PDA

View Full Version : Befor sydney wood show catch up?

nz_carver
17th May 2011, 11:23 AM
Rite it's that time of the yr when we have to be good little boys
So we can go to our wood shows in our own states

I was thinking I'll open up my shop to all
Once agen and have a gtg at mine so old mates and new mates can meet once agen

Can be a weekend or week day
You tell me and I'll make it work

Just hope I have bench space :p

Nz_carver

Christos
17th May 2011, 11:58 AM
I am ok with meeting up prior to the Sydney show providing I am not working. Put up a date and I can try and work around that.

wheelinround
17th May 2011, 02:49 PM
Hum thats just 5 weeks to show date.

Bench space :roflmao: more like walking into the Tardis there have been more benches through your door than female companions/offsiders in Dr Who.

Oh Metalwork bench is still mine.:; Somehow its going to happen.:U

turnerted
17th May 2011, 05:05 PM
Just nominate a date and I'll try and make it .
Ted

Pat
17th May 2011, 06:34 PM
Dave, nominate a date. I can make most weekends, but after all the time off, that I have had lately, my boss has chained me to the grindstone.

wheelinround
17th May 2011, 06:59 PM
Dave, nominate a date. I can make most weekends, but after all the time off, that I have had lately, my boss has chained me to the grindstone.

Should mean you have the sharpest tools around then Pat or is that shortest:q

nz_carver
17th May 2011, 07:04 PM
ok hows sunday the 5th?

wheelinround
17th May 2011, 07:06 PM
:no: Mass family birthday weekend for us but if ok for others go ahead.

nz_carver
17th May 2011, 08:21 PM
29th?

Sawdust Maker
17th May 2011, 08:29 PM
Sunday's are usually ok for me

[after I bring someone home from aths training] so late mornin' - maybe I should bring my young chap so Ray can really see how food is shovelled down :o

wheelinround
17th May 2011, 09:54 PM
Sunday's are usually ok for me

[after I bring someone home from aths training] so late mornin' - maybe I should bring my young chap so Ray can really see how food is shovelled down :o

Having you to learn from Nick he'd have a hard act to follow :q

Sunday 29th May is clear at this point in time Dave ?? :roll:

nz_carver
17th May 2011, 11:44 PM
Rite I'll play golf on the Saturday 28th
To free up the 29th:D

So Sunday 29th from around 10

Pat
18th May 2011, 05:29 AM
Sounds ok to me, I'll confirm tonight after conferring with MBGitW.

turnerted
18th May 2011, 05:23 PM
Sunday 29th should be OK for me .
Ted

Pat
18th May 2011, 05:43 PM
I got the ok from the boss :U

Christos
19th May 2011, 08:28 PM
I should be ok for the 29th. What do you require me to bring?

Sawdust Maker
19th May 2011, 08:49 PM
I should be ok for the 29th. What do you require me to bring?

coffee :D

wheelinround
20th May 2011, 04:53 PM
coffee :D

& Jane

Greg Ward
20th May 2011, 05:32 PM
I'll be there.
Got to bring Pat's burls and Dave's camphor slab......... and perhaps some rosewood.
Any other pre www show stuff needed?
Greg

wheelinround
20th May 2011, 06:08 PM
Dave
Pat
Ray & Sue
Ted & his latest works
Hughie & tools
Greg & wood
Nick
Christos

Ok guys things have changed at Dave's (in the shed) is no longer a shed but a storage/distribution centre for wayward work benches :U
With the latest bench big enough to have a banquet at:q

nz_carver
20th May 2011, 06:20 PM
Ok guys things have changed at Dave's (in the shed) is no longer a shed but a storage/distribution centre for wayward work benches :U
With the latest bench big enough to have a banquet at:q

well it can be the same at yours Ray but see I know Sue will not Let you have
anymore workbenchs:q:q

hmm so Sue about that mub cake?
you know we can have a little thing like me going to waste:B

No tiff that day shes working:no:

Pat
20th May 2011, 06:39 PM
Dave, I seem to recall that you were fading away to giant:U

I'll call in and raid Ray and Sue's fridge, before I get to yours:q

wheelinround
20th May 2011, 06:46 PM
Dave best time for arrival ?

nz_carver
20th May 2011, 10:00 PM
Well say 930 10.00

Pat can u bring your bandsaw blade making thing?
The one u made me is a little big

nz_carver
22nd May 2011, 02:33 PM
Hey all bit of help I'm in need of a bit of ply or mdf
2m long by 35 cm wide if u have somethink of that size fell free to bring it

And we will as normal be haveing a light lunch

Pat
22nd May 2011, 03:30 PM
Hey all bit of help I'm in need of a bit of ply or mdf
2m long by 35 cm wide if u have somethink of that size fell free to bring it

And we will as normal be haveing a light lunch

Will 16mm White Melamine do?

nz_carver
22nd May 2011, 03:56 PM
Yeah mate it's just to stick my golf putting mat down to:2tsup:

Pat
22nd May 2011, 04:04 PM
OK, so I'll bring the 2000 x 350 Melamine and my bandsaw blade joiner.

