drainage and music and my table saw and my drop saw and my compressor and drawers and floor cushioning and windows and heating and cooling and.............

wun4us
17th June 2011, 10:43 PM
Hi wun4us

Still nothing happening. Ended up getting distracted with work and only put in town planning application last week sometime. Probably 8 weeks before I get word from the Council. I discussed the "outside the building envelope" issue and the town planning officer didn't seem to think it would be an issue if the neighbours agreed - which they should.

Of course this is the same town planning officer who looked up my address and told me I didn't need a permit - until I showed her that she was looking at a block in Bulleen, not Cockatoo! Bulleen is about 60kms and a million dollars from here.

I have been spending my time thinking about lighting and power and insulation and benches and storage and roller doors and lan connection and alarm systems and concrete and plumbing and drainage and music and my table saw and my drop saw and my compressor and drawers and floor cushioning and windows and heating and cooling and.............

..........perhaps winning Lotto and getting that place in Bulleen?:rolleyes:

Not to worry mate, all good things come to those who wait (or so it's said:(()

Keep thinking about all your goodies; it'll give you morem enjoyment when it all happens:2tsup::2tsup:

danny.s
20th June 2011, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE=wun4us;1334271]..........perhaps winning Lotto and getting that place in Bulleen?:rolleyes:

Nah, not enough room for my shed in Bulleen.

danny.s
19th September 2011, 10:45 PM
Ok, so 4 months since I started this post and 3 months since I submitted my town planning application I have my permit! I decided to move the shed to another part of the block, still out the front but on the high side rather than the low side. This mean a small cut rather than a big fill. Advantage is less concrete for the foundations but now I have nowhere to dump all my left over concrete and rocks from previous projects - off to the tip I go. I'm pretty happy because now I don't have to cut down the lovely Golden Robinia in the previous spot (wasn't looking forward to my mum's reaction next time she visits!!!). Instead I have to drop another tree. Don't know what it is but it's a native of some type and much bigger than the robinia. Will need to deal with getting the rootball out to concrete though. Other advantage is that the storm water can go to my tank, the old site would have made storm water running a bit tough.

About to order the shed from All Space Sheds in Pakenham. Spoke with heaps of shed places and they all seem pretty much the same so going with the bloke my concreter recommended. I've never used this concreter but he seems like a good bloke and he sponsors my boys Footy Club so happy to send the work his way. Happy to hear any last minute recommendations for sheds in the outer eastern suburbs of Melbourne.

I felt guilty for being so slow but then the more I read this forum the more I realize that no one is really in much of a rush around here - just the way I like it. My wife of course would disagree and has had enough of my table saw sitting in the rumpus room.

Will post some photos once things start happening.

Danny

Sawdust Maker
19th September 2011, 11:08 PM
What's wrong with a table saw with a damask tablecloth sitting in the rumpus room :doh:

danny.s
19th September 2011, 11:19 PM
Yeah I know right? It's actually brand new and still in the box, just in case you were imagining it all set up and running in the house. Just a little one. Makita 10", gotta start somewhere. 40th present.

Christos
19th September 2011, 11:51 PM
I felt guilty for being so slow but then the more I read this forum the more I realize that no one is really in much of a rush around here - just the way I like it. My wife of course would disagree and has had enough of my table saw sitting in the rumpus room.

I might agree if you are actually using the saw in the rumpus room. :U

While she is at home. :U

Grommett
20th September 2011, 12:40 PM
What's wrong with a table saw with a damask tablecloth sitting in the rumpus room :doh:
Should be linen.:D

wun4us
20th September 2011, 10:33 PM
:U
I might agree if you are actually using the saw in the rumpus room. :U

While she is at home. :U

Could be quite handy....cut the Sunday roast, fruit cake and other sundry kitchen tasks where a sharp slicer is required:rolleyes::U

Sawdust Maker
20th September 2011, 11:02 PM

Only when guests are around

I was thinking a table saw with its wings on would make a sturdy study desk :D

pjt
21st September 2011, 01:20 AM
Or Gingham:p

vk4
27th September 2011, 01:56 PM
it's difficult to eat off the Table saw with the guard in place:D:D:D:D

Jeff

Sawdust Maker
27th September 2011, 08:28 PM
it's difficult to eat off the Table saw with the guard in place:D:D:D:D

Jeff

Oh I dunno
if you had a high fence it might stop the kids from pinching the chips from your plate :p

Shedblog Au
28th September 2011, 08:30 AM
Oh I dunno
if you had a high fence it might stop the kids from pinching the chips from your plate :p

The threat of losing a finger might prevent the theft of chips :o :wave:

danny.s
14th October 2011, 10:57 PM
Hi everyone

After many months waiting for a planning permit, I ordered my shed and my building permit has now been approved. Shed is about 4 weeks from delivery so I have this time to get the tree down and the slab guys in.

