PDA

View Full Version : Home made Face Plate Sander

Black Bear
19th May 2011, 12:24 PM
The beast and its component parts....Now the modifications start, like a different table set up. The sliding square is no part of this machine, it comes off the BS.

The motor is on a sliding hing to allow for self centering of the belt and pulleys.

A 1.2'' chuck.

I have been sanding Rosewood.

BB

orraloon
19th May 2011, 01:39 PM
Looks like a handy bit of gear BB,
Ok give us the details. Where did all the bits come from and was there a lot of engineering to do in the build.
Regards
John

Black Bear
19th May 2011, 06:02 PM
Looks like a handy bit of gear BB,
Ok give us the details. Where did all the bits come from and was there a lot of engineering to do in the build.
Regards
John

Okay. To start: I don't have a lathe to put a face plate sander on, so I was obliged to think, which can be a most painful experience at times.

I use a mates lathe, over the road for other stuff.

I did have a 1/4hp motor to start, which did the job but it was working a bit hard.

I bought two bearings, off Tom, as seen in one of the photos at the top of the pulley system $40.00.

A 9/16 shaft, I scrounged. The pulleys X 3 @ $15.00....$45.00

The 600W motor free..fan and cowling $5.00 Capacitor $19.00

Bits and pieces for the sliding hinge for the motor mount and other bits of stuff I scrounged from Tom the engineer ( I do things for Tom in return for his assistance and we are still good mates, so it must be working)

I had a pulley for the motor, but Tom had to put a sleeve in for the new motor.

I bought the drive belt and If I remember correctly it was about $15.00

The machine has 3 speeds on the pulley system and the sliding hinge self centers the belt.

Engineering: The shaft and key ways for the top pulley system. Sleeve and key way for the bottom pulley. Cutting and sizing the shaft on the 600w motor and slotting a key way in the drive side of the shaft on that motor. I would suggest at proper costing this would amount to around $150.00.

That is about all I can think of for the moment.

BB

Ad de Crom
19th May 2011, 06:43 PM
Hoi BB, looks like a well designed sander.
Think the disc is 300mm, am I right?
Modifications after using it for the first time?
Not always a 100% hit after building it, that would be a miracle.
Ad

thompy
19th May 2011, 07:28 PM
Looks awesome BB, looks like its well sorted after your concerns with the fan. Really well done mate.

Neal.

Black Bear
20th May 2011, 09:47 AM
Hoi BB, looks like a well designed sander.
Think the disc is 300mm, am I right?
Modifications after using it for the first time?
Not always a 100% hit after building it, that would be a miracle.
Ad

Just a tad under 300mm. I have an aluminum plate that I screw a 300mm cut board onto for the sanding disc. I have used Velcro back pad and Velcro disc but it makes the plate a bit spongy. Best to glue onto board, such as form ply.

The beauty of having Tom as a mate is everything was trued up on his lathe, so there is no wobble in anything.

Black Bear
22nd May 2011, 05:09 PM
I found a couple of pics of the sliding hinge that is useful in self centering the pulley belt as I change top pulleys for different speeds.

I hope they are of interest to someone. The sleeve is fixed with a couple of grub screws and can be adjusted if needed.

The blue motor was the original 1/4 HP one. As it turned out the 600W motor interchanged without any adjustment.

BB

munruben
22nd May 2011, 05:27 PM
A good size disc sander is welcome in any woodworking shop. well done.:2tsup: