PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts for Earing Holder

smidsy
13th December 2004, 08:19 PM
Been asked to make an earing holder for a friend.
I'm thinking a base of pine about 70mm and a round upright out of jarrah about 150mm high. Around the top half of the upright I figure on small holes to take studs (she has a lot of them) and around the lower half small dowels sticking out for sleepers.
Anyone made one before, got any thoughts or ideas?
Cheers
Paul

RETIRED
13th December 2004, 11:39 PM
Make the base about 150mm in diam and dish it like a shallow bowl so that odd bits and pieces that can't hang can be put in there. It always amazes me the amount of stuff women collect. :D

KevM
14th December 2004, 07:40 AM
Sounds like you are talking about an ear ring mushroom holder. Image a stalk around 75 mm high with the mushroom top turned out of a 75-100mm blank. The edges are drilled at regular intervals to take the hanging ear rings.

They are fairly common here in Tasmanian craft outlets for the tourists to purchase.

Kev M

barnsey
14th December 2004, 10:53 AM
Yeah all those dangley thingies and studs

The suggestions so far all seem good. One I saw was basically a picture frame with fly wire in it. You can then hang some put studs through it etc.

If you used some brass wire it would dress it up a bit :D

FWIW

Jamie

HappyHammer
14th December 2004, 11:12 AM
Ears are always a winner :D :D

Sprog
14th December 2004, 01:01 PM
How about something like this.
Holes around top perimeter
Base dished

barnsey
14th December 2004, 01:50 PM
Nice design Sprog ;)

Is it a Sprog original or did you find it elsewhere.? :confused:

Think I've just come up with SWMBO's and the 17 yo's chrissy presents :D :D :D
Only that it's 36 in the shade here today with better than 85% humidity and the barometer is falling so fast it's unbelievable. Think I'll go down to the lathe and make a start :p :p till the storms hit :eek: Then I'll open a coldie to thank you :D :D :D

Jamie

Alastair
14th December 2004, 03:16 PM
Jamie

Definitely agree.

Sprog won't mind if we "Adapt with Pride" I'm sure.

That and a dovetailed jewellry box should do it!

Sprog
14th December 2004, 05:37 PM
Nice design Sprog ;)

Is it a Sprog original or did you find it elsewhere.? :confused:

Think I've just come up with SWMBO's and the 17 yo's chrissy presents :D :D :D
Only that it's 36 in the shade here today

Jamie

No, the only credit I can claim is to saving the picture :D
I can't remeber where it came from so I can not give due credit to the original designer.

Just beat you, it is 40 out in the back yard here. I have some birds in aviaries and they are not very happy, just been out spraying water over them.
I am definately keeping well away from the workshop today :D :D

old logger
20th December 2004, 09:44 AM
Hi guys,
This is my first postand would like to thank Sprog as this close to the holidays,it gives me the answer as to what to give my sister in law.I think I may have you beat though in temp. as it is presently at minus 22 C. here in the Great White North.As I have Recently bought a house(a year ago)without a shop,then I am relegated to setting up in a 14' camper with no heat.This morning I was able to turn a simple 8" plate and burn a bald eagle head on it for my brother.I am thrilled that so many people have shared their experiences and as such have helped me increase my knowledge.Now if I can acquire the wisdom to go along with it then I'll be laughing.Happy holidays to all.

smidsy
20th December 2004, 01:27 PM
Welcome to the forum.
If you really don't like that weather I'll happily trade you, here in Perth Western Australia we have a temp today of 34c - I think in farenheit that's high 80's or low 90's.
Cheers
Paul

echnidna
20th December 2004, 01:33 PM
Its not that long ago that someone from Perth was rubbishing Victorian weather.
Today's temp near Warrnambool is a balmy 20c or thereabouts.
So you are both welcome to your too hot or too cold weather.

smidsy
20th December 2004, 01:48 PM
Its not that long ago that someone from Perth was rubbishing Victorian weather..

But Rob we West Aussies just like to rubbish Victoria :p

Cheers
Paul

echnidna
20th December 2004, 01:50 PM
jealous of our great weather hey :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :p

barnsey
20th December 2004, 03:19 PM
Jealous of Victorian weather :confused: you've got to be joshin'

Only place in the world where you can have all seasons in one day :rolleyes:

I'll stick with the eveness up here thanks beautiful one day - perfect the next :p :p

smidsy
20th December 2004, 03:26 PM
Why do you that in Vic the motto is "If you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes" :D

Cheers
Paul

echnidna
20th December 2004, 03:27 PM
Jealous of Victorian weather :confused: you've got to be joshin'

Only place in the world where you can have all seasons in one day :rolleyes:

I'll stick with the eveness up here thanks beautiful one day - perfect the next :p :p

cept it dont rain often enough so you often have water restrictions.
an the banana benders are even worse off,
beautiful beaches - but u cant swim regular coz of the stingers n' jellfish n' sharks n' salties etc.

Coldest hole I ever struck in Australia was northern nsw near the qld border -- got up one morning with snow all over the caravan and annexe, headed south real fast back to the nice weather.

ribot
22nd December 2004, 03:27 PM
Well, thanks for the idea. I just turned up a 6" shallow dish in red gum for the 11 yr/old. dish has 2 steps so that it is actually a 3" in the centre then stepped again around 5" mark so that it appears to be three shallow dishes in one, if you understand this. Told the wife I might add a centre post however she suggested it looks better as is.

I will leave it as is however I will be trying a centre post one first chance after xmas festivities.

Sprog
22nd December 2004, 05:15 PM
Well, thanks for the idea.
I will be trying a centre post one first chance after xmas festivities.

Just a tip, don't try to turn it out of one piece, turn seperate pieces and then blend together.

ribot
23rd December 2004, 12:47 PM
Thanks sprog, that was the way I want to do it, I just hate standing at the lathe shaving of perfectly good wood into mulch.