PDA

View Full Version : Falling in love, with turning and my new toy....

CharlieC
22nd May 2011, 09:49 PM
Hey folks,
Having started lessons and done heaps of reading and research, I can honestly say I am now hooked on turning. It's been something that has taken me to nearly 40 to pursue (better late than never I suppose) but I am just loving it.

Also having done my research and living in Adelaide (right at the source), I am now the happy owner of a Woodfast M305 lathe. I just love this machine. For a beginner it's awesome, well built and uncomplicated, with heaps of flexibility to turn a range of items. I can see myself having years of unbridled enjoyment from this lathe.

I look forward to the journey ahead and sharing it with you folks. :U

CC

Ozkaban
23rd May 2011, 08:58 AM
Welcome aboard and enjoy your trip... it will be fun and expensive :D

You'll enjoy the woodfast - a good little lathe.

Oh, and don't forget to post the stuff you make. We love piccies :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

brendan stemp
23rd May 2011, 10:16 AM
Welcome CharlieC. I know how you feel; woodturning is very addictive and so much fun. The next thing you need to do is book yourself into SATurn 11 which is August this year. Contact Cate Wrigley on cate@comstech.com You will have a ball and get the opportunity to learn so much all for free.

coffenup
24th May 2011, 07:56 AM
welcome charlie
another south aussie here. I too have the woodfast 305 midi lathe had mine for 3 years & still loving it
It does have it limits but I love turning
Enjoy
regards Michael

Grommett
24th May 2011, 07:22 PM
Welcome Charlie, yes turning is addictive. You have to love the Woodfast. Mine is a second hand C1000, from about 1992 at a guess, and is a solid pleasure to use. You made a good choice.:2tsup:

orificiam
24th May 2011, 09:20 PM
Hi Charlie welcome to Woodturning.I too have a Woodfast M305 I've had it for 2 years now and as not missed a beat.
Cheers Tony.:)

coffenup
25th May 2011, 07:39 AM
where are you doing your lessons charlie
regards michael

artme
25th May 2011, 09:30 AM
Goodonya Charlie!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

We are all crazies together, so you need never feel alone!!:D:D

cookie48
25th May 2011, 05:00 PM
Good on yah cobber. Another Crow Eater to show these Easteners that there are people living east of the border. Oh yeh welcome.

CharlieC
25th May 2011, 10:46 PM
Cheers for the replies folks, glad to add myself to the SA turning fraternity.
Michael, I am taking lessons through Macwood out at Norwood to answer your question.

chuck1
28th May 2011, 05:25 PM
aahhhh biten by the the bug! congrats! there is alot of fun ahead of you

oldstoker
31st May 2011, 07:55 PM
Welcome to the club Charlie, I see that a few of you other turners have woodfast lathes, and say that they are pretty good. I have just started to get into pen turning and am looking into getting a mini lathe, it is a toss-up between the woodfast M305 or the Carbatec mini lathe. Can anyone help me with this?
I was told that the woodfast although a very good lathe can be a bit of a pain when changing the belts over. Would like some feedback, thanks...
Regards Joe

coffenup
31st May 2011, 10:01 PM
changing the belts on the woodfast m305 is simple. you flip down the belt cover at the end of the lathe & loosen the tensioner and the belt comes off aor speed changed its so simple
regards Michael

oldstoker
31st May 2011, 10:09 PM
Thanks for that, will have to check one out.

CharlieC
31st May 2011, 11:34 PM
As Michael said changing the belt on the woodfast takes seconds, easy as, couldn't be simpler.
Can't comment on the carbatec as I have not used one.

Grommett
1st Jun 2011, 07:50 PM
Don't know about the newer woodfast models but on my oldie (C1000) it's a piece of something, takes seconds.