Getting close now.

Danny

Sawdust Maker
14th October 2011, 11:10 PM
Hi everyone

After many months waiting for a planning permit, I ordered my shed and my building permit has now been approved. Shed is about 4 weeks from delivery so I have this time to get the tree down and the slab guys in.

Getting close now.

Danny

:clap::clap:

Shedblog Au
15th October 2011, 09:14 AM
Thats great news!

vk4
15th October 2011, 08:53 PM
remember to keep the timber from the tree for turning:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Lumberjack Rick
21st October 2011, 03:54 PM
As John Williamson said all those years ago in that fantastic song: "Yeah all Australian boys need a shed. A place where he can go, somewhere to clear his head, to think about the things his woman said. Yeah all Australian boys need a shed."

danny.s
25th October 2011, 11:24 PM
Hi everyone

Not too much to update while I wait for the slab to go down. I did however as a result of reading a few posts on this forum decide to add Aircell insulation to the shed. Figured for the $600 odd I will ensure that I don't have those annoying condensation drips an hopefully the shed will be tolerable in the summer. That's what I love about this forum, whatever mistake you are about to make, someone has already been there and written about it.

After 12 years of no workshop I'm a little excited!

Danny

Christos
25th October 2011, 11:41 PM
After 12 years of no workshop I'm a little excited!

Then what have you been using?

danny.s
25th October 2011, 11:47 PM
Nothing.

Got a little shed up the back with no floor and no power. It's packed full of crap and totally useless for doing any work in.

My focus has been on the big stuff. An extension, a carport, two decks, a pool, etc, etc, etc. Never had anywhere to just hang out and work on stuff.

Danny

danny.s
11th November 2011, 09:07 PM
Hi everyone.

I just installed Forum runner on the iPad so thought I would test it out by posting a new "before" photo of my shed. Tree came down last week and stump was ground out today. Concreters will be here next week to do the cut and slab soon after. Shed gets delivered in about 2 weeks.

I've been spending the last few months collecting stuff for the shed. Got a Ryobi grinder stand real cheap from Bunnings who were clearing it. Also been buying little things like cheap shelving and storage bins so I can deck it out. Kitchen is getting renovated at the same time so the budget is screwed - might take a little longer to fit it out.

Anyway, here is the before shot.

Danny

wun4us
11th November 2011, 09:25 PM
Hmmmmmmmm...probably look better when the grass is covered in concrete, and even better when the concrete is covered by a SHED....:cool::2tsup:

danny.s
11th November 2011, 09:27 PM
Damn right! Not the prettiest outlook on that part of the block which makes it the perfect spot for the shed

Sawdust Maker
11th November 2011, 09:31 PM
few turning blanks there :2tsup:

you must be mighty pleased it's started

Ross
12th November 2011, 07:46 AM
Hi everyone.

I just installed Forum runner on the iPad so thought I would test it out by posting a new "before" photo of my shed. Tree came down last week and stump was ground out today. Concreters will be here next week to do the cut and slab soon after. Shed gets delivered in about 2 weeks.

I've been spending the last few months collecting stuff for the shed. Got a Ryobi grinder stand real cheap from Bunnings who were clearing it. Also been buying little things like cheap shelving and storage bins so I can deck it out. Kitchen is getting renovated at the same time so the budget is screwed - might take a little longer to fit it out.

Anyway, here is the before shot.

Danny

Are you recycling the kitchen cupboards into the shed for storage and work tops?

Ross

danny.s
12th November 2011, 09:16 AM
Hi Ross

Nah, the existing kitchen is blackwood and in good condition so it would be worth more to me selling it on eBay and using the cash to build benches and shelves exactly the way I want them.

Danny

wun4us
12th November 2011, 08:12 PM
Hi Ross

Nah, the existing kitchen is blackwood and in good condition so it would be worth more to me selling it on eBay and using the cash to build benches and shelves exactly the way I want them.

