PDA

View Full Version : ER40 Collet Chuck for a lathe.

aametalmaster
17th May 2011, 07:09 AM
He is a little harder project i did. I wanted a lathe collet chuck and checked out lots of them. Then i just bought a set of ER40's off ebay and fitted them to my lathe. I don't have any plans just some pics of how i did mine. You will need a collet body which is a round bar threaded to fit your lathe. Then a tapered bore needs put in the other end for the collet of your choice. Then you need a threaded shoulder to screw on a threaded nut with a little tapered end to match the end of the collet. Then when the nut is screwed tighter the colled squeeze's down on the part. I didn't cut the eccentric ring in the nut ID to release the collet because i can just use an alum bar thru my spindle to give it a bump and knock it loose. Enjoy...Bob

19brendan81
6th June 2011, 02:28 PM
Hey Bob,

Thats a neat job you have done there. this is on my list of things to do at the moment actually. I have an MT3 to ER40 collet chuck that I bent first time I tried to use it. I plan on chopping the taper off the back and using the front half as the basis for my job.

Brendan

neksmerj
6th June 2011, 08:29 PM
Have a geek over in the Hercus forum, there's a parallel thread with more info.

Ken