I might bring some "offcuts" from blank making as well, currently Redgum and Coolibah burl. Free to a good/bad/otherwise home.

wheelinround
22nd May 2011, 04:59 PM
I might bring some "offcuts" from blank making as well, currently Redgum and Coolibah burl. Free to a good/bad/otherwise home.

:innocent: If they reach Daves place will be a miracle :;

Christos
22nd May 2011, 06:55 PM

I like to see that. :U

nz_carver
22nd May 2011, 07:40 PM

U seen to forget I'm the one with wood pat likes food:q

wheelinround
22nd May 2011, 09:35 PM
U seen to forget I'm the one with wood pat likes food:q

You seem to forget Pat passes my door first he also loves chocolate and your request for chocolate mud cake was it not? It may not arrive at the GtG being that Pat has graced or is that grazed at our table he knows where the food is best. :harhar:

Pat
22nd May 2011, 09:45 PM
Seems like I've stirred up the pot ( I love it when a plan comes together:U )

I might have to prepare some more blanks during the week. Pen blanks are what size? 20*20*150ish.

The current offcuts are around 40*40*200ish for Bench/Mortice/Cutlery handles.

I do have some Qld Maple blocks for eggs/goblets somewhere in the shed.

Sawdust Maker
22nd May 2011, 09:53 PM
I woudn't say no to a couple of bits of redgum :no:

wheelinround
22nd May 2011, 10:08 PM
Pat I am fine for wood plenty in stock will leave it for the others ........................of course I'll have to still check whats there make sure its all ok. These pen turners are fussy fellows.

nz_carver
23rd May 2011, 12:57 AM
That's fine you boys can fight over little pen blanks
Just wait till you see the little bit of wood I'm getting or Greg
It will look good on that little work bench of mine

wheelinround
23rd May 2011, 01:06 PM
Dave
Pat
Ray & Sue
Ted & his latest works
Hughie & tools
Greg & wood
Nick
Christos
Fletty ( Dave pm Fletty your address please) TY
Ozceltic (Liam & Wendy) possible maybe
Ross

wheelinround
26th May 2011, 12:51 PM
Hum seems a few of us have been stricken down with the latest flu, including Dave himself at this stage all is GO.

Dave did mention he had lunch organised as usual + Via Sue Death by Chocolate cake.:U

I have tried to raise him :no: stay tuned.

Edited UPDATE Dave is alive and well being to a turning club all day couldnt here his phone ringing.:roll:

Ok major food is taken care of (spoke to Dave's mum) Dave's dad has sourced as usual. So fellows its the usual $5 kick in to help with costs if anyone wishes to bring a salad etc or extra desert Pat will scoff the lot.:U

nz_carver
27th May 2011, 01:45 PM
Ok boys I'm alive looking fwd to a catch up
If it's freezing the workshop door might be closed
(heater on ) so use front door
Ray just knock and I'll open workshop door for u

If any ones going to play on the lathe you will need to bring your
M30 chuck as mine is in use

As Ray says $5 in the hat for lunch

If any one has wood I'm happy to give it a home

Oh if u got sandpaper plz help me!!!

I have some turning DVDs for the ones that want to watch them

Ok I'm off to sort out a work bench
Have fun get on ya lathe

Pat
27th May 2011, 03:03 PM
M30 chuck as mine is in use

The Titan might a bit big for your dinky little lathe :U

nz_carver
27th May 2011, 03:55 PM
It's not about size it's how u use it!!

wheelinround
27th May 2011, 04:09 PM
I'll bring one over Dave along with Gas gun silversolder cake dah dah dah