Danny

Think though of the look of blackwood in the shed....what could be finer!! Calculate the cost of building new cupboards etc, add the cost of ebays selling fees, and is it still better to sell? Surely you've fallen in love with the look after the years with them; parting with them now would be akin to losing your ???????:C:C:-

danny.s
13th November 2011, 12:52 PM
Yeah but then I don't get to build new cupboards. Groggy would be disappointed if I took the easy way, rather than the more complicated and time consuming way.

danny.s
13th November 2011, 05:05 PM
And the view from the shed looking back across the yard.....

Danny

wun4us
13th November 2011, 11:01 PM
And the view from the shed looking back across the yard.....

Danny

Definitely need a second storey and upstairs verandah on the shed to relax and take in those views while partaking of light refreshment during those hard "work breaks".

:rolleyes::U

danny.s
15th November 2011, 11:42 AM
Shed has arrived!!! Without notice, a week early. Bit annoyed that I wasn't informed of the delivery. Made it hard dealing with the driver over the phone to get it placed in the right spot, but he did well.

Sure it doesn't look like much yet.

Bobcat comes tomorrow for the cut.

Danny

danny.s
15th November 2011, 11:43 AM
And my whole block just turned upside down! Oops

danny.s
15th November 2011, 11:48 AM
try this one....

BamBam53
15th November 2011, 08:28 PM
And my whole block just turned upside down! Oops

Well, you are in the land down under. :rolleyes:

danny.s
15th November 2011, 10:54 PM
Evening everyone

I'm just sitting here listening to the rain pouring down and hoping that it doesn't prevent the cut for the shed going ahead tomorrow. The concreter called me today to say he can prepare the site tomorrow so I'm really hoping it can happen. I know that bobcats and rain don't mix - they just leave an awful mess.

I must say I am very impressed with the delivery driver from Bluescope. As I said in a previous post he called me when he arrived onsite, but I had no warning of the delivery so I couldn't be there to guide him. I have had problems with drivers before who just can't be bothered and just dump the delivery wherever. The worst was Stratco a few years ago. I had 20 2400 x 2100 fence panel kits delivered, while I was at my work Christmas function. He shows up, knocks on the door and tells my wife he can't bring the truck up the driveway, and proceeds to drop the whole delivery on the nature strip - 70 meters from the house. I've had large tippers with dog trailers back up my drive with no problem. You can drive a large tray straight in and turn around. This bloke couldn't even get a medium tray in. I got home at about 11pm, having put away a fair few beers, and had to cut the packs open and walk the entire delivery up to the house. Apparently this was very entertaining to watch.

This bloke yesterday, listened to me on the phone, understood that I needed good access for machinery to get the slab down, drove his truck up onto the grass and placed the packs in the perfect spot where they are not in the way but in easy reach for the installers. I'm very impressed!

Nice to know that there are still people who give a crap and take pride in their work.

Now go away rain!!!!

Danny

pjt
16th November 2011, 08:21 PM
I think you should ring Bluescope and make management aware of the effort the driver went to to do the job as you wanted, for Bluescope it means they have a good employee and you are more likely to go to Bluescope for another shed, when the new one isn't big enough:p

Pete

danny.s
16th November 2011, 10:00 PM
Well the slab is down! I only expected the cut today but they decided to finish the job.

The day wasn't without it's dramas though. I have an uncanny ability to break pipes when digging. I have now undertaken 3 excavations on that side of my front yard. We did a cut for car parking, we dug a big hole to bury a 1 tonne block of concrete and we did this cut today. Believe it or not we have hit and broken the gas main on all of these occasions. Today it was fine for the cut but as soon as the bobcat dug the first hole I heard the familiar hissing noise of gas. Aaahhhhh!!! The problem is that the gas line takes somewhat of a curved path from the house and is no deeper than 300mm. If I ever find the plumber who first ran this I'll punch him in the mouth (figuratively speaking of course). I'm sure that regulations require gas to be down at least 450mm. I just can't believe that in my quite large front yard I manage to find that stupid 10mm yellow pipe every time. With the best hindsight I should have paid a bit more for the guys to dig the corner foundation holes by hand.

