PDA

View Full Version : wire burn bowl and a captive ring

thompy
30th May 2011, 04:43 PM
Thought i'd dig this out of my lathe post and repost here in case anyone else might want to have a gander at my 2nd and 3rd turnings on the new beast.

On sunday, grabbed all the chisels and trudged out to the grinder in the shed, ground em up (new $3 chisel angle guage). Came back in and saw a workbench pine offcut of 140x45. Made a bowl and tried out a wire burn technique (pic 1). It's sitting on top of the same stuff i cut it from. I realised my mistake in not using a different chucking method when i got close to thickness (pic 2)

The neighbour saturday night broght me over a flouro to help my lighting, and returned sunday as i was finishing the bowl and handed me a small limb of hickory to try (pic 3), think he felt sorry for me using my pine lol. I figured o well time to stretch my boundaries some, the wood spoke to me, so captive ring here i come.

I call it my Lord of the rings...eggcup. lol. (pics 4 & 5) i gave it back to him later in the day, he was very impressed and cut me more hickory to use (evil plan..sucsessful!! )

Embarrassing as it is i only have 120 grit bunny's no clog paper to hand atm. So the tea light the bowl and the eggcup are all finished to 120# EEE an glow.

(quietly incredibly happy with the finish i'm getting, and it will get better, i dont think eee really works well till you can get it 400# +)

Neal.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th May 2011, 05:15 PM
I realised my mistake in not using a different chucking method when i got close to thickness (pic 2)

At least you caught it before it became firewood. Good save!

You're doing very well considering what you have. 120grit? [shudder]

:U:;

Ad de Crom
30th May 2011, 06:40 PM
Neil, lovely pine bowl with well executed beads.
Wire burning works well isn't it, anyway I find.
You were lucky with not going through the bottom :oo:
Ad

Ozkaban
31st May 2011, 08:46 AM
Wow, well done, especially with that egg cup. Very neat.

120 grit! Wow! You'll find that the finish you get wont stay as shiny for as long as it will using finer grits. Sandpaperman (http://www.thesandpaperman.com.au/) has a lot of nice stuff on his website, good service and is (much) cheaper than bunnings, delivery taken into account... :cool:

Cheers,
Dave

Cliff Rogers
31st May 2011, 08:56 AM
I've made a couple of bowls with see-through bottoms over the years. :D

thompy
31st May 2011, 04:01 PM
Yea Dave cheers, Manly West is basically 2 suburbs away from me, and i met Mr. and Mrs. Sandpaperman at the woodshow, so they know i'm coming :winksmiley02: waiting for payday then i'll be making a trip.

And thanks for lookin fella's, appreciate the positive backpats, really happy with myself at present. I've forgotten more than i remembered about turning, whitch wasn't a lot to begin with, though it seems i managed to keep a little talent and justified (to myself at least) the cost of setting up in wood again.

Neal.