Greg Ward
27th May 2011, 05:22 PM
Um.... I just measured your little 600mm wide board and it is around 700-800mm wide.....sorry you'll just have trim it!
Pat in the boot are two beautiful burls, I reckon you could have an auction and double your money on the spot; and the couple of rock maple shorts
Turner Ted, got around 6 burls and you can choose the one you like, the rest I'll take to the Sydney www show.
See you Sunday
Greg

wheelinround
27th May 2011, 05:29 PM
Um.... I just measured your little 600mm wide board and it is around 700-800mm wide.....sorry you'll just have trim it!
Pat in the boot are two beautiful burls, I reckon you could have an auction and double your money on the spot; and the couple of rock maple shorts
Turner Ted, got around 6 burls and you can choose the one you like, the rest I'll take to the Sydney www show.
See you Sunday
Greg

Pat's got the lurgy Greg and won't be able to make it said i could pick them up for him :U

Pat
27th May 2011, 05:56 PM
Pat's got the lurgy Greg and won't be able to make it said i could pick them up for him :U

Ray, I love you like a brother, but touch my burls :punching::minigun::;

wheelinround
27th May 2011, 06:19 PM
Ray, I love you like a brother, but touch my burls :punching::minigun::;

You know me Pat I'd treat them as though they were my own .................or yours trim them up store them and when your all better and ready to turn them would :rolleyes::? burls what burls.:U

Sawdust Maker
27th May 2011, 08:19 PM
Gee, Pat must be crook, he's really touchy about his wood

Hey Pat - should I give the piece of cherry to Ray to look after as well?

Seriously
You going to be there on Sunday?

Pat
27th May 2011, 08:25 PM
I'm on the improve. I rate myself 75% chance, which is up from yesterdays 50%.

I'll do my best, throwing garlic, chilli, ginger & various pills down my screech to kill off the germs and have been resting for the last 2 days. Damn inconsiderate germs!

Christos
27th May 2011, 08:55 PM
I'm on the improve. I rate myself 75% chance, which is up from yesterdays 50%.

I'll do my best, throwing garlic, chilli, ginger & various pills down my screech to kill off the germs and have been resting for the last 2 days. Damn inconsiderate germs!

Not to mention the people around you with that much going in. Better warn people when you feel one.....

wheelinround
27th May 2011, 09:16 PM
:lolabove:

:oo: Us all in a shed with one way out and Pat having eaten garlic:flamed2:

nz_carver
28th May 2011, 01:35 PM
Looks like a nice day for Sunday :2tsup:
Just working on one or to things in the shop
Got nice little gift for Pat:U

Pat
28th May 2011, 02:59 PM
Looks like a nice day for Sunday :2tsup:
Just working on one or to things in the shop
Got nice little gift for Pat:U

Wot, you going to give me the little Yellow Peril. Geez that's an ask, I'd have to rearrange the new shed for 5th time this year, but for a little brother to the Yellow Peril, I'll suffer it:q

BTW, anyone want some offcuts of Coolibah burl? Roughly 45mm2, various lengths. 1 or 2 resemble banana's, as someone was cutting freehand and did not want his fingers to close to the 20mm bandsaw blade, currently asking for harder wood.

wheelinround
28th May 2011, 03:04 PM
Wot, you going to give me the little Yellow Peril. Geez that's an ask, I'd have to rearrange the new shed for 5th time this year, but for a little brother to the Yellow Peril, I'll suffer it:q

BTW, anyone want some offcuts of Coolibah burl? Roughly 45mm2, various lengths. 1 or 2 resemble banana's, as someone was cutting freehand and did not want his fingers to close to the 20mm bandsaw blade, currently asking for harder wood.

:D pls

nz_carver
28th May 2011, 03:52 PM
Yeah mate wood plz
There's a litte bag on the back wall
It might some may say it might help with your could

Pat
29th May 2011, 08:09 AM
Time to get this show on the road, car's packed, ready to roll:U

nz_carver
29th May 2011, 08:45 AM
See u soon

wheelinround
29th May 2011, 08:50 AM
:2tsup:

Back pack has got requested things in Death by Chocolate sits waiting. See you soon

wheelinround
29th May 2011, 06:13 PM
Well thats another Sydney GtG at Nz_carvers thanks Dave (also to mum and dad for allowing it)..

Present today
Pat, Turner Ted, Sawdust Maker Nick, Christos, Fletty, Ray & Sue, Greg Ward, Nz_carver (Dave).

Pat called inn on the way through so i got first pick at his bag of off cuts :U .......I only took 3 small ones. Thanks Pat. Pat had planned to call in but :rolleyes::roll: Ah yeh um :;

Off to Daves, TT was there and we soon had shortened Daves BS blade which was made 10cm too long last time fitted and tested. Next an insert problem and check to see what type of Chuck was what. Morning tea as Christos arrived with the coffee.