But it gets worse. I called the gas company who sent their bloke out to fix it. He proceeds to advise me that I am not allowed to build a structure over a gas line which now runs just under the front of the slab. He then tells me I am going to have to re-route the gas line around the shed, involving about an 11 meter long trench. I convinced him to repair the broken pipe so I can pour the slab. He puts in an invoice for the repair and another one for the modification which he tells me must be completed within the next couple of weeks. Maybe it's just me but I would have thought that the gas line would be safer buried under a big slab of concrete.

The fall on the block was greater than it seemed also so I have a bigger retaining wall to build and the front of the shed is higher than I would have liked. Will need to get a bobcat out after the shed is up to re-sculpture the area in front of the shed to get it looking good.

Today was one of those "live and learn" days

Danny

wun4us
16th November 2011, 10:46 PM
At last!! Movement on the station...........now, its all stops out. Easy does it though, too easy to make small mistakes with all the bits of 'meccano'; just slows down the erecton a bit here and there. Won't know yourself when its up and functional...peace and quiet too:woot:

Christos
17th November 2011, 02:22 AM
Not so good to hear of a mishap. Good to see the slab down.

vk4
17th November 2011, 08:12 AM
leave the slab to cure for a couple of weeks , and give it a hose down regularly , and it will harden properly.(I'm sure you knew this).

While it's curing have the gas line moved :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I had a problem when I was selling my last house, we had it built by a local builder, but the council never issued a certificate of completion, as the plumber had not called them for the plumbing inspection.only lived there for 11 years!!!

Looks like it's a good sized shed??,

I'll bet you are looking forward to having the space for all those projects, that you have been putting off for years:):).

Take your time setting up the inside .

Jeff

danny.s
17th November 2011, 09:43 AM
Hi Jeff

Yeah I know about watering the slab, but I have never really known how often or for how long. What do you reckon?

I am actually not going to erect the shed myself, electing instead to part with some hard earned and watch someone else do it. I have done everything on my house myself for many years and the good wife managed to convince me to just pay someone. I must say I am looking forward to the thought of just coming home from work one day to find it done.

I will take my pride in doing up the inside myself, but this will take time (more through financial limitiations than desire).

Danny

Pat
17th November 2011, 05:38 PM
Danny, when I had my slab done, I watered it every couple of days as it was not punishingly hot. I also paid an experienced shed builder to erect, Builder and offsider, 2 days to lockup, were as I would still be going, some 2 years on:U

That left me the interior, which is still not 100% complete, but when is the shed 100% done:;

I lined the floor with Concrete plastic, then aircell insulation, then 18mm Orange tongue particle board flooring. The walls are lined with 16mm white melamine boards. Bright and clean. The walls and roof also have the Aircell insulation, with the northern and western walls also having R2.5 batts stuffed between the aircell and lining. The difference between the inside and outside temps can be as much as 10° cooler in summer and the 10° warmer in winter. If it is a hot and humid day, you do have to induce airflow, turn on the fans and open the windows.

Enjoy your shed:2tsup:

danny.s
17th November 2011, 07:29 PM
Thats an awesome fit out pat. I love the idea of using aircell under the timber. I have pondered putting a timber floor over the slab to reduce fatigue and provide a more suitable area for barefoot karate training (of which a third of the shed will be dedicated). This might be a longer term goal though.

I have coughed up for aircell for the roof and will address the wall lining at some stage. Thanks for the photos.

Thought I should have a quiet beer in the shed today, you know, just to get into practice.

danny.s
17th November 2011, 07:32 PM
Forgot to mention that I decided to put plastic under the slab after reading a few posts on this forum about rising damp in sheds. May not need it but at $120 I figured it's cheap insurance knowing it simply can't be done later.

Pat
17th November 2011, 08:12 PM
Danny, a beer in your own shed is just one of life's little pleasures!:2tsup:

Christos
18th November 2011, 03:34 AM
I perfer tea. :U

danny.s
18th November 2011, 11:40 AM
For me it's a time of day thing. 6pm last night, well that there was beer time. I do love a cup of tea while I'm working though so I have started drinking tea without milk in preparation for shed time. I don't plan on having a fridge in there anytime soon, and I don't want to come inside every time I want a cup of tea. So I figure if I can go from 2 sugars to none and get used to it I can drop the milk.

