PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy Pier under the house

HappyHammer
14th December 2004, 09:54 AM
I've noticed a slight dip in my floor and after a quick peak under the house have discovered a gap of about 60mm between a pier in the approximate area and the floor joist.

I've never touched anything like this before so advice on fixing it up very welcome. I'm sure I saw somewhere a guys jack up the floor far enough to get additional bricks in, is this a good / bad idea? I have a Blue Gum floor above and I don't want to damage it.

HH.

barnsey
14th December 2004, 10:20 AM
HH

In general what you say is correct however to have a gap of 60mm is pretty severe. Can you determine what has happen with the pier? Is it dropping in to the ground or has there been a packing come off the top of it.? :confused:

Jamie

HappyHammer
14th December 2004, 10:47 AM
My guess is that it was loose due to movement in the floor and the plumber who fitted my kitchen about 12 months ago has knocked into it and not told me.

I've also heard of wedges you can use for the last inch or so anyone know if these exist?

HH.

Thommo
14th December 2004, 11:48 AM
Hi HH, We had a similar problem at our place a couple of years ago

What I did was got a car jack, put some flat wood on the ground, so that the jack doesnt sink into the ground, and jack up till level.

I used pine wedges, that we made our selfs, the ones that you use to get door frames straight.

Being 60mm out you will have to use a spacer first then place the wedges in util the correct level.

Get your better half with a level to keep yelling at you when it is level

Hope this helps and hope it makes sense:D

Thommo

barnsey
14th December 2004, 11:55 AM
HH

I'd get a straight edge long enough to span the distance between existing piers that are bearing weight then get a jack to lift the joist right next to the dodgy pier. You should find you can get the straight edge flat on the floor.
Measure the gap you've then got between pier and joist and cut a hardwood block to go under the joist. Make it significantly wider than the joist, to span the top of the pier and a tight fit so it won't quite go in say 1-2mm over size. Give the jack another lift to get the block in, centered under the joist length ways and then let the jack go. All should be hunky dory. :D

Check it again down the track a while to make sure everything is still good and tight. If it ain't I'd start to check the footing of the pier :rolleyes:

I've restumped a couple of places - the first with a professional (very tight access), the second myself (sandy soil and more room). :rolleyes:
The above is based on that experience and I assume all your other piers are sound and not in need of replacement. ;)

FWIW

Jamie

HappyHammer
14th December 2004, 12:01 PM
Thanks a lot both of you I'll give it a go this weekend and let you know how I go.

HH.

Thommo
29th August 2005, 10:33 PM
Hi Happyhammer, was just gong thru some old threads and came across this and was wondering how it all went in the end.

Cheers Thommo

HappyHammer
29th September 2005, 06:24 PM
I sold the house and moved up the coast and didn't bother to do anything about it.:o

HH.