Greg Ward arrives and burls and slabs were flying into boots as fast as kites on a windy day.

Dave worked hard in is apron in the kitchen cooking up a storm, Dave catered this one all on his own except for the Chocolate cake (Sue) and Chicken n Chips which was supplied by Fletty.

We all were in awe of Daves carving of a Polar Bear and its progress since we were last there, can't hurry these things artists hate being pushed to a time frame.

Pic 1 Motley Crew Left Nick ( please), Pat ( worn out sitting), Greg, Ted, Fletty ( not bad for 61 yr old fellow who'd run all the way), Christos.

Pic 2 Left overs the animals attacked before i could get a shot of the loads of food.

Pic 3 Cake Pic 4 Pats Burl Pic 5 Nz's Camphor slab (note Pat's almost in shock when he see's the size of it) Pic 6 the Camphor Pic 7 Pat 1st round Pic 8 Nz's latest bowl spalted English Oak.

Thanks for a great day gents even though the cold could have ruined it and it was only the rain starting that brought about our early finish.:2tsup::2tsup:

Oh yeh Pat remembered why he called in he needed a chuck key for his Jacobs 34 $10 drill chuck .........well called in on way home yep I had one that suited.

wheelinround
29th May 2011, 06:17 PM
Oh forgot Ted showing off his 3 sided fancy candle holders and the jig for turning them

Christos
29th May 2011, 06:36 PM
The cake was very nice and I tried to explain it to Sue but I could not think at the time.

I had some time to think now and I hope to explain a little better.

Some time ago my company had a Christmas party, and we are talking many years 10 to 15. This was held at one of the 5 star hotels in Sydney (I will not mention the name of the hotel mainly because I can not recall) in one of their function centers that hold 500 or so people.

As part of desert there was a chocolate cake that I would consider to be one of the best chocolate cakes that I have tasted. Not too sweet and melted in the mouth. The cake I had eaten today was to this level and in competion with the one I had in the 5 star hotel.

Should also add, thank you Sue.

Christos
29th May 2011, 06:43 PM
I forgot to say thank you Dave for the lunch and thanks guys for the great company.

Always good to catch up with wooden people :rolleyes: and hope to see you guys at the Sydney Wood Working show.

Pat
29th May 2011, 08:52 PM
Another day of lies, deceit and balderdash. It's always good to catch up with people you trade insults over the forum. They, the insults started with the arrival of Ray and continued through the day.:U

Thanks to Dave for feeding us and supplying the venue, Tiff for putting up with us after getting home from work, the boys for an educational and fun day, Sue for the CAKE and the RTA for the expletive deleted roadworks to and from.

Ted also brought along a tiny platter, hopefully one of the paparazzi got a pic.

BTW, the little drill chuck will be going to deserving home at the show.

Sawdust Maker
29th May 2011, 09:58 PM
Great few hours
Thanks all

My camera was hardly used - got a picture of the cake - but that's been done

Wongo
29th May 2011, 10:58 PM
Is the Australia's most wanted man? Oh it is Pat. My bad. :D

Sawdust Maker
29th May 2011, 11:28 PM
Is the Australia's most wanted man? Oh it is Pat. My bad. :D

Careful

I'll pick you up and take you to the next one:2tsup:

munruben
30th May 2011, 08:56 AM
Pleased to see you guys having a good time at Daves. Would love to have been there but a bit too far unfortunately.:)

turnerted
30th May 2011, 05:08 PM
Thanks to all concerned . See you next at the www show .
Ted

hughie
31st May 2011, 09:18 PM
I couldnt make it SWMBO bought some chickens and yours truly had to make the Chicken run and house etc. The Grandchildren loved em, but it took longer than I thought to get it all done :C

wheelinround
31st May 2011, 09:44 PM
I couldnt make it SWMBO bought some chickens and yours truly had to make the Chicken run and house etc. The Grandchildren loved em, but it took longer than I thought to get it all done :C

Pat said the next (meaning the this one) was to be at your place. It could have all been built by lunch time.

powderpost
31st May 2011, 10:03 PM
Who sharpened the chisels? :)
Jim

Sawdust Maker
31st May 2011, 10:17 PM

Hughie

you don't really need turned posts for a chook shed :p

Christos
31st May 2011, 10:42 PM
Hughie

you don't really need turned posts for a chook shed :p

If he wants turned post he can have turned posts. :U

wheelinround
31st May 2011, 11:05 PM
Having the chickens there would have saved Fletty buy that BBQ one he got.:p