Ah sheds, they do require meticulous planning don't they. :)

Danny

Sawdust Maker
18th November 2011, 12:35 PM
Ah sheds, they do require meticulous planning don't they. :)

Danny

Yep and then they end up looking a bit like a pig sty :doh:

danny.s
18th November 2011, 05:25 PM
My shed will stay tidy. My shed will stay tidy. My shed will stay tidy. My shed will stay tidy. My shed will stay tidy. My shed will stay tidy. My shed will stay tidy. My shed will stay tidy. My shed will stay tidy. My shed will stay tidy. My shed will stay tidy. My shed will stay tidy. My shed will stay tidy. I really hope my shed stays tidy.

Waldo
18th November 2011, 07:22 PM
Yeah right. :rotfl:

danny.s
18th November 2011, 08:46 PM
I've got a feeling you might be right Waldo, but I'm staying positive.

Sawdust Maker
20th November 2011, 09:03 PM
My shed will stay tidy. My shed will stay tidy. My shed will stay tidy. My shed will stay tidy. My shed will stay tidy. My shed will stay tidy. My shed will stay tidy. My shed will stay tidy. My shed will stay tidy. My shed will stay tidy. My shed will stay tidy. My shed will stay tidy. My shed will stay tidy. I really hope my shed stays tidy.

:laughing1::harhar::pointlaugh::rofl:
Funniest thing I've heard all week

My shed was tidy up until the day we moved in

In fact looking at the piccy I posted in the 'show us your shed' thread some bits haven't changed for a little while :doh:

vk4
20th November 2011, 09:53 PM
A TIDY SHED IS THE SIGN OF A SICK MIND:wave::mad3::thewave::bat::bat::bat: IN THE BELFRY

Mine's not tidy and I have just renovated , and had the same silly thougtht.

Jeff

danny.s
24th November 2011, 09:48 PM
Evening everyone

I few posts ago I talked about that day, you know the one where I go off to work and come home to find a shed built in my yard. Well my good friends that day turned out to be today! Got a call from the installer at work who advised me that he couldn't complete a roofing job at the top of the mountain because of wind and was wondering if he could start my shed. There is only one answer to that question and below is the result.

Three blokes, five hours. I've had a close look and I'm really impressed. I'm pretty anal when it comes to building stuff which normally results in incredibly slow but generally good quality work when I do it myself. It would have taken me weeks to do what these guys did this afternoon. And they did it well.

So I now have 9m x 7m of sheer awesomeness. AirCell insulation to the roof only, 2 roller doors (one with remote opener) and one access door. Sitting on a 4 inch slab with plastic moisture barrier.

Don't see myself getting much time to work on it before Christmas but next job is to dig a power trench in, plumb the stormwater and then restore the surrounding area to its former glory (gotta keep the good lady happy). After all, she was the one who convinced me to invest in a bigger shed than the 6x6 originally planned.

I haven't been this excited since Santa bought me a Commodore Vic 20 in 1982!!

Danny

Sawdust Maker
24th November 2011, 10:47 PM
Gawd, I'm jealous :~

Jim Carroll
25th November 2011, 09:39 AM
Cool

Always nice to walk around that open space and visualise where things will go :2tsup:

danny.s
25th November 2011, 02:53 PM
Hi Ross

Danny

Hey Ross

Ended up getting $810 on eBay for the old kitchen cabinetry. That should come in handy. Now I just have to remove it tomorrow without breaking it. Turns out I have a nice big empty shed to store it in until the bloke picks it up later this week :)

Danny

wun4us
26th November 2011, 08:26 AM
Space!! ......now to fill it; a task that takes much thought and time, but well spent.

wheelinround
26th November 2011, 09:05 AM
:o Not one window, skylight to be seen :no: must be a Darksider or eats plenty carrots

Solar powered lighting ??

Shed that size Id have a WC/shower, office area

Wont take long bikes, old furniture, dumping stuff happens :;

Soon you'll want a BIGGER shed.:U

coffenup
26th November 2011, 08:57 PM
frame that picture its one of the last times it will be that clean
:D:D:rolleyes:
Regards Michael

Twisted Tenon
26th November 2011, 10:08 PM
Gawd, I'm jealous :~

:whs:

TT

danny.s
27th November 2011, 01:46 AM
Removed the kitchen today. Finished replastering at 1:00am! Few things to do tomorrow. I am really happy to get it out undamaged for its new owner. A serious amount of rain fell on us today so it was nice to have a big clean empty area to put the old kitchen. Gets picked up Tuesday.

