PDA

View Full Version : Lathe recommendation

TK1
28th May 2011, 10:19 PM
Hi all,

Just seeking some input/advice.

I am looking at getting a metalworking lathe. Only after a small one for model work and small parts (I mainly build model ships and some othersmall projects, and hang out on the woodwork side of the forums mainly). I also want something lower-end pricewise.

So I am looking at the C1 or C2 lathe (Sieg, Carbatec & Hafco all seem the same). However have also seen the Sieg N1 Nano lathe (100mm between centres & 100mm swing). The Nano looks OK but low power, limited size (may not be an issue) and round lathe bed bar may not be as accurate as a flat cast iron one).

I know that a bigger lather can do smaller work, so will be limited with a smaller lathe, but lack of both money and space mean I'm looking at these smaller models.

So - I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of people with actual metalwork exerience what they think of these? Are the 1/5 hp motors underpowered (I'll mainly be turning brass and aluminium)? Are they OK generally?

I appreciate any thoughts, feedback or advice.

Regards,
Darren

Stustoys
29th May 2011, 12:25 AM
Hi Darren
For starters haven't used any of the lathes you are talking about.
Be interesting to see what the Nano goes for.
Do you want to cut threads?
The AL_30 isnt much cheaper than the AL-50 once you add a 4 jaw and faceplate(of course if you dont have the space you dont have the space)

Stuart