Oh yeah, it's also good to finally have somewhere to put those unfinished projects......

Danny

Glen
27th November 2011, 10:45 AM
I have shed envy :D

wun4us
27th November 2011, 10:08 PM
Oh yeah, it's also good to finally have somewhere to put those unfinished projects......

Danny

A new design drafting machine no doubt??:oo:

danny.s
27th November 2011, 11:21 PM
Nah it's my arcade machine. Built it to this stage a few years ago but have never got around to finishing it (not an uncommon situation for me to be in). Just need to add the monitor glass and Galaga bezel in the top section.

danny.s
17th January 2012, 12:47 PM
Hi everyone

Been very quiet on the shed front due to Christmas and the missus having a rather long list of things for me to do. I have started going through all the stuff I've hoarded over the years - the "I'll need that when I get a shed" stuff. When I built my carport I put flooring in the roof so I can store lots of stuff.

I bought down some timber I had collected (sheet flooring offcuts, 25mm MDF offcuts, shelving brackets and shelves, etc, etc). My dad scored most of this for me from office refits etc. This should all come in handy when I build my benches over the next couple of weeks/months.

I did spend some time out in the shed today before the heat while I waited for the family to wake up and whipped up my first small bench. Many years ago I bought a 6 burner BBQ to mount in a brick structure out back. The BBQ came with a trolley which I put into the "might need that one day" category. Forgot I had it until I went up into the roof yesterday. Anyway combine this with a piece of 25mm MDF from my collection and I have my first bench. OK, It's little, but perfect for holding my little scroll saw and my little vice. At 815mm it's a good height for the kids to use the scroll saw.

Anyway not much of an example of quality woodwork but for 30 minutes work and zero dollars its a good start to the shed fit out.

Danny

BobL
17th January 2012, 12:57 PM
Anyway not much of an example of quality woodwork but for 30 minutes work and zero dollars its a good start to the shed fit out.

Unused (A) + Unused (B) = Useful Adaptation

That's an equation I like to see. :2tsup:

pjt
18th January 2012, 12:25 AM
Unused (A) + Unused (B) = Useful Adaptation

That's an equation I like to see. :2tsup:

Yep, one I like to see as well,:2tsup:

Pete

danny.s
21st January 2012, 10:43 PM
Thanks guys. After doing this one I just can't work out what took Groggy so long. :)

danny.s
22nd January 2012, 11:57 PM
Back in the shed this afternoon. Perfect day - 30 outside, nice and sunny with a lovely breeze flowing thought the shed. Glad I put the access door in as this creates a nice cross-breeze.

Got cracking on the main/dropsaw bench. Kept it simple (and cheap). Frame is 90 x 35 MGP10. Benchtops are 25mm MDF (two pieces per bench) which I got for nothing. Bottom shelf is orange tongue flooring offcuts left over from when I floored inside the carport roof. Frame assembled with 75mm gal bugle head screws (I love these things). Top and shelf glued and fixed with a fixing gun. Cost so far $70

Each bench is 2100 x 850. Size was determined by the MDF available, and the size of my 12" SCMS which I plan to sit on a shelf joining the two benches. This shelf will of course be dropped so the dropsaw plate is the same height as the bench. The dropsaw needs heaps of room behind the fence due to its size. I don't need the benches this wide so plan to run shelves along the back of each bench when I get a chance. Currently thinking how to have a fence on each bench that I can remove when not needed.

When I get the tablesaw up and running I hope to make three drawers per bench and mount them under the benchtops.

garageman
25th January 2012, 04:09 PM
great job on those benches btw are those a whole bunch on stanley screwdrivers in the cases in the corner???

danny.s
25th January 2012, 09:38 PM
Hey garageman

Thanks. Yeah 5 sets. I like to keep an eye out for really cheap tools and snapped these up for a stupid price on eBay. My mates will no doubt take a few off my hands.

Danny

garageman
26th January 2012, 12:33 AM
Hey garageman

Thanks. Yeah 5 sets. I like to keep an eye out for really cheap tools and snapped these up for a stupid price on eBay. My mates will no doubt take a few off my hands.

Danny

ohh sweet im always on the lookout for cheap tools some stuff anyway some of the cheaper screwdrivers turned out to be some the best buys ever and some of the lower price stuff outlasts the big name brands

sam